giving up smoking with will power

what shall i go with??

• Total voters
I smoked from 17 til 26 year old. For most of the time I wanted to give up and I tried and failed. When I really wanted to give up I did. I gave up for 3 months when I didn't want to and started again but when I was in the right place with the right attitude I managed it. 4 years later and I've not touched anything to do with the baccy. I even kept the cigars I was given for my sons birth to smoke later. They can chuck them in when they light me up.

Smoking is a fooking pain, costing too much money atm, as bro said give up anyway you can, be good to add e-cig to the poll?, i still don't like the government dictating what people do with their life's don't agree with that at all.

use an ecig myself,allthough i still ove a good fag,most nights for quite a few hours i will be on the ecig puffing away,the way i see it is the more i smoke that the less a smoke cigs

Just a quick up date lads. Have only got a bit of tabaco left now and then ill go for it. Thanks for all the comments you have all done. Will keep you guys posted on how i get on. :)

fb.

sent from my GT-15801 using tapatalk pro

Just a quick up date lads. Have only got a bit of tabaco left now and then ill go for it. Thanks for all the comments you have all done. Will keep you guys posted on how i get on. :)

fb.

sent from my GT-15801 using tapatalk pro

From where I was in relation to where you are. You're not ready to give up. If you were you would sling the last bit out and that would be that.

I had a few false starts where I was on my last bit of baccy and I didn't manage it :(

I admire you guys, i'd love to stop but i get stressed as it is I dread to know what i would be like if i did

smoked for about 35 years then about 5 or 6 years ago decided to stop. even had about 7 cigs left in a packet, just said fook it and stopped.

the wife stopped soon after me as well, it's hard at first but it will get easier. found going for a drink the hardest time but then they banned smoking in pubs so not a problem now.

I gave up due to fitness, took up football again and couldnt breath after 10 mins graft on the pitch so I said the hell with this and just stopped. It had immediate and noticeable differences for me and that spurred me on even more, after just a week of quitting I was able to run for longer and recover faster (maybe physcological) that was just the incentive I needed to beat the habit. Smoker for 20 years or so and I have never looked back.

Some other health benefits worth bearing in mind if your ever tempted to go back on the tabs

Better sex

Stopping smoking improves the body’s bloodflow, so improves sensitivity. Men who stop smoking may get better erections. Women may find that their orgasms improve and they become aroused more easily. It’s also been found that non-smokers are three times more appealing to the opposite sex than smokers (one of the advantages, perhaps, of smelling fresh).

Non-smokers find it easier to get pregnant. Quitting smoking improves the lining of the womb and can make men’s sperm more potent. Becoming a non-smoker increases the possibility of conceiving through IVF and reduces the likelihood of having a miscarriage. Most importantly, it improves the chances of giving birth to a healthy baby.
Younger looking skin

Stopping smoking has been found to slow facial ageing and delay the appearance of wrinkles. The skin of a non-smoker gets more nutrients, including oxygen, and can reverse the sallow, lined complexion that smokers often have.

Giving up tobacco stops teeth becoming stained, and you'll have fresher breath. Ex-smokers are less likely than smokers to get gum disease and lose their teeth prematurely.

People breathe more easily and cough less when they give up smoking because their lung capacity improves by up to 10% within nine months. In your 20s and 30s, the effect of smoking on your lung capacity may not be noticeable until you go for a run, but lung capacity naturally diminishes with age. In later years, having maximum lung capacity can mean the difference between having an active, healthy old age and wheezing when going for a walk or climbing the stairs.
Longer life

Half of all long-term smokers die early from smoking-related diseases, including heart disease, lung cancer and chronic bronchitis. Men who quit smoking by 30 add 10 years to their life. People who kick the habit at 60 add three years to their life. In other words, it’s never too late to benefit from stopping. Quitting not only adds years to your life, but it also greatly improves the chance of a disease-free, mobile, happier old age.
Less stress

Scientific studies show that people's stress levels are lower after they stop smoking. Nicotine addiction makes smokers stressed from the ‘withdrawal’ between cigarettes. The pleasant feeling of satisfying that craving is only temporary and is not a real cure for stress. Also, the improved levels of oxygen in the body means that ex-smokers can concentrate better and have increased mental wellbeing.
Improved smell and taste

Kicking the smoking habit gives your senses of smell and taste a boost. The body is recovering from being dulled by the hundreds of toxic chemicals found in cigarettes.
More energy

Within 2 to 12 weeks of stopping smoking, the circulation improves. This makes all physical activity, including walking and running, much easier. Quitting boosts the immune system, making it easier to fight off colds and flu. The increase in oxygen in the body makes ex-smokers less tired and less likely to have headaches.
Healthier loved ones

By stopping smoking you'll be protecting the health of your non-smoking friends and family.

Passive smoking increases a non-smoker's risk of lung cancer, heart disease and stroke. Second-hand smoke makes children twice at risk of chest illnesses, including pneumonia, croup (swollen airways in the lungs) and bronchitis, plus more ear infections, wheezing and asthma. They also have three times the risk of getting lung cancer in later life compared with children who live with non-smokers.

Quitting is good for their health as well as yours.

Go for it man and good luck :)

Edit : Had to post this aswell as it's to interesting not to :)

Within ...

20 minutes
Your blood pressure, pulse rate, and the temperature of your hands and feet will all return to normal.
8 hours
Remaining nicotine in your bloodstream will have fallen to 6.25% of normal peak daily levels, a 93.25% reduction.
12 hours
Your blood oxygen level will have increased to normal and carbon monoxide levels will have dropped to normal.
24 hours
Anxieties peak in intensity and within two weeks should return to near pre-cessation levels.
48 hours
Damaged nerve endings have started to regrow and your sense of smell and taste are beginning to return to normal. Cessation anger and irritability peaks.
72 hours
Your entire body will test 100% nicotine-free and over 90% of all nicotine metabolites (the chemicals it breaks down into) will now have passed from your body via your urine. Symptoms of chemical withdrawal have peaked in intensity, including restlessness. The number of cue induced crave episodes experienced during any quitting day will peak for the "average" ex-user. Lung bronchial tubes leading to air sacs (alveoli) are beginning to relax in recovering smokers. Breathing is becoming easier and the lungs functional abilities are starting to increase.
5 - 8 days
The "average" ex-smoker will encounter an "average" of three cue induced crave episodes per day. Although we may not be "average" and although serious cessation time distortion can make minutes feel like hours, it is unlikely that any single episode will last longer than 3 minutes. Keep a clock handy and time them.
10 days
10 days - The "average ex-user is down to encountering less than two crave episodes per day, each less than 3 minutes.
10 days to 2 weeks
Recovery has likely progressed to the point where your addiction is no longer doing the talking. Blood circulation in our gums and teeth are now similar to that of a non-user.
2 to 4 weeks
Cessation related anger, anxiety, difficulty concentrating, impatience, insomnia, restlessness and depression have ended. If still experiencing any of these symptoms get seen and evaluated by your physician.
21 days
Brain acetylcholine receptor counts up-regulated in response to nicotine's presence have now down-regulated and receptor binding has returned to levels seen in the brains of non-smokers.
2 weeks to 3 months
Your heart attack risk has started to drop. Your lung function is beginning to improve.
3 weeks to 3 months
Your circulation has substantially improved. Walking has become easier. Your chronic cough, if any, has likely disappeared.
1 to 9 months
Any smoking related sinus congestion, fatigue or shortness of breath have decreased. Cilia have regrown in your lungs thereby increasing their ability to handle mucus, keep your lungs clean, and reduce infections. Your body's overall energy has increased.
1 year
Your excess risk of coronary heart disease, heart attack and stroke has dropped to less than half that of a smoker.
5 to 15 years
Your risk of stroke has declined to that of a non-smoker.
10 years
Your risk of being diagnosed with lung cancer is between 30% and 50% of that for a continuing smoker (2005 study). Risk of death from lung cancer has declined by almost half if you were an average smoker (one pack per day). Your risk of pancreatic cancer has declined to that of a never-smoker (2011 study), while risk of cancer of the mouth, throat and esophagus has also declined.
13 years
Your risk of smoking induced tooth loss has declined to that of a never-smoker (2006 study).
15 years
Your risk of coronary heart disease is now that of a person who has never smoked.
20 years
Female excess risk of death from all smoking related causes, including lung disease and cancer, has now reduced to that of a never-smoker (2008 study). Risk of pancreatic cancer reduced to that of a never-smoker (2011 study).

Last edited:
From where I was in relation to where you are. You're not ready to give up. If you were you would sling the last bit out and that would be that.

I had a few false starts where I was on my last bit of baccy and I didn't manage it :(

yes i am mate, the thing is if i just stop and i have got what i have left i will just smoke that later on, i have got so much determination to give up i will do it.

fb.

I've been stopped since august Fireblade. I've got a half full packet of regal kingsize and a pouch of baccy sitting next to me constantly ( I wont let the wife throw them out) and 2 cartons 20PKTs (had 4 but sold 2) of baccy upstairs in the cupboard. It's all about will power

I have been stopped for 4 months now.

I used the champix tablets. Keep smoking while starting the tablets the stop 10 days in. By that time you dont even want one. They just dont hit the spot anymore. I didnt even finish the course of tablets.

I went to the doctor and they sent me to a 'meeting' with a counselor. We all sat round and talked about how we felt. Laughable, but to be honest that helped. Its all about changing your habits and being ready to quit. As we were told 'Failing to prepare, is preparing to fail!'

Well worth going. I had been trying to quit for over a year. I have tried gum, patches lozenges and cold turkey. All failed.

Avoid patches as chemists take your money and not imperial tabacco

Well its day two and to be honnest I dont fell that bad. Have still got the craveing but not so bad ad yesterday.
Id not as bad I thort.

Fb.

Taa pete. Nah I wont have had the erge to have a sneaky cig bit have not.

Fb.

I left school at 15 and smoked until I was 40, for the last three years of smoking I had bronchitis every winter lasting longer each time. On the last episode I thought thats it and stopped smoking. At first I had some in the house "just in case" but decided if they were there then eventually I would give in and start again so I binned the lot.
Ok I had about three difficult weeks and at one time in an office licence I found myself picking up some cigars (totally unconsciously) so put them back, my one overriding thought was I knew the tobacco companies OWNED MY body and this made me determined to beat them!!
I've not smoked since (about 25 years now) and never will again, but now a warning I have seen many friends give up then accept one from a well meaning friend saying "one wont hurt" but sooner or later their hooked again.
When I stopped there were no aids to help the process you had to do it the hard way, I have a 22 year old grandson who despite patches, sprays e.t.c. still cannot manage and to be honest I believe these aids encourage an "it's easy" attitude and "I can always stop again belief" both totally wrong.
Whatever way you do it it will be one of the most worthwhile things you ever do, not only from the health side of things but you attitude towards life's difficulties will also change because you know you can beat a problem when you are determined enough to tackle it.
In the initial stages the smell of tobacco smoke WILL start a craving so avoid situations where you will be exposed to it, after that stage you will wonder how you ever put up with that stink.

Good luck and remember your already half way there.

Well its day two and to be honnest I dont fell that bad. Have still got the craveing but not so bad ad yesterday.
Id not as bad I thort.

Fb.

Well done mate.. Keep it up. You'll feel so much better after a week or so.

Its all about the willpower, I used to smoke and just decided to stop cos I felt crap! After I said no to offers of a fag from mates a few times they stopped asking - then it was easy! Tell yourself you are a non smoker, not an ex-smoker - that way your mind won't feel it has given something up! Good luck with it, I'm sure you will be fine - you use very positive language!

Trabbs hit on a very good point here and something that I'll expand upon. I see lots of people this time of year for smoking cessation and the way in which people see changing their habbits is important.

1. If you tell someone to quit or stop smething - they will argue internally as they have always been told never to give up - try try again etc

2. If you tell someone that they must do something - the internal argument is "you cant tell me what to do , we live in a free society"

4. If you tell someone it's bad for you - some like being bad.

I always start my sessions with a cup of tea and a chat about why they smoke. How they started etc. You be surprised at the answers I get.

Most tell me that tehy are a smoker and I ask them if it is fairer to say that they are a person who learned to smoke?

I then ask them to recall the very first time they had a cigarette, and describe the taste, the smell, the feelings they had. Most people get a headache and are almost sick with their first cigarette. They found the taste disgusting etc and they stank of smoke for ages afterwards.

Once I have established the normal first cigarette feeling pattern I then ask them to close their eyes and imagine everything they felt at that first cigarette and re-live its experience. I get them to explain it to me fully whilst I am taping my fingers rythmically gently on the table. I then ask them to re-live that first cigarette experience each and everytime they have a cigarette. I also ask them whether its a natural thing to smoke, to fill your body with chemicals and ask if they would drink bleach or some other household cleaner - of course the answer is no, so I ask them again why they smoke.

Sometimes I do this under hypnosis but mostly just use NLP in the waking state to reframe and get their subconscious to see the simularity with drinking and smoking chemicals.

And of course I always tell them that they have the strength to do what ever they want.

My success rate is about 70% and my quickest was one 5 minute chat in the kitchen with a nephew of mine this christmas who has been smoking since he was 8 years old. (dont ask - just suffice to say my sister has a lot to answer for). Fortunately he is one of the population and at an age where he is especially open to suggestion.

If anyone wants any hypno help - just holler.

Also worth knowing for some that Tesco offer cessation courses, but these are based on patches etc. But I agree with the majority that using a chemical means is not good.

have been smoking for about 7 years now and have decided that i need to give up

fb.

the most important word in that first sentence is the "i" that is the first hurdle tbh once anybody has said

i am giving up

i need to give up

i will give up

and are doing it because they want to and are not being pressured by others then you have a good chance to do by will power.

good luck...... the only time i like the smell of cigs is on the golf course and one of the guys in our group smokes rollups, just that first wiff when he lights up the first one.

Back