Help me decide which one of these Linux satellite boxes for a 1st time user.

h4x0rm1k3

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi all, I've got a Skybox F5 at the moment and am looking to upgrade to a linux box because 1 they're better and 2 if Sly eventually go offline then I want to have some other use for the box rather than just having FTA channels (I can get those with my Sly HD box!) Anyway, I only have approx £100 to spend and have been searching all weekend as I will be buying the box on Tuesday when I get paid and the 3 boxes that i've settled on are as follows - (1) Amiko alien SHD8900, (2) Cloud Ibox (3) Golden media spark reloaded.
I'm leaning more towards either number 1 or 2 although from what i've read number 3 is basically a clone of number 1 but a bit cheaper! I also read that the Spark boxes were to be kind of avoided as they were still in their infancy but from what i've seen that might not be the case now as there seems to be quite a lot of support is this correct? I'm also not too sure about the golden media ones as i've not found many images for them but from my understanding they should run the same if not similar to the alien box.
As for the Cloud ibox i've read that they do get quite hot and I would really want to avoid this but I don't know if the box that's available to me would be an upgraded one with better cooling or not so maybe someone who has brought one recently could let me know? Finally, just so everyone knows the price's that I can get them for the alien and ibox are about the same price, around £99 in the UK and the Golden media one is £10 less at £90.
So, advice, comments and such, i'm all ears and am willing to take on board any advice that is given although my price range cannot change (unless it's less!) unfortunately so that has to be my only must!

Many thanks to all who comment.

EDIT :- There may be an addition to this list if I can get it for around the same price and that would be the Golden media Triplex receiver but i'm not 100% sure yet, it depends on whether I can find the extra £10 difference so please take this into consideration for any comments. I take it as long as they are good receivers with good support I would be better off finding the extra £10 to get one of these?

Last edited:
Hi all, I've got a Skybox F5 at the moment and am looking to upgrade to a linux box because 1 they're better and 2 if Sly eventually go offline then I want to have some other use for the box rather than just having FTA channels (I can get those with my Sly HD box!) Anyway, I only have approx £100 to spend and have been searching all weekend as I will be buying the box on Tuesday when I get paid and the 3 boxes that i've settled on are as follows - (1) Amiko alien SHD8900, (2) Cloud Ibox (3) Golden media spark reloaded.
I'm leaning more towards either number 1 or 2 although from what i've read number 3 is basically a clone of number 1 but a bit cheaper! I also read that the Spark boxes were to be kind of avoided as they were still in their infancy but from what i've seen that might not be the case now as there seems to be quite a lot of support is this correct? I'm also not too sure about the golden media ones as i've not found many images for them but from my understanding they should run the same if not similar to the alien box.
As for the Cloud ibox i've read that they do get quite hot and I would really want to avoid this but I don't know if the box that's available to me would be an upgraded one with better cooling or not so maybe someone who has brought one recently could let me know? Finally, just so everyone knows the price's that I can get them for the alien and ibox are about the same price, around £99 in the UK and the Golden media one is £10 less at £90.
So, advice, comments and such, i'm all ears and am willing to take on board any advice that is given although my price range cannot change (unless it's less!) unfortunately so that has to be my only must!

Many thanks to all who comment.

EDIT :- There may be an addition to this list if I can get it for around the same price and that would be the Golden media Triplex receiver but i'm not 100% sure yet, it depends on whether I can find the extra £10 difference so please take this into consideration for any comments. I take it as long as they are good receivers with good support I would be better off finding the extra £10 to get one of these?

Also take into consideration the Optibox M7, couple of quid more but a great box, also a clone DM800 is around 130 quid, biggest support out there.

vu+solo clone can be got for about £70.. the V,3.2 running blackhole are great for the price but also the dm800hdse is a cracking box with multiple images/plugins available,regards mdt

vu+solo clone can be got for about £70.. the V,3.2 running blackhole are great for the price but also the dm800hdse is a cracking box with multiple images/plugins available,regards mdt

Could you pm me from where?

I went with an amiko alien 8900 in the end, for £62 + £10 p&p can't go wrong I think really! I only brought that as it was an auction and managed to get it that cheap plus it'll allow me to dip my toes into linux boxes to help me decide if I want to eventually upgrade again in the future if and when I get bored of the alien although if it performs as well as it's supposed to then I doubt that will happen! So, anyone got any pointers on which is the most stable image available? I was looking at the AR-p image as it has rtl8187l support and I have the alfa version with that chipset but i've noticed it hasn't been updated in a while and doesn't have the HD fix so if there's any other images out there with that included then I would be interested to hear about it. Although, as it's my 1st linux box i'm sure i'll be trying out all the images available for it to see which one suits me better overall, the main things i'm interested in is XBMC addons and TSmedia and then i'll go from there and see what else is available for these boxes! Thanks again for all your recommendations, it's much appreciated.

Back