HTPC cases

@karym6 - milotweenie's lol
@milotweenie - it's normal for an HTPC to have tv tuner(s) built in - this is not a requirement for a media player - this case doesnt have the capability of fitting tv tuner cards - I suppose for Freeview you could get away with external USB tuners - but for sat or cable? external tuners would be required which are expensive - considerably more expensive than just buying a reasonable case in the first place. granted not everyone requires a tuner or several in their setup - after all it is going to be connected to a TV? but in this case what they are building is not an HTPC - it's a media player

HTPC's are in most cases more expensive to build than a normal home PC (gaming systems excluded lol) - in order to handle HD properly they need a certain level of hardware, in order to simulataniously watch and record from several tuners they require a reasonable hardware spec, in order to cope with what is quite often rather ropey GUI's they need reserve oomph that shouldnt really be needed all things being equal (eg a 2gb ramdisk to help mediaportal give me smooth tv lol) - it's also - for most - a primary requirement that the damn thing should be as close to silent as possible - far quieter than most people woudl expect of a PC - this costs money - but the cheapest way of doing it is to make sure you have room to fit standard slow moving fans - this isnt possible in the hyper case - which is one reason I would rule it out

my HTPC is considerably more powerful than my main system - and baring monitors cost more.

to just play back films you need what? - a 500mhz P2 with a dvd player lol

Last edited:
Spot on wonko silence is golden, suprising how much you notice a fan that was supposedly quiet in a case when you are watching a movie or whatever from an HTPC. Slimline cases are not something to be looking at if you want to build a HTPC that is of any use. Depth is a pre requisit for the fitting of the best cards, along with cooling, for the job and future expansion.

I have the optical drive , tv card & sound card so far.

Waiting on the motherboard being in stock before I get this, which also means I cant get the ram and cpu yet.

Not decided on the case so far. All in all - havent really got off the fround yet :(

Back