I'm losing water - but I don't know where?

phew... owt leaking water scares the bejesus out of me - i too always think head gasket!

weight off your mind - nice fix!

well done witchy bet you can now sleep at night again now its done.:Clap:

nice one witchy glad its sorted m8. I've a service here if you want to do it ;)

Well, I've jump the gun as usual.

It is not fixed, lol

Everything was great for a few hours, then I took it on the motorway and it drank all my water!

I removed the battery and bracket etc and had a good look at the pipes, I got Mrs Witchy to rev the engine for me while I lay on my back beneath the car. At around 3000 rpm I could feel a mist of very hot water on my face. I dug a little deeper and I finally found a leak - Woohoo!

There is a tiny hole in a rubber pipe that runs directly below the throttle plate housing thingy. So I reckon that'll be a nice easy fix.

Tomorrow I'll be going to a scrappies and getting a rplacement bit of hose.

Time to dig out my Haynes manual and check the correct proceedure for removing the throttle thingy. :)

The hole is in the far end of the highlighted hose.

Surprised Mrs Witchy did not slip the car into gear while you laid under it ! Must be love. :Clap:

witchy the fan belt looks worn in that pic....:proud:

**** sake witchy

I would have though a machanic of your stature would have noticed and fixed that by now :lol:

if the hole is near the end of the hose you might just be able to cut a bit off it and reuse it :)

ya see even eva has a good idea as the pipe may move weakest point is just after hose clip which can split,also note motor factors used to stock varies sizes and bores of hose and also pipe joiners from the makers GATES ,check if both ends are the same size or if unlucky a load of pipes connected:proud:

witchy the fan belt looks worn in that pic....:proud:

Not my engine mate, I found that on the Internet and added the red arrow, lol :)

How do you know it's worn anyway mate?

Looks nice and shiny. :)

if the hole is near the end of the hose you might just be able to cut a bit off it and reuse it :)

It's about an inch away from the the clip, there is no slack at all on the hose, so I'll need to replace it. :(

ya see even eva has a good idea as the pipe may move weakest point is just after hose clip which can split,also note motor factors used to stock varies sizes and bores of hose and also pipe joiners from the makers GATES ,check if both ends are the same size or if unlucky a load of pipes connected:proud:

I found ONE Astra Diesel CDTI today and I started rmoving the hose, everything was going great until I came to the last clip, it was in an awkward place but all it needed was a little mnore force and the clip would have released, I gave the hose a slight tug and low and behold the fucking thing SNAPPED off, it was rotted to fook. :( I almost shed a tear.

The original hose is molded to shape, would it be ok for me to replace it with some generic straight hose of the same diameter, or would it really need to be shaped like the original - to prevent the hose touching super hot surfaces and getting destroyed?

How annoying, it's only about 5 fooking inch long. I got no idea what the official part number would be. :(

Last edited:
As long as you bend it so it takes the same root and ensure its not touching the engine, exhust, intake ect ect it will be fine :)

All sorted now. :)

I split the throttle thingy in two and this allowed me direct access to the hose, a few minutes later I had the damaged hose in my hand and I chopped off the damaged section and found I had enough hose to make the connection afterall. :)

This will do until I mage to source the correct part from Vauxhall.

Watch it cheeky, what do you mean 'even Eva has a good idea'?

I'm full of good ideas! ;)

Glad to hear my girly idea worked witchy :)

The really good news is I only bust three knuckles. :)

I usually bust a knuckle simply topping up the washer fluid.

Back