i want a new toy but a few questions.

ive not ruled out dreambox yet, i might even stump up the cash and go for a hd receiver yet, im pondering at the min lol. digi's sat mate on ebay has them.

oh i know i keep adding stuff but any of these boxes allow me to use my sky fta card in them? i know if they do every 3/4 weeks id have to put it back in the original sky box to update from what ive read,

Last edited by a moderator:
A few of the sat community have had a few bad experiences with the dreambox community but i have have nothing but praise and therefore decided to stick with what I am familair with and like yourself I am only interested in spending the minimum required to get started and so far I think I will have to spend about £200. I am not too chuffed with having huge dish sticking at the side of my house so have opted for a patio stand. I too like the look of the HD boxes but that can always come later, at the moment all i am interested in is getting something on my screen with a satellite dish with the minimum of fuss and cash.

Tommohawk if you want to use a ftv card then you can rule out a technomate and go for a dreambox instead. You wont need to keep removing card if you use a dreambox, its only other equipment (dragon or diablo cams) that require this method of updating.
The dreambox is not as easy, menus arent friendly, they arent as stable, they require much more time, but yes they do provide more function and of course you will always get the support you need here :).
Regards.

been having a think and its expensive but im think im going down the hd technomate route, i wont need to use the $ky fta card really as i have a dreambox on cable so i,ll just switch between them,

i have a 42" hdtv and i want some hd content on it,i know theres prob not loads but anythings better than my current 0% lol.

just got to wipe the tears away at the cost of it..

i have one other question i have freeview on my tv but dont use it as i dont have an Ariel to receive the signal is there any way of using the dish to pick up the freeveiw built into my tv?

i suppose it doesnt matter too much as i'll still be using the cable dream box along with the sat.

been changing my mind as often as my socks recently lol.

ANYONE SEE ANY PROBS WITH THIS SET-UP, PRICE OK? CLICK ME-EGAY LINK

@ tommohawk

ive just looked at that listing, rung my m8 and hell do you exactly the same gear but for cheaper, with delivery tomorrow

his numbers 0800 043 6386

tell him i sent you ;)

was going to enquire at your pals place before i committed to buy.

i presume i,ll have no issues channel wise and patch wise with this receiver?

well ive gone and done it, its ordered and will be with me tomorrow, just over 400 notes delivered and thats with a bigger bracket so the dish sits proud of my house to avoid the soffits ect..

oh ive some explaining to do when she gets home lol, i did say 200 quid odd to her and thats just doubled because of hd, i must be mad.

time to start recouping some of the cost, ive a few mobiles to sell one being a n95 which still fetch 200 odd on egay so alls not too bad. infact if i sell my wii that i just dont use it,ll pay for itself between that and the n95.

play time lol, hope this pissing snow goes now.

@digi thanks mate and he didnt seem to know your on here lol although he did say your in there almost everyday.

for ease of use, they ARE the 1000 series models of technomate (same as the new 5000 models) VERY user friendly

the patches are released as often as the most commonly supported 1000 and new 5000 series, and channel and key listings are compatible between all 3 series of recievers. you wont even need a null modem lead or patch loader software as it can all be done via usb stick/card

yeah i was reading about that on a sat forum link i followed from here. im looking forward to playing with my new toy lol, expect noob questions pmsl.

NICE1 MATEY im gonna be a few weeks behind you i think.... was settled the 200 quid setup but now you got me hd'd lmao.....

just 1 question above you mentioned freeview quite a few times so how come you didnt go for a 6900? same setup but with built in freeview? comes in at jut under 4 ton delivered????

n1 m8

ahhhh just seen thats for 6900 but with 80cm dish....

ive freeveiw built into my tv and ive still got the cable dream and ive read lots of the channels that are on freeveiw can be picked up on sats anyway, thats why i went 6800, didnt end up getting it from that link i got it off digidudes mate, i got the whole lot for 403 and thats because i had to get different brackets to whats in the package, i got ones that sit further out from the wall to avoid ant issues i might have with it on my house. should be here tomorrow and its going up on saturday weather pending.

more hd on it than i first thought from reading around, not loads but enough to keep me going.

oooh lol i love this thread....

ok im very tempted but the 1 thing putting me off is that its 1080i and not 1080p

it just bothers me.....

have you any links to the hd or normal content you can expect to get m8? ad are the freebies or do u need subscriptons......

cheers pal

i want one of these simply to watch football on a saturday but people are charging a ton to come fit the dish and i cant do it cos i hate heights so looks like no TM for me but nice one though thommo looks nice that mate

bbc hd and quite a few others couple in english from what ive read but im sure the guys who have it setup will be better to tell you, ask me on sunday lol, think theres even premiere hd channel not sure whether thats sports or movies, i will find out though i suppose when i get it set up. thing is there will at some point be more hd, so having this means im set up.

i read on a forum that hd looks good from these boxes.

i like the fact i,ll be getting some hd content but the main reason was to get extra footy and if that premeire channel that is hd is for footy that bonus time, as said im not 100% sure myself till i get it hooked up and working so im prob not the best to be asking or replying at the min.

edit, some are free some are subs that can be free lol ;)

edit again lol: h**p://en.kingofsat.net/hdtv.php for a list of hd channels. (remove if not allowed but ive not directly linked to it).

it came today but im missing the motor :(

trying to get hold of him but its engaged.......

looks like it wont be going up tomorrow after all :(

update

got through and yes they left it out, so monday the motor will be with me, and then tuesday is install day, good lads at that place, sorted it with no hassle.

are you installing it yourself m8?

you could get the bracket up (making sure its straight) and the cable run ready for when it arrives :)

yeah im doing the lot so may well do that over the weekend, jesus that dish is big lol, the neighbours will think im working for nasa or something. looking at it its hard to believe these things take a battering from the wind. i also need to find some scaffold pole or something to attach the dish to.

update

ive plugged the box into my sky dish and im picking up some channels so i can play till i get it set up properly, bbc hd (preview) is one of the channels and it looks spot on, cant wait to get the whole thing set up though.

great nice 1 matey

im hooked now.

was gonna buy a ps3 but that was really only for the blueray... now ive decided im gonna get the 6900 i think ill get a lot more use and hd use from this lol.......

Last edited:
i want one of these simply to watch football on a saturday but people are charging a ton to come fit the dish and i cant do it cos i hate heights so looks like no TM for me but nice one though thommo looks nice that mate

You can keep it down to a couple of metres above ground level providing theres a clear line of view towards the satellites. Ladders aint that bad.

yeah im doing the lot so may well do that over the weekend, jesus that dish is big lol, the neighbours will think im working for nasa or something. looking at it its hard to believe these things take a battering from the wind. i also need to find some scaffold pole or something to attach the dish to.

update

ive plugged the box into my sky dish and im picking up some channels so i can play till i get it set up properly, bbc hd (preview) is one of the channels and it looks spot on, cant wait to get the whole thing set up though.

It looks nice m8, like digi said get the bracket up, it needs to be dead vertical so you can take your time over it...

Back