Guide: Fix DM800 Clone Glitching on HD Channels

is the soldering job something a newbie like myself could attempt? I've a 20db as a solution with an L3 tuner but as I've discovered I've lost some SD chans so this cap sounds like a long term fix.

if you really want to do it its not difficult to learn how to solder, just check out some vids and practice on an old pcb

ive whipped off my tuner and found out its an L3.

there is a cap on the back a 16v 1000uf, but its a small one... i bought 2 from maplins today that are huge...

is it worth swapping them out?

D

Glad you got it sorted.. I'm hoping to do mine asap but need ask a few things...

What's the exact capacitor you purchased from Maplins?

Any chance of uploading those piccies so we can have a look?

Thanks in advance..

is there a step by step with pics for a noob like me? it would help im looking to do this and need all the info including the cap sizes.

theres really not much to it mate.
its just desoldering the relevant cap and replacing it with a bigger one.

if your feeling shaky about the soldering check out youtube on some soldering guides.

before you take the old cap out just check to see which side is positive. the old capacitor might have a plus or a strip on one side. thats the side you want to stick your new long leg into.

apart from that its a standard solder job.

I've a cheapo 30w soldering iron and some standard solder, would that be sufficient or would I need a higher power soldering iron with a finer tip?

Also the pics in the first post were for a REV K board, and after the old cap removed the new cap was soldered elsewhere, Will the same be needed for the REV L3 board?

dsiner: would really like to see some pics!!

Also the pics in the first post were for a REV K board, and after the old cap removed the new cap was soldered elsewhere, Will the same be needed for the REV L3 board?

Pics are for Rev J & K... L3 was supposed to have fixed the issues, so i dont know if the layout is the same with regards to soldering a replacement cap.

Soldering job is very easy... bought myself a £10 soldering iron from maplin. You can buy different tips to go on the iron, but the ones which came with it were fine enough.

Ok the £10 soldering iron at maplins is very similar looking to the one I've got... so just need to make a trip to maplins... looking for the right cap is this the right one?
PC Elect 1000uF 16V VH50E £0.56

the lower the power on your iron, the better.
and dont bother going out to buy a new tip,
just get the file out and file your curent one down until its sharp enough to scratch yourself.
if you need it even finer get yourself a stainless steel needle and tie it onto the end of your soldering iron with some copper wire. make sure you knot it hard though, you might want to use some pliers.

not only will that give you a finer tip but it will add some resistant thereby decreasing the heat available at the end of your tip
if you feel there is still too much heat coming out of your iron, just get a shed load of copper wire and wrap it around the steel portion of the iron so it absorbs all of the heat.
as far as i can remember. 15w is optimal for surface mount soldering.

as far as solder is concerned, you want it to be as fine as possible,
the best one for surface mount soldering is the one with 5 cores and it has flux in each core with a diameter of less than a millimeter.
if you already have some solder though, dont bother going out of your way to buy some new solder, what you have will 'do'. just use flux to make the solder stick to your capactior and the relevant pin surface on the tuner board.

@g33za - that capacitor should be fine.

Hope that helps,
CrazyFool

Last edited:
Ok the £10 soldering iron at maplins is very similar looking to the one I've got... so just need to make a trip to maplins... looking for the right cap is this the right one?
PC Elect 1000uF 16V VH50E £0.56

Thats the one... as long as its 1000uf @ 16v you should be OK no matter where you get it from, or what the manufacturer is... I posted a link in the first post to the cap i used, but for those that missed it, or for people eho want to buy one onlinehave a look here

Last edited:
Well seeing I couldnt get to a maplins in time I ordered some of the caps from fleabay... so once they arrive (guessing monday) I should be ready to brick.. sorry i mean fix my tuner.

so i've just tried this on an L3 tuner, put it back into the box and now the box when starting up (at booting stage) reboots the dreambox. I'm pretty sure I've soldering it properly. Any advice please?

Edit: I took that cap off and tried a new one, this time applying a bit of force to push through the hole, this seemed to work and plugging it back into box (without back plate and cover) the box booted up. Reassembled everything and back to reboot cycle.

Anyone care to help me please?

Last edited:
so i've just tried this on an L3 tuner, put it back into the box and now the box when starting up (at booting stage) reboots the dreambox. I'm pretty sure I've soldering it properly. Any advice please?

Edit: I took that cap off and tried a new one, this time applying a bit of force to push through the hole, this seemed to work and plugging it back into box (without back plate and cover) the box booted up. Reassembled everything and back to reboot cycle.

Anyone care to help me please?

Sorry cant help m8,just posted so you are still top thread so someone else may pick up.
My 800 glitching upstairs but when i had it sitting above my htpc on one of the fan intakes it never flinched.
I would def look at airflow 1st

so removing the new cap and sort of tidying up the solder I reinstalled the original original cap and its now working. So back to square one. Now I'm wondering if the caps I bought from ebay are any good. Maybe time to make the effort to go to maplins...

ouchers.
i wouldnt buy shit like that off ebay.
you dont know what exactly it is.

So what you reckon? Shall I risk it again but with a cap from maplins? I think i got the hang on this soldering malarkey or shall i buy a REV K tuner and practice on that?

yeah, just buy a cap from maplins for 60p or summat.
if it doesnt work again you can just replace it with original like you previously did.
if you still manage to make a balls of it just bu a new tuner or consider buying an original tuner.

before you touch your board again, practice soldering on an old computer or something.

I have finally managed to fix my DM800 clone glitching on all HD channels... No intermittent glitches, or just 'watchable' channels... 100% glitch free!

A colleague of mine and my cousin have also got Dm800 clones and they also suffered glitching on the usual channels, but these are now also working 100% glitch free. So 3 boxes that had issues, are now all fixed (all be it they fixed there's a little while ago)

Now funnily enough, their fixes that solved the glitching differed to mine, so below i will list several things which you should attempt to try and fix any glitching you may have.

Now you will notice that on your HD channels that glitch, your SNR will fluctuate a bit (or alot) and the goal is to stabilize this... My channels that used to glitch are now stable at around 61%

Cooling:
Now many people have additional cooling solutions like this and have reported success... you can pick something up from ebay for a few quid or if youre feeling adventurous, DIY!

On the other hand the complete opposite works for others (this worked for my cousin) you want to get the box warm. To warm up the box leave the box on overnight on a HD channel. what did it for my cousin was the installation of a HDD - make sure the HDD is constantly on (some images allow the disk to goto sleep - disable this) as constant spinning should warm things up. If he put a USB fan over the top of the tuner, you can literally see the picture get worse over 5 min or so! after leaving the box off (not standby) for an hour to cool down, it would take about the same time to warm up again!

Sat Setup:
Too many variables to cover them all but i will briefly go over the main points.
- 20db Inline amp... this did nothing for me, but many users have reported success by installing one
- Offset you LNB a few degrees... just twist the LNB left or right unill the image gets better on screen (you may need a 2nd person to help, i.e sit infront of the tv) This did work for me, but was not a solution i could use, as i use a motor and as a result of offsetting the LNB it could not pick up other sats
- Other things to consider, dish size, Coax cable length, f-connector to LNB, do not use things like joiners or squishy things.
- Get/Use a decent PSU... original ones cost around £15-20 or use one from a dm500 if you have a spare lying around! Original DM800 tuners use 12v 2A psu's!

The Clonebox/Tuner itself:
- Cap Fix - use a 16v/1000uf (got mine here) pics here & here
- Change tone amplitude of tuner. Telnet to your box, and enter the following command... this should show you what your box is currently on.
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
The to change it enter:
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.
Where the 'x' is, enter a value from 1 to 10... start at 1 and work your way up untill one works (if it works). Then save it to /etc/init.d/bootup so it will execute at startup.

There may be one or two little fixes which i have left out, but feel free to comment on what worked for you.

Also try a combination of things, as it took me a long time to finally sort it all out. I tried pretty much everything and nothing happened. I then did the cap fix, and although the glitching was better, it was not perfect. after the cap fix, cooling made it better, but then finally the telnet commands made it perfect!

Mix and match the fixes, would be interesting to see what works with what tuners. Mine was Rev. K - cousins is new L3 (dont know about my colleague but bought around same time as mine so revj/k but will ask tomorrow)

can someone give more detail on telnet to the box ? Also did it wotk for them and what figure worked. I have a Rev J tuner.

Cheers

You can change the tone amplitude in the tuner menu on some images. I know you can on dream elite 1.3.

Back