Golf MK2 Engine needs work

When I first looked at this, it seemed wrong, but now looking at it again today, I realised that it's SPOT ON!

Well done and thanks Miggy :)

Glad you got it sorted pimped. Now you are back on track again paint that rocker cover next and it will look cool. It looks tons better already mate. :Clap:

Glad you got it sorted pimped. Now you are back on track again paint that rocker cover next and it will look cool. It looks tons better already mate. :Clap:
Thanks Miggy :)

Next, I gotta get a Pre-Heater hose and get the engine to look a little better like below:

vw-golf-mk2-engine-05.jpg

Oh well no reply so when you get using lots of fuel then maybe look for the air leak lmao.

Too many bedroom mechanics on here rotflmao

Most 4 cyclinders or 1342 lol

Could of put the bottom pully on tdc mark and the rotary arm would have been at 1.

Some old cars have a cut mark in the dist and thats where 1 lines up.

I did have a listen to the videos but havent read all the post tbh, did sound like there was a air leak but bit hard to tell from a video.

Have you checked all the breather pipes are ok and not colapsed and vacume pipes no splits??

Oh well no reply so when you get using lots of fuel then maybe look for the air leak lmao.

Sorry mate I didn't get back to you earlier. Got the spark plug order sorted, I checked the vacuum pipe going from the distributor to the carburettor and that did seem a bit collapsed. If I applied even a pit of pressure on it to push it into the connecting pipe on the distributor, it would slow the engine right down.

I've stuck a small screwdriver down the linking tube to clear the blockage and the engine is running a little better :)

I've got a bigger problem which I will highlight in the next post :(

lmao no problem m8, i always get blanked and little bit of sarcasm gets a reply :banana:

Think there is a few pipes on there so have a good look, and has this dist got points and condensor ???

Oh no not more problems :rip:

By the way I am not a bedroom mechanic i am fully qualified so do not judge people from behind a keyboard pal i do not take kind to it.

By the way I am not a bedroom mechanic i am fully qualified so do not judge people from behind a keyboard pal i do not take kind to it.

Wow im worried aint i, and was i talking to you? unless your are a bedroom mechanic? So if you not m8 why you so bothered??

I heard a air leak and thats it and qualified means nothing if you only work on one make of car.

Wow im worried aint i, and was i talking to you? unless your are a bedroom mechanic? So if you not m8 why you so bothered??

I heard a air leak and thats it and qualified means nothing if you only work on one make of car.

bollocks your attitude stinks. You have your opinions and I have mine. This site is all about giving advice.Get it? Good.And no i don't just work on one car.

bollocks your attitude stinks. You have your opinions and I have mine. This site is all about giving advice.Get it? Good.And no i don't just work on one car.

Bollocks to you too mate, and who said you worked on one car? Get over yourself and stop thinking im your better then everyone else. Get it!!!!

Well i give and take and if you dont like it you deal with it, your so paranoid aint you.

Oh just coz iv got a low post count doesnt mean i dont know anything either too.

Now try helping Pimped instead of being paranoid If you aint a bedroom mechainc or work on one make of car then how can i be talking to you??

:banana:

Last edited:
Bollocks to you too mate, and who said you worked on one car? Get over yourself and stop thinking im your better then everyone else. Get it!!!!

Well i give and take and if you dont like it you deal with it, your so paranoid aint you.

Oh just coz iv got a low post count doesnt mean i dont know anything either too.

Now try helping Pimped instead of being paranoid If you aint a bedroom mechainc or work on one make of car then how can i be talking to you??

:banana:

This has got nothing to do with how many posts you have or if you are a mechanic or not. I am not paranoid in the least.This site is about helping people I actually do not know why i am having this conversation with you.So i suggest you get off your high horse and concentrate on helping people on here.As far as i am concerned this conversation is now over.

This has got nothing to do with how many posts you have or if you are a mechanic or not. I am not paranoid in the least.This site is about helping people I actually do not know why i am having this conversation with you.So i suggest you get off your high horse and concentrate on helping people on here.As far as i am concerned this conversation is now over.

Ok im off my horse :Clap: didnt know even had one lmao

And the reason you having this conversation with me as you took it personally when i said bedroom mechanic and one type of make of car, and it was a bit of sarcasm ie a joke. :proud: Now you wind you neck back in and we can get along just fine.

Im wait for Pimped to tell us his bad news : grim :

Point taken ja5 lets forget this conversation ever happened it was a bit pathetic really wasn't it?. Now lets concentrate on what challenge pimped has for us next.Do you agree?. :Clap:

Point taken ja5 lets forget this conversation ever happened it was a bit pathetic really wasn't it?. Now lets concentrate on what challenge pimped has for us next.Do you agree?. :Clap:

No np this end m8 never wasnt ment to be personal. So i forgive you :classic:

I think pimped given up and just watching us fight lol or maybe that bad he cant post it.

I hope pimped is ok ja5 I have not heard from him since he did the plug leads. I hope he didn't touch them while it was running lol

SuperStock_1660R-16543.jpg

I hope pimped is ok ja5 I have not heard from him since he did the plug leads. I hope he didn't touch them while it was running lol

Lmao that might make sense why he aint replied :Fish:

Saying that i did it once on a old merc and i won lol made the engine stop!!

Umm when i was a about 18 i had a gen to repair for a m8 that been in water, got it running and grabs the pack ffs it threw out the bedroom into the hall, maybe thats why im the clever one with no fooking hair in the family :Clap:

First of all clip your air filter cover back on its sucking in air. Could be your fuel mixture that's wrong or worn valves Is it losing a lot of water/oil?. I think the same as ja5 its got a vacuum leak somewhere.What do you reckon ja5?.

Last edited:
First of all clip your air filter cover back on its sucking in air. Could be your fuel mixture that's wrong or worn valves Is it losing a lot of water/oil?. I think the same as ja5 its got a vacuum leak somewhere.What do you reckon ja5?.
Yeah I clipped that in after, I just wanted to see if it started.

I don't think it's losing a lot of oil/water. But I will have to check the dipstick. I've recently done an oil change.

So there's an off chance that it could jus be incorrect mixture and not an expensive repair? It does seem to be running much nicely since I stuck a little screwdriver through the vacum pipe from the distributor. I will need to get a new rubber coupler/link (well actually I might as well just get a while bunch of them while I'm at it). You know what I'm talking about? Not sure what the right search term would be. It's to connect the vacuum tube to the distributor/carburettor and it is covered with a braided material of some sort.

:)

LOOOOOL, was my webcam on? :p

Btw guys, when I got the car back from the garage recently, they had overfilled the oil twice as much as the capacity, so the blue smoke could just be where the oil had gotten into places it shouldn't have and probably burning off.

There's no loss of power and the engine is running really nicely, so it could just be that. When they overfilled it, I ran the engine trying to burn off the oil because I didn't know they had overfilled it that much, we thought it was just a little extra.

Had to abandon the car there as it was pitch black and they had already left (as we had come to pick up car at the end of the day). When we came back, they drained out the oil and changed the air filter. When I took the car back on a recovery truck, i had to clean out the spark plugs and cleaned out the breather hoses and underside of the rocker cover using carburettor cleaner. So there's a chance that the oil may have gotten in places I didn't look at and was just burning off.

Just ran the car now and it's still running nicely and idling very well. No smoke coming out of exhaust.

Back