Fan is constantly running

iain66

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi the fan on my tm800 is constantly running, the box is not enclosed in a tv unit but in the open. Its not hot or anything could I disconnect it and use a laptop cooler underneath or does anyone have any ideas

Thanks

the fan is wired in a way it does always run mate

Im sure someone wrote or was going to write a tut on how to re wire it

I see no reason not to use a laptop fan instead :)

from what I remember the fan was only added because of public asked for it, it was first released without a fan and said it was not needed, digi even wrapped it in bubble wrap and left it on and it didnt over heat

but thats upto you if you want to chance it over long periods :)

Last edited:
Thanks rat for the advice, its just getting on my nerves and once you know its there thats all I can hear lol

plugins are hit and miss I know but try to install temp fan control and turn the fan speed down a touch ?
maybe remove the lid and see if any dust may of built up around the fan :)

Well, given I know sweet FA about the TM800...

However, I do know about fans. If it's loud enough to be off-putting it's probably collected some dust - it doesn't take much. They can usually be stripped and cleaned like in this Youtube tut:

How to repair computer PSU fan - YouTube

I tend to use a light oil rather than Vaseline but the key thing is not to apply too much and ensure you remove all the dust.

The power connector is soldered to the HDD 12v power output on PSU.As Rat mentioned they will always be on. The fans become loud eventually.

Owing to size of fan, good quality replacements are dearer.I ended up soldering to 5v instead.

Last edited:
Back