Hargreaves cumin to United for £17 million

Fletch certainly isnt United's best player that's for sure BUT he'd hop into Newcastle's team on one leg, wearing an eyepatch, pissed as a fart with a bad dose of the lickety splits and still be the best player their team. LOL oh I love footy for the banter.

typical manc reply :roflmao:

The Hargreaves issue is a classic case of supply and demand, they've got him, they know United really want him therefore the price tag reflects this. Earleir in the January window Bayern where throwing 23 million stickers on Hargreaves as they knew United wanted him for the champions league (him not being cup-tied an all). IMHO to have had him in the squad for the latter stages of the champions league would have been a total bonus just the type of player needed in a backs to the wall situation. Im in agreement 17 million seems over the top but lets remember this price isnt as yet fixed so only time will tell. United I think personally are crying out for a footballer of this type since we cant replace Keano best to work around the loss. Hargreaves and Carrick can carry each other through the season injury wise and let the Scholes, Giggs and Ronaldo's do the forward role. Facts are United are desperate for just this type of player, Bayern well they're skint now (without champion league football next year) so of course they have to demand stupid money. Classic case of supply and demand!
regards

mrplumb

Funny ,that is near enough what I said a lot earlier in this thread, the one where you replied with some smart arsed comment about fabio alonso.

As for Fabregas, personally I think the boy is pure class , and if Manu had him I am sure all you manc's would be rating him ' Best Midfielder in the World ' .

I entirely agree that Cesc is pure class. I agree entirely with Mickie Ds post. Also the young brazilian kid Arsenal have looks like a Fabregas carbon copy. I think he is called Denilsion, he to has potential and is 1 to watch.

i dont think you will find anyone soon who will play 40+ games for there team at 16 years old and do a great job ?

he is still 19 and our best player this campaign by a country mile without him we would not have finsihed 4th, i dont think you will find many other players at his age that show the kinda experiance, passing, determination that he has... so i diss agree with that m8 ;) lol

he has the potential to be the best player in the world but i agree there is alot of talent.. take messi for example. They are 2 different players where fabregas can pass like no other messi can take on players all over the park

arsenal had a crap season but we still finished 4th and had the worst injuries in the premiership, but its players like fabregas that i agree we must hold onto.

Regards
Mickie D

Totally fair point mate. The post wasn't intended to take anything away from Fabregas, the guy is one of the best finds in recent years and as I said earlier has unlimited potential is undoubtedly a future arsenal captain.

My point was simply that there is plenty of young players across the world who have similar talent and potential just waiting to be groomed into the sort of player that he is and make an impact on football. Whether most of these players mature like Fabregas is another story tho.

Ronaldo121 why do you think i have a problem with Man Utd? Quite the opposite i wanted them to win the league this year. My views about United are in the whole agreed with by most others in this thread EXCEPT the Man Utd fans.

1. Hargreaves isnt worth anywhere near £17m
2. Carrick is completely average and not worth anywhere near £18m
3. Fletcher is complete pish
4. Oshea, Brown, Richardson, Fletcher etc are all ordinary and should be replaced if you truly want to be the best team in the world.

See the difference between you and me m8 is i can see things from an unbiased view and you can't. You think im having a go at Man Utd but actually its things i think they need inprovement in.

As for the supply & demand thing yes this is all very true and is also the reason for the huge wages being paid to footballers. But that doesnt stop it being a piss take when you actually pay it for someone whose average or just OK.And in my opinion now the Man Utd fans cannot look at Chelsea anymore and say they are trying to buy the title.

1. Hargreaves isnt worth anywhere near £17m
2. Carrick is completely average and not worth anywhere near £18m

Totally agree with this, they're both over-priced. But, in the last few years, when Ferguson thought a player was right for the club he's paid whatever it takes (I bet he wishes he did this when he tried to sign Ronaldinho). As is the case when a big club is interested, the price becomes ridiculously inflated. Obviously, if you're willing to take a risk then you can get a bargain (as Wenger does so often).

3. Fletcher is complete pish
4. Oshea, Brown, Richardson, Fletcher etc are all ordinary and should be replaced if you truly want to be the best team in the world.

A little harsh on Fletcher there. I agree that he's not in the same class as Scholes, Ronaldo, Rooney etc, but he's a squad player. You need players at a club that are willing to sit on the bench without kicking up a fuss. He's absolutely rubbish when he plays on the wing, but I think he's average when he plays in the centre of midfield. All these players you mentioned aren't expected to start games on a regular basis, so I don't think they need to be world-class, but they need to be good enough to do a job.

I think Ferguson needs to strengthen his squad for sure, but I don't think its a good idea to have 22 superstars in the team. You start getting problems in terms of motivation and morale when some of these superstars aren't starting matches (Real Madrid is a classic example of this over the years). Man Utd have also got several youngsters out on loan i.e. Ben Foster, Gerard Pique, Giuseppe Rossi, Johnny Evans etc. I'm guessing Ferguson wants to see if these players are good enough before splashing out on replacements.

By the way Fabregas was already seen as a huge talent before he joined Arsenal (when he was still playing for Barcelona). Arsenal managed to nick him before he signed his professional contract. Man Utd did the same with a defender called Gerard Pique but he hasn't really settled in (so far).

back to the subject i dont think hargreeves is worth 18 million but he is a good player i would take him no probs, carrick has a great passing range but dont make me think fook we are playing against carrick today.

utd have a very strong squad i dont think you need to many players.

and the point about buying someone like ronaldinio is very valid he is a huge flair player but sometimes you need strengh over flair you need the right team balance to have players of ronaldo, ronaldinhios standard.

if you have a crap defence and you buy ronaldinhio it wont mean shit when you have let in 3 goals but he has scored 1 goal which is the best ever lol you have still lost.

i think people should buy flair players when they have a solid backbone in the team, take hleb for example sometimes i think the ball is stuck to his feet then the next time he has lost the ball and someone has scored against the arsenals weak defence we seem to have at the mo

for me a top quality defender is needed maybe push toure into a makalale position.. and of course ribery (but i have a sneaky feeling he will end up at chelski or utd)

Agree with that he ain't worth 18 maybe 12 or less. Carrick same worth about 10-12 but its the market for you with United.

I agree but then even United can't afford super star players on the bench so yes the fringe players are average and some below par. Fletcher is a good squad player. Main reason he is there i believe is because he is a scot to. Richardson is also below par. Brown, Silvestre are to error prone not really high quality. However Brown ain't too bad. Silvestre is shite like Richardson. Hopefully Silvestre will go and we will get Pique back.

See ice2004 mate i agree with you. Not every player in our squad is good but then thats why its a squad!

Thanks

Just echoeing the sentiments already mentioned.. Hargreaves okay player but overpriced at £17 mil.. Perhaps Man Utd can do themselves a favour and go and sign a young Reo coker from us....

Do us all a favour!!

Perhaps Man Utd can do themselves a favour and go and sign a young Reo coker from us....

Do us all a favour!!

i heard arsenal was going in for him.

this is the silly season we should all be able to put a bet on the amount of stupid rumours that will be going round

im going for 2000 nearest wins nothing lol

Latest rumours comig out of West ham is that he is off to Spurs FOR £6 MIL....

What a great thread this is !!!!!!!!! ;)
I'm p*ssing my sides here reading some of these posts.

I basicaly agree with ice 2004 100%
The main point is Hargreaves being worth £17M or not.
NO is he fook !!!!!
Average player who looked good at the world cup when he surprised everyone, including himself, when he managed a few passes to people on his own team for a change!

Living 10 miles from Old Trafford I'm used to RED tinted glasses and the bull that goes with them, but they aren't half good for a laugh when they get going : multi :

Back on the Hargreaves issue LOL oh yes that one again, we are talking about a regular England international here are we not. I know I know 17 million too much and all that but for an England international it seems like a fair kop OR are England really that shite.
Ill sit and wait for the onslaught of the Scotsmen on this post claiming that yes they are really that shite LOL. The same goes for Carrick another England international worth 18.5 million debatable BUT would United be champions without him ? Hmmmm maybe not SOOO to united he was worth every penny and I personally think this is the thinking behing the Hargreaves saga (will refer to it as saga from now on). Speculation can carry on with this saga untill were all blue in the face but whether he's worth 17 million or not we might not know until the end of next season or maybe the season after if he does'nt settle,(frankly think he'll settle in very quickly which is worth a couple of million eh) I say let the boy play then we can judge. You never know we even end up with a better midfielder for the England set up after he's had a season or two playing in the Premier league. Im off now to thank the starter off this thread as it been great fun and long may it continue!!

regards

mrplumb

Hargreaves is basically getting this move on the back of a single good performance in one world cup match (I think the opposition was portugal).

I admit he did cover more ground than anyone else that day and he looked like losing would actually hurt. But ignoring that performance, he has looked very very average whenever I have seen him.

Bayern Munich will be laughing all the way to the bank...£17m.

Who they gonna drop to make way ?

The fact is

Hargreaves ain't worth 18 million nor was Carrick.

Both are good players but we have no influence in the market.

This is blowing out of proportion in my opinion.

Is Shevchencko worth 30 million.

I know one thing i rather have Carrick then Sheva considering this seasons performances.

Its true United have paid over the odds again but thats the market for you when the big clubs are involved.

Expect a few more over priced signings this window!!!!

i was quite shocked how crap ballack and shevchenko have been (ballack not so crap lol but still crap) but many players need a season in the premiership before they can adjust.

i think we all agree that hargreeves aint worth 17 million i think we can all agree ferdinand is a very good defender but not worth the 30 million paid for him either and dont take that the wrong way utd boys i dont think there is many players on the planet worth 30 million especially a defender!!!!

i think utd are in a slightly same curcumstance as chelski everyone see's pound notes when they are in for player, liverpool will also see that pressure now they have a billionaire (im not sure how much of a billionaire he is and is yet to be seen).

so you should expect 10 million quid players to cost 20 million and so on.

yeh but you put carrick and hargreaves and scholes and giggs together and still we have a midfielder who is worth more than that.one neame GERRARD..

Yes agree Gerrard is better. However i rather have Scholes in our team then Gerrard any day. Scholes is class. Carrick and Hargreaves are good players but not in the same league as Scholes and Gerrard.

Agree entirely don't thnk Ferdinand was worth £30 mil however he is a good centre back. Look at Vidic he only cost £7-8 mil anf he is quality its just you get some cheap and some you don't.

Ronaldo was quite cheap only £12.7 mil compare that to Rooney £26 million. Its just how the market is.

Back