Do you prefer oven or fried chips?

• FRIED

Votes: 32 62.7%
  • OVEN

Votes: 12 23.5%
  • NEITHER

Votes: 7 13.7%

• Total voters
you are a philistine sir, i like chips the way my parents used to make out of real spuds then leave them soaking in water for a while to do that osmosis's i think. Then fry the hell out of them.

i still do it, its to stop the chips from drying out while you prepare the rest of the tea. well thats why i do it anyway. oh i like them in the frier, oven ones are as dry as nuns fa**y.

They batter chips?

:err:

Sounds like something us Scots would create :)

forgot your from the south, are not you?

so you have not had a scallop, well basically a slice of the biggest potato you can find, battered, then fried. Used to love them on a barm (or bap or bread roll whatever you call them). Beleive me they are lush.

They batter chips?

:err:

Sounds like something us Scots would create :)

There not dipped in batter but fried in a special fat i think that makes them go bright orange and really crispy with bits of batter stuck to them,
ok with a bit of kebab meat wrapped around one tho :proud:

forgot your from the south, are not you?

Glasgow mate. :)
(well, 1 mile outside)

I love potato scallops mate (locally we call the fritters) :) but manse said it was chips in batter.

Last edited:
so you have not had a scallop, well basically a slice of the biggest potato you can find, battered, then fried.

Ahhhh good old scallops...theres a chippy near us that do them and they are the size of a saucer...lovely grub.

Our chippy does them with curry sauce :)

Glasgow mate. :)
(well, 1 mile outside)

I love potato scallops mate (locally we call the fritters) :) but manse said it was chips in batter.

soz bro.

That sounds like a heart attack waiting to happen.

scallops are the bomb, pity our southern bro's do not have :(

we have the good old scallop in the west mids m8, love mine thin and drenched in S&V with a pickled egg

Last edited:
bit off topic, but a while back was doing a job in Wembley, went to the local fish & chip near my hotel, asked for chips, rice and gravy and barm, they looked at me though i was a retard. WTF?

bit off topic, but a while back was doing a job in Wembley, went to the local fish & chip near my hotel, asked for chips, rice and gravy and barm, they looked at me though i was a retard. WTF?

barm is a manchester thing mate, i now live in newcastle and they look at me funny when i ask for a barm and also when i ask for a cheese and onion pie, they respond with, we have a cheese flan.

barm is a manchester thing mate, i now live in newcastle and they look at me funny when i ask for a barm and also when i ask for a cheese and onion pie, they respond with, we have a cheese flan.

so you can't get a steak n kidney pie barm? I am seriously thinking about lodging a complaint with the EU.

i used to get chips gravy cheese and onion pie and a barm, not no more.

have to get back up to manc fella, also when chippies make jumbo sausages you can never replicate that taste when you do them?

(still meat pie chips n gravy fav, love the way the meat juices ooze out)

I prefer fried but only have oven. House doesn't smell of chips and they are lighter. Oven chips are nasty though.

i voted oven.

I would like to think that it isnt due to me being english.... but I am so sick of a deep fried slice....

i voted oven.

I would like to think that it isnt due to me being english.... but I am so sick of a deep fried slice....

leave that deep fried stuff alone, their is a place near me that does chips in newspapers, tasty as hell, shop has been open since i was a kid, another chippy does this gravy, it's really black but tasty as hell.

We used to have frozen ones done in the oven but then I got really sick of them - a really poor substitute.

Don't really have chips that often now but if we do then they are fresh deep fried.

I'm nearly always disappointed with shop bought chips: they smell great, and don't taste bad while you are eating them, but then I end up feeling sick.

There is one place not far from where I live that do really nice fish and chips but we only go there now and again.

Nothing will ever live up to Beatties Fish and Chips - in Bray Street, Belfast and also on the Shankill Road - that I remember from my childhood and youth.

The Beatties lived just across the street from us.

Last edited:
Nothing will ever live up to Beatties Fish and Chips - in Bray Street, Belfast and also on the Shankill Road - that I remember from my childhood and youth.

With the old wooden church pews seats.....Beaties were the best. And to top it off we had a smokie....you remember them Ham...:proud:

Back