Renault Megan’s engine failure warning light

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I have been working from home since lockdown and my car rarely leaves the drive these days other than short trips to golf club/driving range. Last Thursday I had to drive 180 miles and then returned a few days later. About 10 miles from home I got engine failure warning. I stopped the car and restarted it and the light remained on. I went out of the car and checked for any signs of leaking oil, the temperature gauge was normal. When I got back in car light was off again so I drove home carefully. Drive it yesterday for first time on a short trip and no light again. Done some research and suggestion it may be to do with DPF and I need to do a re gen. Can anyone confirm and, if so, what that means please? TIA

turner brown

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
what model megane . could be a ton of things that bring on the management light

nara

Who?
VIP Member
Reaction score
It could well be a DPF filter problem as this happens in underused diesels. To do a passive DPF regen you need to get out on a motorway and have a good blast up and down for an hour or so. To avoid breaking the speed limit I'd drop down a gear and try to keep the revs high for a while. I know that's heavy on fuel, but it will save you money in the long run.

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Thank you @nara. It’s weird, I was only 10 minutes from home after a near 3 hour drive on M4/5 albeit I wasn’t thrashing engine. I would need to be driving at high revs for a while then? Should just let the wife drive it, she always leaves it out of top gear 😂

Oggiman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
On that engine its recommended above 2k revs for minimum 20 mins to force a regeneration. So your Motorway drive should have surpassed that. Try adding dpf inhibitor to fuel tank. It worked for me. There's a thread on the forum about this.

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Cheers @Oggiman, I guess I will need to take it out for a blast every couple of weeks then, until out of lockdown.

miller1966

DW Member +
Reaction score
also if you filled up with diesel on the way back just check cap seal

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
I filled up about a month ago, still got about 200 miles in the tank.

Oggiman

Premium Member
Premium Member
Reaction score
Better get it checked rather than assume its the dpf though. A serious dpf or sensor fault would usually also put the engine into limp mode, I.e. you would see a big difference with reduced power engine performance

You got an OBD II reader you can plug into the engine management system?

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
No drop off in engine performance. I haven’t got an OBD II reader, are they expensive?

Trabbs

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Quick update. I took the car out and ran it in 4th gear for about 40 minutes at between 2,600 and 3,100 rpm. Oil temperature jumped from 1 bar to 4 bars after about 5 minutes, stayed there for about 10 minutes and then returned to 1 bar. Is that would happen during regen? Will get some fuel additive and make sure I go on a run every now and then if that is the case.

TEST