Home Audio Visual Distribution, Automation n Control

Hejira

Inactive User
Reaction score
I've no doubt most if not all households will have tried a universal remote in an attempt to trim down the amount of remotes, or split there sat feed to get a signal in another room. I see many threads trying to turn a sat box into a media player or a nas drive into a webserver.

Getting the maximum out your Home AV setup is a fine art and getting easy control over everything is a black art.

The Best example of this in everyday use is a Sly Box, The Sly Remotes ability to control your TV and it's use of the 2nd RF OUT to not only send a signal to a further location but also carry 9v to enable IR control aswell.

I use this simple method with a twist, I feed an RF signal from a DVR(That has a Dreambox Connected Via Scart) into the RF IN of The Sly Box, the 2nd RF OUT into an RF Distro then off to a further 2 locations. So all 3 locations can view Sly Box or DreamBox and I can control both boxes from all locations, The Sly via IR Magic Eye n Dream Wireless via my netbook!

I'm always looking at how I can get maximum functionality and integrate into the whole home all the Technology I own and would welcome a discusion on the subject if anyones interested!

My Ultimate setup would have a single interface on my Netbook that controlled everything! Which I Know I can achieve But I keep putting off because of the time I need to dedicate to it!

I'm interested in what gizmos n methods you might have used in an effort to integrate maximise. extend, automate the use n control of your home entertainment and or what you feel you would like to have or really like to be able to do.

Cheers

I have a Philips Pronto remote (That is needing updated) used to control all my AV stuff. It can also control the old fashioned X10 stuff.

I have a Philips Pronto remote (That is needing updated) used to control all my AV stuff. It can also control the old fashioned X10 stuff.

I like the Prontos, what model? What needs updating? They were prob the first remote that entertained macros to run a set of IR commands in order. The top end models are quite expensive but well worth considering as a Universal remote.

I used a program called TV Remote Controller on my iPaq that used Pronto CCF's which worked very well.

X10 stuff was great for power automation lamps etc, but quite a niche technology, I never really went down that route.

Its the TS-2000, I have upgrades some my AV equipment but never updated the remote. It still has my Tivo on it......

Thanks Hegira, I know of that site and that has been my main repository for atleast 10 years now... I have realised how long I have had it!!!

Thought that would prob be the case m8, Hope Links might be useful for others looking @ Universal Remotes!

Show's how good a product the pronto was if still going after 10 Years!

Harmony One in the living room
Harmony 895 in Munkey's hideout
Tablet PC with Main Lobby for the HT

I'm going to dump the Harmony remotes at some stage, they're excellent devices when they work but they usually fail after a year or two. Fortunately Logitech are a great company and after some whining on the phone they send replacement parts if you need them out of warranty. The 895's battery is notoriously rubbish and has been replaced a few times.

If I end a bottomless pit of money I'd probably go with a Crestron setup professionally installed and actually enjoy viewing content rather than spending most of my time trying to get it to work.

Hejira, what's your opinion on the Crestron setups, are they the best as they are idiot proof? Have you used mainlobby and if you have how do you compare the two?

I'm really interested in going all out and buying a few more licences for main lobby and going for pda/tabletpc in each room. I've got a few diagrams of what I'm trying to do which I'll post soon.

I'm going to dump the Harmony remotes at some stage, they're excellent devices when they work but they usually fail after a year or two. Fortunately Logitech are a great company and after some whining on the phone they send replacement parts if you need them out of warranty. The 895's battery is notoriously rubbish and has been replaced a few times.

The Harmony Remotes are much nicer looking than most and again I would consider these in an AV Setup, but like the Pronto's for RF n Wifi models prices start jumping, making you think well what extra is this remote gonna do other than turn the telly over! LOL

The Tablet PC is where it's @ IMHO, or More to the point TCP/IP Control. In Todays home a Wifi Network is pretty standard and It just makes sense to control via TCp/IP, I have been playing with this for years! The advantage of TCP/IP is you can have 2 Way wireless communication and when it comes to good automation n control that's what your chasing! More n More AV equipment is being fitted with an ethernet port, Shite I've seen a fridge with one! So whats really needed is a good control engine n GUI and your away. Easier said than done! NetRemote n Girder came the closest for me as a total PC DIY solution.

2 Good examples of TCP/IP Control are the Dreambox n the old XBox with XBMC, The Dreambox has a great Web Interface that you can do almost everything to control it and see so much more realtime info, XBMC again has a Web Interface controling Music n Movie Playback with updating info.

So I here most of you say "What about IR, that's what all my Kit has!"

Well this is where it's starts getting messy, but Is more than possible with a couple of gizmo's to get DIY IR Control over TCP/IP!

If I end a bottomless pit of money I'd probably go with a Crestron setup professionally installed and actually enjoy viewing content rather than spending most of my time trying to get it to work.

I dunno you don't strike me as being able to leave well alone! LOL

Hejira, what's your opinion on the Crestron setups, are they the best as they are idiot proof? Have you used mainlobby and if you have how do you compare the two?

Crestron are @ the TopEnd of the AV Control Market and IMHO make the best AV Control Processors, That being a Gizmo that typically combines any number of IR ports, Serial Ports, I/O Ports, Relay Ports into one box that controls control of all your equipment from one interface. The problem is it's a blank canvas, you HAVE to program every element of control to your given equipment. The Advantage is it's a blank canvas, you CAN program every element of control to your given equipment Including Updates n Changes.

So Only Idiot proof if the programmer makes it Idiot proof!

For a Higher End AV Setup I'd go for a Crestron Control Processor but AMX would also have to be looked @. It is your UI (Touch Panels, remotes etc) that interface with the control processor that are important) With the Crestron Processor I can create whats called an Xpanel that runs on a windows PC, so my Netbook become my remote!

I'm really interested in going all out and buying a few more licences for main lobby and going for pda/tabletpc in each room. I've got a few diagrams of what I'm trying to do which I'll post soon.

I've not had a look @ Main Lobby Properly but I'd be surprised if it came remotely close to what you can achieve with a Crestron Control Processor and System Builder, but I'm very Interested in having a look. Great to see what your up to, I'd be only to willing to give my tupance worth.

This is pretty close to what I'm trying to achieve

img003a.jpg

img004a.jpg

I'm trying to share as many source devices as possible. The aim is to have the loft area as the hub of all activity housing the

Loft
sly hd box
ntl box
htpc
freesat box
BR player
x360
Lexicon processor
A few power amps
Lumagen HDQ

HT
PJ
Cineslide
Motorised 2 way masking

Lounge
Amp
CD source

Kitchen
Tablet PC to control the zone

CCTV
Probably an Avermedia device

Alarm
Undecided and I doubt I'll integrate this into the system unless it is cost effective.

I like your suggestion of running the automation process off a network as I'm tired of spending endless hours getting serial ports to work.

I'll need 4 remotes or could get away with using three if I go with a touch screen device in the kitchen. I did some reading up on the Pronto and it sounds like a great device, the guys at Mainlobby have it working with the Pronto but I can't afford to spend 2k on just remote controls.:Yikes:

Time for some more reading, my aim is to complete the project with a measly budget of £500.

Sweeeeeeet :)

That'll take some digesting! LOL

I luv the Lexicon! Do you control this fully via RS232? Would you like to see the standard Crestron Interface? Im sure there's an example module for it!

Oh no I don't have a windows machine at hand, it will have to wait until tomorrow morning. :CRYBABY:

$62 for a 4x2 matrix, just in late 2008 I recall them costing 5 times if not 10 times that price. I never could afford the matrix gear so did not research it much, this may have changed things.

That little IR device is amazing, it comes with it's own software API's.

I think it's time for a cuppa and some head scratching.

$62 for a 4x2 matrix, just in late 2008 I recall them costing 5 times if not 10 times that price. I never could afford the matrix gear so did not research it much, this may have changed things.

That little IR device is amazing, it comes with it's own software API's.

I think it's time for a cuppa and some head scratching.

The Matrix I came across by chance in a thread @ remotecentral, For the money given RS232 control that's a bargain!

The IRTrans I have seen grow over the years from just a RS232 interface they were always good but now with IP and addressable the possibilties are endless, just the price a bit high for a small install to extend IR Control.

This is a lower cost option, but not as much function:
MythTV LIRC RS232 IR Blasters

I did build my own circuit @ one point when looking @ mythTV, examples are available on the net:
LIRC - Serial Port Transmitters
LIRC - Serial Port Receivers

EventGhost is worth a look for Windows automation of IR n RS232, plus much more!
EventGhost

The Trick is integrating the gizmos n control into your setup, Many cups of Tea and lots of head scratching that's the nature of the beast! LOL

This is a Crestron Xpanel it simulates a Touch Panel Interface for the MC12

UnRar n Run exe in folder.

I gotta admit I couldn't help but smile when I opened that attachment. Good old Crestron, they just loving making things as simple as possible whilst giving you all of the functionality of using the original remote. That interface is as idiot proof and family friendly as you could possibly get.

I feel as if I'm starting all over again..

The most worrying aspect of going down the RS232 route is that I'll require help when adding components, this is offset by the fact that I only really upgrade once every ten years so once everything is working I can just enjoy and not worry about having to mess around with the system.

I think the best thing to do in my situation is to hit ebay and search for some decent second hand Crestron and AMX gear. I think they're easily my first choice. Can you recommend me anything to look out for, items say a few years old that would work in my setup? I saw some nice AMX touch panels for bathrooms and kitchens sell for £100 and they looked stunning, much nicer than a tablet in the wall.

If the high end gear from yesteryear is out of my budget then it will be back to touchscreen PC's and AV automation over a network.

I gotta admit I couldn't help but smile when I opened that attachment. Good old Crestron, they just loving making things as simple as possible whilst giving you all of the functionality of using the original remote. That interface is as idiot proof and family friendly as you could possibly get.

It's the module that get's compiled into the control processor which comes with that GUI that's the key as it obviously holds all the control codes, So I would generally identify required codes and create a new header page, for instance, how I want it to look with a minimal set of controls.

My Experiences With the software from Crestron has generally been very good espesially if modules are available, The basic function can be achieved without to much fuss, but with some imagination and time you can create a master piece. (Not that I feel I have ever managed that!) LOL

I feel as if I'm starting all over again..

I feel like that everytime I take on a new project, technology just moves so quick today.

The most worrying aspect of going down the RS232 route is that I'll require help when adding components, this is offset by the fact that I only really upgrade once every ten years so once everything is working I can just enjoy and not worry about having to mess around with the system.

RS232 control Is a big step up from IR, You get 2 way control which can improve the look of your GUI as you can check the state of equipment and display the info on the GUI. Help is always available :)

Choose a New bit of kit that has IP Control, That's the future as I see it.

I think the best thing to do in my situation is to hit ebay and search for some decent second hand Crestron and AMX gear. I think they're easily my first choice. Can you recommend me anything to look out for, items say a few years old that would work in my setup? I saw some nice AMX touch panels for bathrooms and kitchens sell for £100 and they looked stunning, much nicer than a tablet in the wall.

Both AMX and Crestron Work in the Same way You require a Matched Control Processor n Touch Panel, This means they have to be looked @ as a pair. Pain as IMHO Crestron Best Processor, But AMX Best Touchpanel! LOL 8X is Stunnin, but so's the Price.

If the high end gear from yesteryear is out of my budget then it will be back to touchscreen PC's and AV automation over a network.

If you are willing n able to get involved in the programming n design side of things for your system which I get the impression you are, I don't see why you couldn't make a crestron or AMX system happen!

OK see I think it's possible to come to a comprimise and is something I'm looking at doing for myself, with a view to upgrade in sections as n when using my favoured Crestron Control Processor at the centre of the setup.

As you've seen you can create an Interface that runs on windows including pda'a, that's not just a pretty demo it can be used to control said bit of kit. You could control your whole home from Work! I have remotely controlled disagnosed systems and uploaded new programs over the net! You are looking @ Crestron Processors with e-Control, mc2e, cp2e, AV2(check for e-Control as its an addon module), Pro2 (AV2+ Front Display e-Control included). These differ in the amount of IR Serial I/O ports etc. But this box of trickes will send control signals to almost anything, Lights, IP Cameras, Screens, Drapes as well as all AV equipment!

You need to document how each piece of kit is controlable to work out how your gonna get control from a single box and therefore what box you really need. The AV2 n Pro2 are great as you can add ports via a plugin card, but this is reflected in the price. mc2e,cp2e can act as slaves so you could have both or 2 the same connected.

You can add a Crestron Touch Panel @ anytime but you should be able to control everything you have with the existing remotes n tablet that you have with a few added gizmo's!

You will need to Create, Compile n upload your Program for the processor, then create your user interface to run in minimal windows XP Setup or PDA.

I'll have a closer look to see if this achieveable with AMX, but i don't think it is.

That's what your letting yourself in for, but I'm more than willing to help if I can.

Last edited:
jeezaz christ Im going back on the drink Im scared to look at this stuff I might get ideas about upgrading my scart leads

Back