Good LCD TV's

stevedw

DW Member ++
Reaction score
I was getting advice about LCD Tv's on another forum and someone said 'Samsung make the best panels! Sony arent that good and u just pay for the name! Samsung supply sony with some panels'. Is this true? I want to get a 32 inch HD LCD tv for my bedroom but I dont want to spend more than around £650. thanks for any advice.

Sammy do make the panels for Sony. Sony take care of the aesthetics plus picture processing.

£650 is a huge budget for for a 32". You'll get a great tv for that. What are you going to connect to the tv? Any HD sources?

Sammy do make the panels for Sony. Sony take care of the aesthetics plus picture processing.

£650 is a huge budget for for a 32". You'll get a great tv for that. What are you going to connect to the tv? Any HD sources?

No I don't have any HD sources yet. I'll be connecting my Sony DVD recorder and Phillips Freeview box. Would Argos be a good place to get one or is there anywhere which offers better value, if I can id prefer not to buy one online.

I was getting advice about LCD Tv's on another forum and someone said 'Samsung make the best panels! Sony arent that good and u just pay for the name! Samsung supply sony with some panels'. Is this true? I want to get a 32 inch HD LCD tv for my bedroom but I dont want to spend more than around £650. thanks for any advice.

Samsung do make pannels for Sony, BUT Sony adds it's own circuitry to make it better. Yes you do pay more for Sony displays but some of that is taken up by the R&D of the technology being used and some on the 'name'. Sony's Picture Software/ circuitry is a lot better than the Samsungs.

If you only have £650 to spare on an LCD then yes the Samsung is a good buy for the money...if you want a better LCD then you look at premium models/brands.

If your looking to buy one, it will be far cheaper online And sometimes these online shops also have a normal shop which can offer the same price......for example empiredirect,

If you really dont want to shop on the net then i would look for the cheapest shop price and get Johnlewis to Match it

Last edited:
I'd go with John Lewis if you're buying on the high st. If you have a PRC nearby they are well worth checking out also.

Some TVs you may want to check out
Philips 32PFL7562D around £600
Sharp LC32GD8E around £450
Samsung LE32R87BDX around £550
Sharp LC32RD2E around £600
Toshiba 32WLT68 around £650 the WLT66 is also a great tv

I prefer the Sharp and Philips LCD's

Good luck

Tesco does good deal on LCD if you are in london go to Tottnam court Road.

Thanks for the link. Has anyone here bought a TV from http://www.directtvs.co.uk before. just wondering how reliable, etc.. they are. I saw a Samsung 32" lcd tv there which looks good value at £489.97, please tell me if its a good deal.

http://www.directtvs.co.uk/Samsung_LE32R74BDX_32_Inch_HD_Ready_LCD_TV_LE32R74BDX/version.asp

Also I saw a Samsung 32" lcd on the Argos website (link below). It costs £699.99. Which Samsung lcd is better, the one above from directtvs or the one from Argos.

http://www.argos.co.uk/static/Produ...sma+televisions>FC$Brands=Samsung.Samsung.htm

Last edited:

There are very few factories that do make LCD panels so the majority of manufacturers use the same panels.

Sony's have always looked great to me but Samsung have caught up. Samsung used to be awful but the last of their TVs that I saw were great value for money.

If you only have £650 to spare on an LCD then yes the Samsung is a good buy for the money...if you want a better LCD then you look at premium models/brands.

I thought Samsung was a premium brand. On qvc they said Samsung was up there with the top 20 brands in the world like sony, intel, microsoft, etc..

try a pioneer???

hi all, if you wanna good good plasma/lcd ....try a pioneer!

i work in the tv trade as a field engineer .......and up till now never fixed one!!

okay...so the price of them is twice a normal plasma/lcd ......but it just goes to show price still means something!!!

Thanks for the link. Has anyone here bought a TV from http://www.directtvs.co.uk before. just wondering how reliable, etc.. they are. I saw a Samsung 32" lcd tv there which looks good value at £489.97, please tell me if its a good deal.

i have bought from them the tv came within a couple of days, in good condition etc i'm well pleased. i bought the cheap delivery so i had to be in to help the man get it in the house lol (the 42" Viewpia lcd one). all good upto now, if the telly breaks within a year they pick it up and repair/return it to you for free

i have bought from them the tv came within a couple of days, in good condition etc i'm well pleased. i bought the cheap delivery so i had to be in to help the man get it in the house lol (the 42" Viewpia lcd one). all good upto now, if the telly breaks within a year they pick it up and repair/return it to you for free

Can you specify the actual day you want it to be delivered because im usually out in the week so would want it delivered at the weekend.

I dont know weather to get a 32" LCD tv or a 26" one. My current tv in my bedroom is a 21" Toshiba Flatscreen CRT. Is a 26" LCD tv good for watching films? As that is one of the main reasons I want a new tv.

On the plus side a 26" one would be cheaper but on the downside it would only be 5 inchs bigger than my current tv.

Has anyone here ever wall mounted an lcd tv on a wall that isnt brick. The side of my bedroom I want the tv to be is a wooden wall with plaster over it, I was just wondering if it would be secure or not.

I'm not sure what you mean by wooden wall? Is it an internal partition that you are referring to?

You'll have to do the old 'knock on wood' technique and hope that you find a batton to screw into rather than just plasterboard. Hollow sounds are very bad lol

I'd be vary hanging a tv on plasterboard wall though especially if I was uncertain about locating something solid.

Back