Broadband Speed Tests

Redgun71

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Like a lot of people I have got various devices at home - (laptops, phones, tablets) and some are faster than others when downloading pages on the internet by fractions of a seconds, sometimes by a couple of seconds. This has always perplexed me, as of yesterday my VM broadband was "fixed", I had signal problems which was due to an old connection (attenuator) on the cables, so I opened both my laptops today to do a broadband speed test at the same time.

Wireless
Results for my 6 year old HP Pavillion laptop i5 8GB ram 802.11 b/g/n Results 3 year old Apple MacBook Air i5 8GB ram 802.11 ac
Ping 9ms Download 56.57Mbps Upload 10.05Mbps Ping 13ms Download 75.88Mbps Upload 3.43Mbps

Wired (30 seconds later after the Wireless test)
Ping 9ms Download 78.74Mbps Upload 10.17Mbps N/A no RJ45 port

I expected the Apple laptop to be a little faster as it is more modern and has the latest version of wireless standards, but can't see why the Apple upload speed was less than the HP. Also when wired, the HP laptop matched/bettered the wireless Apple laptop speeds.
I know you need to do more speed tests to get a better average results, but surely every speed test my Apple should be better or match the HP laptop download and upload speeds?

dar1437

Worldz Biggest Oddball
VIP Member
Reaction score
I think the network adapter has a lot to do with it.

I remember testing an Android MX2/ M8? And i was getting twice the speed with it's wireless, than the LAN port.

avid

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Also what other processes are running in the background as this may affect each device.

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
on VM but got a Tenda AC 15 as router running Tomato firmware

Using a i5 Laptop

Wired

Wireless

Redgun71

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Also what other processes are running in the background as this may affect each device.
Just the minimum, st
I think the network adapter has a lot to do with it.

I remember testing an Android MX2/ M8? And i was getting twice the speed with it's wireless, than the LAN port.
The network adapter on my HP laptop is Realtek PCIe FE Family Controller and the Wireless adapter is Realtek RTL8188EE 802.11 bng.

Redgun71

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Nothing was running in the network processes background apart Chrome to run the speed test.

Redgun71

DW Member ++
Reaction score
Wired - I pay for 100Mbps and have read that small print about their advertised speed (which is based on wired), and take the time of day into consideration.
1594918176050.png

darren221980

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
This is mine via wireless at moment:

1594925473112.png

I usually get closer to 30Mbps download and 10Mbps upload. I can only dream of some of the speeds you guys are getting at the moment.

I'm on Vodafone Superfast 1 package as they claim my line can't support the next package up. But on a plus note, Openreach installed the fibre throughout my street 3 weeks ago for FTTP and upon asking them when they expect it to go live they gave an estimate of August. So fingers crossed faster speeds available here too, which would be handy with working from home (which i'm expecting work to say i can continue doing longterm if wanted).

jfish

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
using different speed test sites I get different results

test done with a 20 sec gap between the 2 tests using same laptop
nperf

'

speedtest.net

TEST