Having a nightmare installing a motorised dish HELP!

dj1981ni

Inactive User
Reaction score
Had the day off, weather was decent so was a perfect opportunity to install a dish I have intended to get up for a while. 80cm Dish on a TM 2600 motor powered by my Openbox V5S

I have installed a couple of motorised set ups before so not a total newbie but have been at this all day and am getting no where fast. Got all straight and mounted up, I think the neighbours house blocks 1w but had a go and no couldn't find 1 w, so I drive the motor to 28e in usals, waffed the dish around using a cheap meter couldn't find anything, got the Mrs to watch the signal on the TV and no couldn't find anything either, sweet FA I was getting, this went on for a few hours I may add. Tried 19e same nothing.

Came in to the house and had a play around, nudging the dish east and west on Diseqc 1.2 and I found a few satellites, everything from 28e to 5e but USUALS was getting nothing so something is not lined up right but it must be tracking the belt to a certain extent. Then the receiver started playing up, its started freezing, I turned the box off, it came on "Moving Dish" then the box freezes, unable to do anything only pull the plug and so the cycle continues. I removed the LNB input and low and behold no more freezing but obviously no signal either. Reflashed firmware same problem so I am thinking this is something to do with the motor.

So I've given up for today and am after some help.

Had the day off, weather was decent so was a perfect opportunity to install a dish I have intended to get up for a while. 80cm Dish on a TM 2600 motor powered by my Openbox V5S

I have installed a couple of motorised set ups before so not a total newbie but have been at this all day and am getting no where fast. Got all straight and mounted up, I think the neighbours house blocks 1w but had a go and no couldn't find 1 w, so I drive the motor to 28e in usals, waffed the dish around using a cheap meter couldn't find anything, got the Mrs to watch the signal on the TV and no couldn't find anything either, sweet FA I was getting, this went on for a few hours I may add. Tried 19e same nothing.

Came in to the house and had a play around, nudging the dish east and west on Diseqc 1.2 and I found a few satellites, everything from 28e to 5e but USUALS was getting nothing so something is not lined up right but it must be tracking the belt to a certain extent. Then the receiver started playing up, its started freezing, I turned the box off, it came on "Moving Dish" then the box freezes, unable to do anything only pull the plug and so the cycle continues. I removed the LNB input and low and behold no more freezing but obviously no signal either. Reflashed firmware same problem so I am thinking this is something to do with the motor.

So I've given up for today and am after some help.

What LNB are you using? Some draw a fair current which, when combined with the draw of the motor might be overdoing it a bit for your receiver. It too might not be blameless. If the power supply is a little tired then the extra loading might be just enough to upset it.

It's not an easy job without a proper meter, but with a bucket-load of patience you should get there- you seem to have the basics... Good luck!

So re did my Fplugs, no difference, new lnb on, no difference, I used a little connector to join the LNB wires thus avoiding the motor, just to test if it was the motor and same problem.

The receiver is fine if I turn it on with the LNB wire out, I can go through the menus fine etc, If I reset the receiver and connect the LNB wire again no problem, I can scan, go through menus etc but once I exit to TV, 5 seconds or so and all locks up, only option is to pull the wire.

It has to be the receiver at fault as have tried everything else.

EDIT** The LNB's are an Inverto 0.2 and also tried a Technomate 0.2

So re did my Fplugs, no difference, new lnb on, no difference, I used a little connector to join the LNB wires thus avoiding the motor, just to test if it was the motor and same problem.

The receiver is fine if I turn it on with the LNB wire out, I can go through the menus fine etc, If I reset the receiver and connect the LNB wire again no problem, I can scan, go through menus etc but once I exit to TV, 5 seconds or so and all locks up, only option is to pull the wire.

It has to be the receiver at fault as have tried everything else.

EDIT** The LNB's are an Inverto 0.2 and also tried a Technomate 0.2

Whip the top off & check the power section for swollen capacitors, may be a cheap fix. Very common, esp. on cheaper boxes, the makers scrimp big time on components.

swcap.jpg

Right success, after a lot of flashing and messing about receiver is now working again so back in action. However more issues.

I mentioned I am blocked from around 5e to 5w by a house, so what I did was sent motor to 0, then reset motor. On receiver entered my details in usuals then sent to 28e, to my surprise 28 was almost full strenght, a bit of nudging and have full signal on 28e, sent to 19e some transponders missing, and after that well goes tits up, so I am running of, now what do I do to fix.

Yeah thinking something to do with motor elevation as I spent some time getting the mount perfectly plumb. Weight of dish an motor could of changed that though.

So 28e is perfect, so I could send to 19e then move motor elevation slightly to see if that helps?

Back