installing governments NHS app

river4ever

river4ever
Reaction score
Im not one for conspiracies.
But with recent leaks from Edward Snowden about snooping and spying on its people, do people really trust the app for privacy?
Of course many apps can not be trusted but i dont trust the government at the best of times, especially around privacy after the snoopers charter bill was passed into law several years ago. For me i think there “maybe” a more sinister reason for this app.
For me i sure to god wont be installing the app.

Im not one for conspiracies.
But with recent leaks from Edward Snowden about snooping and spying on its people, do people really trust the app for privacy?
Of course many apps can not be trusted but i dont trust the government at the best of times, especially around privacy after the snoopers charter bill was passed into law several years ago. For me i think there “maybe” a more sinister reason for this app.
For me i sure to god wont be installing the app.

I don't even trust my Hauwei at the best of times. I shall decline the offer of installing :).

i dont trust it but if it saves lives then i am in. really if there snooping on me then there using resourses that would be better used else where
and as long as its where i have been then nothing to hide. will just leave my phone at home when i go to buy crack and pick up the shotgun.
gps data and bluetooth keys passed by bluetooth is a small price to pay to save lives and get the wife back to work

I'm afraid that's what a lot of people think, for whatever reason. This app unfortunately won't work for that very reason. The whole idea of it is to save lives but won't do a jot if a certain percentage don't use it.
I can't for the life of me imagine why Joe Public thinks the Government has any interest in their lives!!!

Install the app, let it bring lockdown closer and once the crisis is over uninstall it.

I'm afraid that's what a lot of people think, for whatever reason. This app unfortunately won't work for that very reason. The whole idea of it is to save lives but won't do a jot if a certain percentage don't use it.
I can't for the life of me imagine why Joe Public thinks the Government has any interest in their lives!!!

Install the app, let it bring lockdown closer and once the crisis is over uninstall it.

I'm sure you can imagine where it will go though.

They might eventually sell this data, like with Summary Care, I can't remember the database information flow. I can post the charts if people want.

All information is worth something to someone.

In the short time it'll be in use we are supposed to be distancing or shielding. Our closeness to friends etc; is supposed to be limited. If someone is trying their best to follow the guidelines there should be little to no information collected.

In the short time it'll be in use we are supposed to be distancing or shielding. Our closeness to friends etc; is supposed to be limited. If someone is trying their best to follow the guidelines there should be little to no information collected.

Is it only mapping personal contact though? Does it look at what transport you were on, shops you were in etc?

Is it only mapping personal contact though? Does it look at what transport you were on, shops you were in etc?
Can't see how as it's only supposed to collect data through bluetooth if I remember correctly

I don't even trust my Hauwei at the best of times. I shall decline the offer of installing :).

Your chinese over lords have already installed it ;)

I wont be installing the app, im all for social distancing etc, but the app isn't going to be useful imo. There are better ways to spend the money that this will have cost. For me it's just a simple way for the government to start mass surveillance. Which will likely quickly be discovered by those that will reverse engineer the app, which in turn will then be released as an update by a nefarious country, and they've got all the information they require.

ment to pass your bluetooth keys to people close enught to pick up your devices keys and vice versa if one of these users tell the app of the symptoms then any key its been near will get an alert

Can't see how as it's only supposed to collect data through bluetooth if I remember correctly

Oh, I remember reading that now. What sort of handshake/pairing is it using to talk to neighbouring phones?

Aside from that, it's uploading data to somewhere and it could be location.

I used to keep away from most people before this all started :).

Wouldn't need to pair I wouldn't have thought. Just the fact that you both have the app installed would show that there has been possible contact between you. Must keep some sort of list of bluetooth devices which have the app installed that have been near to you.

I've never read up on this app, what is it meant to do? if there's someone nearby who's got the virus will it
send you a text saying "watch that c*nt behind you he's got it"

6 weeks ago I'd be in the get yerself tae feck camp but now I'll be honest guys this isolation is getting to me,
I'm a social person, I need to get back to work not for the money but for my sanity, so yes I'll do it. 😞

I still bet we'll get some clown saying he's got the symptoms then waving his phone around somewhere.

As @janobi said “mass surveillance” comes to mind. Unfortunately uninstalling any app/programme does not remove malware or other spying tools.
The government always wanted mass surveillance on its citizens, this to me is an easy way to do it. I cant trust the government and in return cant trust the app, especially when the National Cyber Security Centre developed it.

Seriously guys, the data protection boyos will be all over this. Would any Government dare intentionally to deceive it's population? especially at this time. None of us here are important enough that they give a flying fook what you do so long as you aren't prolonging this pandemic.

Of course if you go along with that revelation that the Chinese have already reverse engineered it and somehow the Chinese find you at all interesting, then don't install it and break the possible chain of contact. On the other hand but still unsure then I say if you've got nothing to hide then you've got nothing to fear. :cool:

anyone worried about personal details just buy a 20 quid old phone and use that with another account

anyone worried about personal details just buy a 20 quid old phone and use that with another account
I think the whole point is so they can find you if you may have been in contact with an infected person mate.. Using a burner phone would defeat the object somewhat. ;)

Back