Do you prefer oven or fried chips?

• FRIED

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • OVEN

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • NEITHER

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
Nothing will ever live up to Beatties Fish and Chips - in Bray Street, Belfast and also on the Shankill Road - that I remember from my childhood and youth.

The problem is that nowadays most chippies use 'healthy' vegetable oils. The chips you remember were deep fried in good old fashioned beef dripping. There are still the odd few that use it. The difference in taste is astonishing.

With the old wooden church pews seats.....Beaties were the best. And to top it off we had a smokie....you remember them Ham...:proud:

Don't remember the smokie - maybe it was after my time.

??? :)

Don't remember the smokie - maybe it was after my time.

??? :)

A smokie was just creamsoda and ice cream with a flake....lots of places call it ice cream soda but they called it a smokie for some reason...never knew why.

@nara...there are still some that use dripping (my mum)...I remember I used to write my name in it before it melted...lol

Was it called Whitecap ???

I voted oven but have to agree they are shite.
It's as though they are hollow with no bant at all.
Mrs Curly forces them down my neck in the beleif that they are better for us lol

I remember my mum doing them in a proper chip pan with lard. They tasted wonderful!!!

Curly

There not dipped in batter but fried in a special fat i think that makes them go bright orange and really crispy with bits of batter stuck to them,
ok with a bit of kebab meat wrapped around one tho :proud:

im sure they are bright orange because they use a dye same as they use on maggots i remember a few years back seeing something on the local news about it with them saying it could cause cancer or something like that

but they are nice have em every week

im sure they are bright orange because they use a dye same as they use on maggots i remember a few years back seeing something on the local news about it with them saying it could cause cancer or something like that

but they are nice have em every week

And there was me thinking you was sun tanned from your Hol's few week back lol :proud: its all that food dye in ya chips

best chips i've had recently was a chippy next to the bus station in Cleavley's, did not get that many though but were big and chunky.

Queue was out of the door for this place!

Last edited:
i think why these were great cause we was at the seaside, i think the whole ambience made the experience better, still can't beat chips in newspaper, my nan used to make em like that.

It's great getting Fish n Chips wrapped up in Newspaper,

You can eat and read at the same time.

Me loves peeling the batter off the Fish and putting some Chips in it.

Also Worcestershire sauce is great on Fish n Chips.

Back