I'm losing water - but I don't know where?

I dont think its the head gasket.

Is it losing all the water?

what temp is it running at?

I dont think its the head gasket.

Is it losing all the water?

what temp is it running at?

Losing most of the water mate, but there is always some left in the tank, but it's way below the minimum.

Temp gague is sitting just below half way, which is slightly higher than it was in the winter.

I only discovered it as I noticed the temp was a little higher than normal, so it prompted me to do my monthly 'service' (check oil, water and tyres, lol), other than a slightly raised temp gague there was no other symptoms.

1. if diesel head gaskets leak into combustion chamber the car will misfire . diesel and water dont work like petrol engines .. ie they dont steam just dont ignite
2. water can still pass the header tank .. the cap is set to a pressure rating

3. if not leaking and not misfiring change the thermostat first

4 cdti engine is a strong engine and head gaskets are far from common

5. make sure u dont fill the water to the top of the water tank .. its will stop expansion and blow water out

1. if diesel head gaskets leak into combustion chamber the car will misfire . diesel and water dont work like petrol engines .. ie they dont steam just dont ignite

Engine is running sweet mate. No misfires, shuddering, juddering, just nice.

3. if not leaking and not misfiring change the thermostat first

How would this stop me losing water? (sorry for being thick as fook, lol).

4 cdti engine is a strong engine and head gaskets are far from common

That's music to my ears mate. :)

5. make sure u dont fill the water to the top of the water tank .. its will stop expansion and blow water out

It's sitting at the Max marker mate.

If it was over filled, wouldn't it just blow the excess and settle at max anyway?

I'm off out now to drop the kid off........

I'll check the carpets etc for water.

After the 16mile trip I've now got half a tank of water.

Carpets are all dry.

No steam.

No bubbles in reservoir.

No puddles or drips beneath.

Where the fook is it going?

lol

is it over heating still

It never was overheating as such mate.

My temp gauge typically sits between the quarter and half markers.

Yesterday I happened to notice that that it was just slightly over the half way marker (unusual for my car) and that prompted me to check under the bonnet, it was then that I found my water tank (expansion tank - is that the correct name?) was almost dry, so I fill it and everytime I fill it, it loses almost all the water after I've driven it a few miles.

Last summer I lost a Petrol engine due to a leaky radiator, so I'm much more careful with this one. :)

have you checked the cap on the water header tank they are thermostatically controlled if they dont close off under pressure steam will escape through this cap and you will lose water without you knowing. Its worth a try m8

Check the level when cold there will be a mark for it on the bottle, its not meant to be filled to the top if it is it will escape through the cap, as its not overheating more than likely nothing up with it, just keep an eye on it.

have you checked the cap on the water header tank they are thermostatically controlled if they dont close off under pressure steam will escape through this cap and you will lose water without you knowing. Its worth a try m8

How do I check it mate?

All I know is it screws on nice and tight. :)

Check the level when cold there will be a mark for it on the bottle, its not meant to be filled to the top if it is it will escape through the cap, as its not overheating more than likely nothing up with it, just keep an eye on it.

I fill it to a line which says COLD / KALT, however the engine has been hot when I've done this, should I top it up only when the engine is cold?

fill it to the mark when cold, run it till fan kicks in if its not overheating get yourself a beer and forget about it...;)

How do I check it mate?

All I know is it screws on nice and tight. :)

it may seem tight but undo it when its cool or cold and then turn the cap over have a good look at it and make sure nothing is perished or broken. Just replace it if you have any doubts I myself would just replace it any way and see how you get on.Could be a cheap repair for you. look for the fill level on your water tank and keep to that mark. goodluck m8

Another posible cause could be the water pump.I would get someone to sit in the car and rev it up to about 2000 rpm for about 5 minutes while you check under the car to see if you can see any leaks.

They sometimes only leak at a higher rpm.Wherever the water is going it sounds like its only leaking when the engine is revving a bit
Also check the cap while its reving and hot to see if you can see any leaks or steam

fill it to the mark when cold, run it till fan kicks in if its not overheating get yourself a beer and forget about it...;)

lol, easier said than done mate!

You got any idea how paranoid I am?

I look into that expansion tank and I see a small puddle of water, that can't be right surely, under ANY circumstances?

Remember, I lost an engine due to heat this time last year.

I'm freaking out, lol

it may seem tight but undo it when its cool or cold and then turn the cap over have a good look at it and make sure nothing is perished or broken. Just replace it if you have any doubts I myself would just replace it any way and see how you get on.Could be a cheap repair for you. look for the fill level on your water tank and keep to that mark. goodluck m8

If water was escaping from the cap, wouldn't that make the cap wet/damp, or does it evapourate too fast due to the heat?

Last edited:
Another posible cause could be the water pump.I would get someone to sit in the car and rev it up to about 2000 rpm for about 5 minutes while you check under the car to see if you can see any leaks.

They sometimes only leak at a higher rpm.Wherever the water is going it sounds like its only leaking when the engine is revving a bit
Also check the cap while its reving and hot to see if you can see any leaks or steam

Charlie.

Is there anything you can't do!? :)

I was considering the high revs thing myself, higher pressure = water pushed out of any weak spots in the system.

Not too bad if it is the water pump, I was thinking about replacing the cambelt anyway.

I'm now worried that my temp gauge and/or sensor is fooked, and to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard my fan kick in. :err:

Charlie.

Is there anything you can't do!? :)

I was considering the high revs thing myself, higher pressure = water pushed out of any weak spots in the system.

Not too bad if it is the water pump, I was thinking about replacing the cambelt anyway.

I'm now worried that my temp gauge and/or sensor is fooked, and to be honest, I don't think I've ever heard my fan kick in. :err:

water pump isnt driven by the cambelt on the 17cdti m8 .. fanbelt driven

easy m8 .. saying that so r the cambelts lol ..

You fecking mechanic!

lol

I'll do the Rev test tomorrow and see if it is the water pump that's leaking, but I've got a hunch that the pump and seals are fine.

Back