Broadband Speed Tests

agree VM best for broadband, on average I have a issue once a year.

Not cheap but for quality server VM is the best

ohh the SH they provide is shite, I just put it in modem only mode and stick a decent router (Tenda AC15 for me)

Phew, I am moving to virgin next week, they have just pulled the fibre to my house after pulling the cables in a few months ago. They used the existing open reach routes, so no holes being dug up. The box on the wall is frigging massive though.
I’ve gone with the 516 service.

Phew, I am moving to virgin next week, they have just pulled the fibre to my house after pulling the cables in a few months ago. They used the existing open reach routes, so no holes being dug up. The box on the wall is frigging massive though.
I’ve gone with the 516 service.

do they run a fibre from cabinet to your house

I am on M350, if I upgrade to the M500 that means new cable is run as they wont be using the old copper cable

Finally fixed by Openreach. They had to replace the modem on my wall as it was faulty, now got way better speeds (via wifi) than previously had:

1600464216594.png

I am on M350, if I upgrade to the M500 that means new cable is run as they wont be using the old copper cable
No new cable.....and same router, just a phone call to them.

I didn’t think virgin used the old copper cables.
I thought it was fibre cable throughout.

I didn’t think virgin used the old copper cables.
I thought it was fibre cable throughout.

I am sure they do or the old coax cable,. I have been with VM since 1998 and the cable they installed them is the same today

No new cable.....and same router, just a phone call to them.

same old shit hub they use, they will push down a new config file for 500, I am happy with 350 at moment as I can get 500 in my area but cant justify the extra costs

it’s a fibre to the house, then it looks like it’s coax internally.
This image is not mine, but very similar the module may be a different version, Go live date is Thursday.

Attachments

• C0693BBC-0A9F-415C-8D5A-F9F2F6ED3DF6.jpeg
    C0693BBC-0A9F-415C-8D5A-F9F2F6ED3DF6.jpeg
    220.6 KB · Views: 30
The old fibre to cab networks are the same and still operating. The fiber to the house areas are areas that have had the network installed recently (past few years).
I don’t know if they will be swapping the copper networks over. It would cost a bomb so they would probably avoid it.

same old shit hub they use, they will push down a new config file for 500, I am happy with 350 at moment as I can get 500 in my area but cant justify the extra costs
The old fibre to cab networks are the same and still operating. The fiber to the house areas are areas that have had the network installed recently (past few years).
I don’t know if they will be swapping the copper networks over. It would cost a bomb so they would probably avoid it.

I only use the hub in modem and as I also have phone I knocked off the Talk Evenings as we all use mobiles so it worked out an extra £3.50.

I've had the same cable from house to cabinet since Diamond Cable days when it all started :(

In my area it is all new cabling straight to the house. I have only had one outage in the last year. The speed is consistent and the WiFi is not to bad in the house but the signal in the garden is not great.

I could probably see the headend from the roof but we don't get offered anything faster then the 350 package!

Virgin Media trials 2.2Gbps broadband speed
Virgin Media has demonstrated broadband speeds of 2.2 Gbps in what the cable provider is describing as a “real-world trial”.
The DOCSIS 3.1 trial to homes in Thatcham, Berkshire was run at speeds 34 times faster than those normally experience by UK households.

Virgin, which faces competition from new entrants such as CityFibre, has already rolled-out its Gig1 broadband speeds (1,140Mbps) to seven areas across the UK.

5G just around the corner, will kick home BB into touch ;)

Apparently lol

Back