extending wireless range ?

bro

Inactive User
Reaction score
my nepehew has problems with signal dropping and disconnecting in his bedroom,most other rooms in the house are ok,just had a quick look on wireless repeating,,,,the main router has that option but the belkin one doesnt,could i still do that,failing that i could go for them homeplugs that are in the bargain section

what the best option peeps or should i say cheapest lol

I bought one of these and set it to repeater mode. Job done and can be powered by a local USB point if you have one handy.

Before that I had an old Buffalo router flashed with Tomato doing pretty much the same thing. The TP link is very easy though.

Last edited:
cheapest and easiest home plugs

but whats the fun in that

if you can get ddwrt of tomato installed on firmware then either create a repeater bridge of wds - both work

I myself have done a repeater bridge to a sky adsl router so a sky digibox in another room can get internet access for the on demand stuff

one router has the repeater function,the belkin doesnt so am i good to go,or do i need to get ddwrt installed or go to the grocers for a tomato lol

appreciate all the replies and different options whatever way i choose,never needed to look into this until now,cheers peeps

You could also consider using home-plugs to cover the distance then another WAP at the far end giving a second wifi zone.

Get a couple of cheap net gear's and set them up using a bridge.

tut here

That way you'll also get a few extra Ethernet ports where ever you decide to put them. means plugging in an extra power source to them and an Ethernet from your existing router but if it's hidden then it won't look to bad.

Last edited by a moderator:
You could also consider using home-plugs to cover the distance then another WAP at the far end giving a second wifi zone.

took this option the reason being there was cheap homeplugs in the bargain basement and i had a pair he could use until his was delivered

thanks all

anything i need to do to the routers,is is randomly kicking one of the laptop of the internet

feck knows cant try at the mo,all i did was connect router one to homeplug,then upstairs connected router two by homplug which gave full signal upstairs

and wouldnt that disable wireless security

feck knows cant try at the mo,all i did was connect router one to homeplug,then upstairs connected router two by homplug which gave full signal upstairs

and wouldnt that disable wireless security

Nope, but if both are on the same SSID they could conflict ...

ahh thankyou kindly young sir,i will check when i am next round there ,weird though,on nephew has a playstation on wirless upstairs,its the other nephew on his wireless pc that drop connection now and again

ahh thankyou kindly young sir,i will check when i am next round there ,weird though,on nephew has a playstation on wirless upstairs,its the other nephew on his wireless pc that drop connection now and again

Wireless is easily disrupted, use different SSIDs and connect to whichever works best ;)

how do the homeplugs work? new to this but we just had an extention build and the basement converted , is there wiring or additional routers required,,, sorry if its a dunb question but im new to this

Home-plugs kind of work like mains modems. You plug them in to sockets and then plug an Ethernet lead in - they transfer Ethernet over the mains. One home-plug connects to, say, the router and the other to whatever you want to connect to the router.

Back