help wired networking

White Van Man

Inactive User
Reaction score
bought a pci networking (REALTTEK 10/100M) so i could communicate with laptop and ps2.Xp installed driver for it windows can see it says operating ok
the light on back of card is off and when i try to do a ping test 192.168.1.111 i get host unreachable and when i go in ipconfig in dos says media disconnected.How can i get this to work?anybody got any ideas?

not sure i am told it should be a crossover cable i got this cable with my ps2 network adaptor on the cable it says cat.5e patch cable utp when i look at both ends of the cable the wires are identical in colour and order

The transmit and receive wires should be crossed...if it's a crossover cable...two wires should be swapped at one end!

cheers for that m8 i will have to go and get one tomoz now.even if i have not got the correct cable should my computer be able to communicate with net work card?is their a way to test it without being connected to other sources?
i am asking these questions because on my laptop has a builtin one yet this seems to be on and connected even thou data is not being sent to anything yet the one i'm having trouble with has no connection

do you know which is transmite and receive,are they the two outer (furthest left and furthest right)wires just change at one end of plug

Sorry but I'm not getting your problem...

Do you have a wireless card on the laptop or has it got built-in WiFi?

Do you have a wireless router or does your motherboard on the PC have WiFi built in.

Do you have a PC connected to the internet and you want to use the laptop to surf the web aswell?

Sorry if I'm thick!

no i dont have anything wireless on laptop or other computer i am on stand alone broadband witch is connected to my usb port on laptop.i would like to conect this laptop(my laptop has built in ethernet port) to my other computer through a network card(realtex pci) for transfering files to and throu(this computer will not be surfing the net)also i want my laptop to connect to ps2(crossover cable needed which i going to make thanks to for link) i know i will have problems with other computer but i will make up crossover cable first then get back to you.
Thanks for the quick reply lads

maddie said:
do you know which is transmite and receive,are they the two outer (furthest left and furthest right)wires just change at one end of plug
In a crossover cable pin 1 becomes pin 3 at the other end and pin 2 becomes pin 6. The rest remain the same

Thanks every body i have made my crossover network now and seems to be working both computer seem to be connected.I have set another post now on how to see other computes files ie:harddrive desktop.
Thanks again

Hello

First of all the easiest thing to do would be to buy a wired router as you can buy a decent DLINK or NETGEAR one for as little as 15 pounds.

Cheers

Back