How to do the splits.

Utopie

Inactive User
Reaction score
Started a new Saolin Qigong regeime this week and one of the moves involves doing the splits, which I so far can't do. I remember a few years a go I couldn't even touch my toes, which is regarded as a marker for a certain level of health.

So, I think doing the splits is going to be my new touching my toes, then who knows, maybe I'll move onto back flips!!!

If anyone else wants to join in, here are the steps I am going to work with; thought it might be a good mini project for anyone to do...

Splits - Learn How to Do Splits

Last edited:
Started a new Saolin Qigong regeime this week and one of the moves involves doing the splits, which I so far can't do. I remember a few years a go I couldn't even touch my toes, which is regarded as a marker for a certain level of health.

So, I think doing the splits is going to be my new touching my toes, then who knows, maybe I'll move onto back flips!!!

If anyone else wants to join in, here are the steps I am going to work with; thought it might be a good mini project for anyone to do...

Splits - Learn How to Do Splits

Great if you can achieve them. I've been working on my flexibility doing Pilate's, yoga and body balance, but I've not made big improvements. I think it's one of those things which you have to start young and have to continue into adulthood otherwise your joints become very tight and the task of achieving splits becomes very difficult. I would love to know more about achieving greater flexibility. As I'm a cross trainer I'm unable to put a lot time into stretching exercises thus making the task more difficult.

Great if you can achieve them. I've been working on my flexibility doing Pilate's, yoga and body balance, but I've not made big improvements. I think it's one of those things which you have to start young and have to continue into adulthood otherwise your joints become very tight and the task of achieving splits becomes very difficult. I would love to know more about achieving greater flexibility. As I'm a cross trainer I'm unable to put a lot time into stretching exercises thus making the task more difficult.

How long have you been working on flexability? I'd just stick at it mate and give it a chance. I know I have deffinetly improved flexability. Deffinetly agree that you might have a head start the younger you start doing it but it is still atainable... I'm not sure if doing the splits is a bridge too far, but I'm more inclined to think that it isn't -- we shall see I guess.

I know workouts are less enjoyable, more grueling and overall pysical welbeing is very noticably reduced when I neglect stretching and flexability. If I had to choose between strength training and flexability type training, then I know I'd opt for the later as I have walked around like a crumpled up Lilt can in the recycling bin a few times, and it isn't nice.

It's like I've heard said a couple of times. People think sports stars like premiership footy players are the pinical of fitness and health, but how can they be when they retire at around 35 years old with list of injuries and ailments? Then look at Ryan Giggs who shows no sign of slowing down -- he's been practicing yoga for the last 5 years or so. You can see his physic has changed over the last few years as well. He has never been stocky but you can see he more svelt than he used to be.

There's a book on Amazon called The Shaolin Workout you might want to check out. Also, there look for something called The Stretch Deck; this is just a deck of cards (50 I think) teaching various stretches for every part of the body, and there's a 'game' on the DS called Lets Yoga which is also very good, contains loads of posses and tips and you can pause and spin the 3d model around to see the pose from any angel, very detailed peice of software believe it or not.

I would say it took me about 6 months when I first noticed the benefits of flexability training, doing it more or less every day...

For me stretching is even more important than any other workouts and can be just as hard.

I have always been fairly flexible and most people are surprised just how flexible I am for my size, however I do think it is easier for slimmer people. Some yoga poses I do are really difficult with a big belly, but it also has it's advantages when it comes to stretching as you can push more weight into the stretch. I can easily bend and touch the floor, even put my hands flat on the floor and hold it.

I have always wanted to do the splits, but the closest I ever got was with my crotch about 10" - 12" from the floor (this was a straddle splits though). I find this more comfortable than the front splits for some reason.

I have in the loft a 'leg stretcher' designed to help you with stretching but to be honest it is a bit crude and painful to use after a while.

I also think a lot of it 'in the mind' and not all about the flexibility of your muscles and tendons. I think this is my problem, I probably would find I could do a front splits if I relaxed more and allowed myself to drop past that danger level in my sub conscious.

Good stretches though, I will try them out again for the newxt few months and see if I can improve some more.

For me stretching is even more important than any other workouts and can be just as hard.

I have always been fairly flexible and most people are surprised just how flexible I am for my size, however I do think it is easier for slimmer people. Some yoga poses I do are really difficult with a big belly, but it also has it's advantages when it comes to stretching as you can push more weight into the stretch. I can easily bend and touch the floor, even put my hands flat on the floor and hold it.

I have always wanted to do the splits, but the closest I ever got was with my crotch about 10" - 12" from the floor (this was a straddle splits though). I find this more comfortable than the front splits for some reason.

I have in the loft a 'leg stretcher' designed to help you with stretching but to be honest it is a bit crude and painful to use after a while.

I also think a lot of it 'in the mind' and not all about the flexibility of your muscles and tendons. I think this is my problem, I probably would find I could do a front splits if I relaxed more and allowed myself to drop past that danger level in my sub conscious.

Good stretches though, I will try them out again for the newxt few months and see if I can improve some more.
tie some string on ur nuts then pull up so they clear the ground
then u wont have to worry about squashing them when u drop
;) sorted

How long have you been working on flexability? I'd just stick at it mate and give it a chance. I know I have deffinetly improved flexability. Deffinetly agree that you might have a head start the younger you start doing it but it is still atainable... I'm not sure if doing the splits is a bridge too far, but I'm more inclined to think that it isn't -- we shall see I guess.

I know workouts are less enjoyable, more grueling and overall physical well being is very noticeably reduced when I neglect stretching and flexibility. If I had to choose between strength training and flexibility type training, then I know I'd opt for the later as I have walked around like a crumpled up Lilt can in the recycling bin a few times, and it isn't nice.

It's like I've heard said a couple of times. People think sports stars like premiership footy players are the pinnacle of fitness and health, but how can they be when they retire at around 35 years old with list of injuries and ailments? Then look at Ryan Giggs who shows no sign of slowing down -- he's been practicing yoga for the last 5 years or so. You can see his physic has changed over the last few years as well. He has never been stocky but you can see he more svelt than he used to be.

There's a book on Amazon called The Shaolin Workout you might want to check out. Also, there look for something called The Stretch Deck; this is just a deck of cards (50 I think) teaching various stretches for every part of the body, and there's a 'game' on the DS called Lets Yoga which is also very good, contains loads of posses and tips and you can pause and spin the 3d model around to see the pose from any angel, very detailed peice of software believe it or not.

I would say it took me about 6 months when I first noticed the benefits of flexability training, doing it more or less every day...

I used to do shotokan karate in the eighties and became reasonably flexible but never managed to get near to achieving splits. I virtually stopped exercising altogether in the nineties and most of the naughties and ballooned to 17 stones, developed diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea to name a few. I have been training now for about 3 years started off walking and lost 4 stones and have now been going the gym for just over 1 year. I currently weigh about 12.5 stones. I've been doing stretching to a degree for this period and have definitely noticed a difference in my flexibility, but not to the level when I was training in the eighties. The reason I mentioned age is because I'm 45 now and feel having neglected exercise for such a long period it may be very difficult to get more flexible. One thing is for certain though, I would not stop doing stretching exercises as I think they are as important as any other exercises if not more so.

I used to do shotokan karate in the eighties and became reasonably flexible but never managed to get near to achieving splits. I virtually stopped exercising altogether in the nineties and most of the naughties and ballooned to 17 stones, developed diabetes, high blood pressure and sleep apnea to name a few. I have been training now for about 3 years started off walking and lost 4 stones and have now been going the gym for just over 1 year. I currently weigh about 12.5 stones. I've been doing stretching to a degree for this period and have definitely noticed a difference in my flexibility, but not to the level when I was training in the eighties. The reason I mentioned age is because I'm 45 now and feel having neglected exercise for such a long period it may be very difficult to get more flexible. One thing is for certain though, I would not stop doing stretching exercises as I think they are as important as any other exercises if not more so.

Well, if you are looking for a more effective technique, you could take a look at Hot Yoga (you might be familiar with it if you have ever watched Saxondale!) It's, well, Yoga, only done in a room with all the radiators on wacked up to full. The heat help your muscles and joints stretch the extra bit. Or maybe just find a good ordinary yoga class so that you can discuss your goals with an expert.

Well, if you are looking for a more effective technique, you could take a look at Hot Yoga (you might be familiar with it if you have ever watched Saxondale!) It's, well, Yoga, only done in a room with all the radiators on wacked up to full. The heat help your muscles and joints stretch the extra bit. Or maybe just find a good ordinary yoga class so that you can discuss your goals with an expert.

Now that sounds good. I've been looking for yoga classes in my area since the person doing them in gym left. I've found one at last and am going to attend a session and see what it's like, it's hatha yoga. I do however like the idea of hot yoga and believe in having a warm environment when doing stretching exercises. I've not come across any classes in my area, but I'll keep looking.

I train in jujitsu and grappling and I found that dynamic stretching is the best way to increase flexibility. Repetitions of simple stretching. Look it up in your tube.

If you have access to usenet then look for "systema strength and flexibility". Its a dynamic stretching and resistive exercise strength and conditioning program design for martial arts that focuses on core strength and flexibility. Primarily designed for grappling but very good overall workout. If you are having a problem getting hold of it then drop me an PM.

For the splits, I've been just spending 10 minutes a day stretching and it has worked really well. Just spend 10-15 minutes after you training sessions stretching out and you'll notice how flexible you get after a few weeks!

Back