Golf MK2 Engine needs work

I am glad you have the car running right,however there seems to be a lot of patched up pipe and tubing work going on. All of these play an important part to your car. I am talking about the distributor vacuum advance pipe,the heat resistant pipe from the exhaust manifold to your air box.It is there to serve a purpose. It takes warm air from the exhaust manifold to the air box and then it stops your carb from freezing.Change these pipes and anything else that looks dodgy and your car will run tons better.Good luck with it Pimped keep us informed. Got to go now lunch break over lol

I am glad you have the car running right,however there seems to be a lot of patched up pipe and tubing work going on. All of these play an important part to your car. I am talking about the distributor vacuum advance pipe,the heat resistant pipe from the exhaust manifold to your air box.It is there to serve a purpose. It takes warm air from the exhaust manifold to the air box and then it stops your carb from freezing.Change these pipes and anything else that looks dodgy and your car will run tons better.Good luck with it Pimped keep us informed. Got to go now lunch break over lol
That hot air pipe is deffo up for a change!! Unfortunately, the one I was going to get is now discontinued!

The diameter of the hose is 50-51mm and the length is about 600mm. I could get 2 50mm diam x 450mm length ones and then slot in a 45mm diam x 450mm length hose to join them up from the inside.

Don't know what else to do or where else I could get one :(

Are there no breakers yards near you mate?
Not any that do Mk2 Golfs anymore :(

I don't mind paying for a new one as I'm trying to make the engine look nice, but can't find any :S

Hi girls

Hospital today so only just back online, Well doesnt sound like the head gasket has gone to me but being over filled will oil is not good.

First i would keep it running and make sure all the excess oil is burnt away, tbh you got to remember how old the car is, so not the end of the world smoking to much.

Any chance of a engine running and idle then pull out the dipstick and see if the engine revs change or if it smokes. And then turn filler cap while running but carefull could it could spit out oil.

Agreed got to check all breather pipes even crank case on the rear if it has one? or do that have a box first before crank case?

Maybe when your sure everthing is good let the engine warm by idle then rev let off then again then off and then see how the smoke is best to check on the road but bit hard to video lol.

Im guessing prob value steam seals :Fish:

Hi girls

Hospital today so only just back online, Well doesnt sound like the head gasket has gone to me but being over filled will oil is not good.

First i would keep it running and make sure all the excess oil is burnt away, tbh you got to remember how old the car is, so not the end of the world smoking to much.

Any chance of a engine running and idle then pull out the dipstick and see if the engine revs change or if it smokes. And then turn filler cap while running but carefull could it could spit out oil.

Agreed got to check all breather pipes even crank case on the rear if it has one? or do that have a box first before crank case?

Maybe when your sure everthing is good let the engine warm by idle then rev let off then again then off and then see how the smoke is best to check on the road but bit hard to video lol.

Im guessing prob value steam seals :Fish:

Thanks mate, I'm gonna have to read this again when I'm not so tired so I can decipher what you're saying in some places! lol

Why were you in the hospital? Is everything alright?

Okay, I drove the car last night about 5 miles. Put in half a bottle of fuel injector cleaner (carlube brand I think) and filled up £10. When I got towards the end of my journey, the engine just lost power! I don't know what happened. I tried revving it to keep it alive but nothing was happening. I pulled over, switched everything off, waited 20 seconds and then started the car again and just kept it on high revs. I thought there was smoke coming out the back, but the car who was with me all the way said there was nothing coming out the exhaust, which is good news. After about a minute of driving with half clutch down and revving to get me to my destination, I let go of the accelerator, and it was all back to normal so I left it running.

I thought, my engine's had it! lol, lucky that it's still alive.

It's running really smoothly and driving it is so much more better now compared to how it's been driving over the last 6 or so years! Woo!!

Thanks mate, I'm gonna have to read this again when I'm not so tired so I can decipher what you're saying in some places! lol

Why were you in the hospital? Is everything alright?

lol sorry if it dont read correct i was told many years ago i have dyslexia but i just get on with it. :banana:

Hospital was for my prostate pain iv had for months now, just to go with all my other problems :( turned 40 and bang sicknote.

Anyway how you doing then m8, did try and edit my post but button missing lol a video i wanted to see really when u pull out dipstick and filler cap.

i dont think there is a vacuum unit on distributor,carefully check hard plastic servo pipe for splits as that is a very common air leak source,the hot air pipe at this time of year is not crucial,do you have any motor factors near you as they should stock the hot air pipe.when the car lost power did it start straight away or only after it cooled down,distributor or more likely ignition coil breakdown.if you have a faulty petrol pump flow of petrol bad through fuel filter.

Carb icing is a common problem with MKII's. Most people will direct you to change the wax stat in the air box however I would check that you are not missing the 'snorkle' that sucks air in from the wing, or the tube that brings hot air in from the exhaust manifold. Also take the vacuum tube that actuates the hot/cold air selector (the box where the snorkle from the wing and the tube from the manafold join before going into the air filter) and suck on it to check that the flap in the selector operates. The flap is hinged on a metal spindle, this spindle can corrode and lock the selector flap. If this is the case, break the selector box apart rub the rust off the spindle and put it back together with a touch of wd40 or the like.

Great find pimped just what you need. Now to add that bit of colour mate. Keep us posted :Clap:

any more updates on the car??

fireblade.

No updates on the car yet. just waiting till next week as they're getting aluminium duct hoses at 1 metre lengths in my required 50mm Inner Diameter :D

No updates on the car yet. just waiting till next week as they're getting aluminium duct hoses at 1 metre lengths in my required 50mm Inner Diameter :D

Nice one pimped keep us informed mate.:Clap:

I finally had some time to put in the aluminium ducting that I got from i-sells into the engine:

Before
IMAG0417Small.jpg

IMAG0983Small.jpg

After
IMAG0981Small.jpg

IMAG0980Small.jpg

IMAG0982Small.jpg

Now I gotta work on making the rest of the engine look this nice ;)

Back