i want a new toy but a few questions.

For someone new getting into sat tv i'd also recommend the modern Technomates rather than dreambox. Simple, user friendly, and does everything you will need to start. Then in 6 months or whenever something changes you could always change to a dreambox or a Hi-Def receiver (thats fallen in price).
So even though all the dreambox users will scream 'dreambox is best' :) still go get a cheap technomate package lol.

Not sure what everyone means by dreambox user friendlyness ? I have always found it fairly easy to use. Tommohawk says he has a dream cable so he is no stranger to the networking side of things etc, I havn't got one but i assume you still need a network to update the image ftp etc. The dreambox images come with key update options and cams etc are all on tap just press a couple of buttons and bosh internet update ,they are user friendly stb's in my opinion.
I havnt got a technomate and they do look very good stb's for the money but i'm not sure what is to be gained in terms of user friendlyness.
However they are, as i have said exceptional value for money with regards to function etc
so they might well win hands down for that.

technomate and dreambox side of things, i have TM1000D+, 1500 and 5200+ and 9100 linux and dreambox i have 500 and 7020

when i first started out i had a TM5500, and went from there to a DM500, it was hell, so went back to technomate and had the 1000, and from there have 'evolved?' (lol) to what i have now

but the technomates are so easy to use, when i fit them for people whos first language isnt english, i change the menu language, show then once or twice and theyre away, for someones first reciever i really cant rate them high enough (and ive been through loads of makes and models)

but like you say, if you are confident with the dreambox structures, and networking and FTP then theres not really any reason why you couldnt start with a dreambox

just to clear up the 'cs'. You can join a 'cs' server with a technomate, but you cannot host a card, and to connect to a server you need to be connected to a PC via a null modem cable, and the PC running client software the whole time. But it can be done :)

Cheers m8 ,spose its easy to forget what i have learned with the dream over the years.lol
I do rememmber a few glitches in the early days and a few now if i'm honest ,although i enjoy sorting most of it out all the same. Do still think people get there knickers in a twist a bit, i have read some stuff and its proper frightening the way they make the dreams to be so complicated and there at worse just niggly but thats the fun of them. I started with the humax 5400z and that was a right slag when it wanted to be, so the dreambox didnt seem that bad.lol

the worst thing about the dreamboxes is all these eliteist assholes who when you ask for help, tell you to go and look, or give you info that they KNOW is wrong

i spent every night for over a week trying to get a pheonix reader to be recognised, EVERY config i was given that 'worked' had a purposly introduced error in it, whats the point in that?

ill happily share any of my knowledge with any member that asks for it on this forum, other forums can jump, as a lot of them also claim the work as their own

Know what you mean m8 i was purposly given wrong info once when i had a genuine problem with my hdd recording there is so much knowledge hogging with these things its untrue. Don't see the point of it, why the fook would you watch someone struggle if you can help ?? fookin crazy. The ironic thing is they are really not that bad to figure out just people have made it near imposible to get a plain english answer. The worst one you come up against is "read the help file" it says it all in there. DUR wouldnt have asked if i understood the fookin helpfile.lol.

well if i get stuck i'll be tapping you guys up for help then lol.......

Any help just ask cant be sure to know the answer but will help where i can. I recently got a dbox2 and would of been fooked if it wasnt for the help i recieved on dw.
Good luck with whatever you choose to do and happy new year m8

One the chaps mentioned that you could get quality satellite gear separately as opposed to buying in satellite kits as the quality of the dish may be poor. I agree with this logic especially satellite kits come with receivers, but I do not need a receiver.

When shopping for components, what makes a good dish, lnb and motor?

Any suggestions from ebay or online stores of good equipment you have experienced would be appreciated. Ideally, I want a Dish, dual LNB block and a motor, and fittings for less than £100.

Is this possible? I will use a DM600s so I don't need a receiver.

ive been following thiis with interest as im in exact same position as thomo.

i just got 1 qestion to ask before i commit to buy the recomended package on page 1.

for me its all about footy nowt else and at that man united. a rough guestimate to how often ill be able to pik up a man u game that aint on sky or setanta iss all i wanna know is it a few or ok or most of em.

thx guys sorry to barge on your post tomo;.

no probs, saves opening another thread, think i may go for the ebay package, looks ok to me and i dont think its a case of them offloading crap together with a receiver, seems to be a good retailer.

dreambox nothing comes close!

I have a dm7025 (top range dreambox) and two triple dragons- dragons are such a quality built box compared -they are more stable than the db -so much more easy to set up -and cheap as chips now -cs is spot on but no support for cccam as of yet but there are plenty other emus to play with now with chameleon you dont need cccam;

ive been following thiis with interest as im in exact same position as thomo.

i just got 1 qestion to ask before i commit to buy the recomended package on page 1.

for me its all about footy nowt else and at that man united. a rough guestimate to how often ill be able to pik up a man u game that aint on sky or setanta iss all i wanna know is it a few or ok or most of em.

thx guys sorry to barge on your post tomo;.

you'll get most of the manc games with the current open packages, but how long they remain nagra 2 is a guessing game. If nagra 3 gets hacked which will eventually be the case, then we back to square one and should get almost every game for the big 4.

My setups a bit more grufty as i put in a previous post, but i am sure for a first setup this should be ok motors fine etc. I stick with my point that i would change the mounting screws for something more heavy duty though, as i have seen those sort work loose after time, a few times now. But each to there own. Good price as well. It depends what you are after at the end of the day and you can throw as much money as you want at this sort of thing. I have two heavy duty brackets hammerited, steel pole and a similar motor mounted to a triax 88 with an invacom lnb held in place with anchor bolts but as i said mine is in a very windy location.

go for the 1st one m8, the 1st one has a newer model reciever, and you can add a multicrypt card slot to it for £30 if you need to in the future, they are both EXACTLY the same to use and to update with patches and keys, but the 1st one can also connect to a USB drive to record programmes onto

email (or ring) jp supplies, ive put their number on the everything except a reciever thread, and theyll give you a price with a bigger dish as well

i know they guy well, so tell him i told you to ring and hell sort it out, you could even be installing it in the morning as he's next door to a citylink depot so itll be on its way pretty quick as well ;)

go for the 1st one m8, the 1st one has a newer model reciever, and you can add a multicrypt card slot to it for £30 if you need to in the future, they are both EXACTLY the same to use and to update with patches and keys, but the 1st one can also connect to a USB drive to record programmes onto

email (or ring) jp supplies, ive put their number on the everything except a reciever thread, and theyll give you a price with a bigger dish as well

i know they guy well, so tell him i told you to ring and hell sort it out, you could even be installing it in the morning as he's next door to a citylink depot so itll be on its way pretty quick as well ;)

wheres the technomate 5400 ci+ come in the list of these receivers? is it better than the 5200? partly why i posted in the first place to find out which receiver and why?

i need to make my mind up as im buying/ordering a set up tomorrow with any luck.

Last edited by a moderator:
Like Tommohawk I have decided to investigate the satellite scene. I have ordered myself a motorised 1m satellite dish from wizards and was in two minds about ordering a satellite tuner card for £30 for my cable Dm600 and then thought I might as well get a Dm500 for £60 from China. I was a little surprised Tommohawk didn't stick with the dreambox as he already has a cable box and probably mastered the dreambox. I have decided to go with the patio stand to put my motorised dish onto and my main dilemma at the moment is where to get hold of a scaffolding pole to hook my dish onto but today I noticed a clothes line pole in Wilkinson so that may the best option. My main reason for getting into this area is that it is there and possibly a chance to see some of the latest films.

Back