Extend wifi using 2nd router - need help

Stiofain

Inactive User
Reaction score
I have a netgear wireless N router in my house. It's ip addy is 10.0.01. I am trying to extend my wifi to my garage so I have used some home plugs to get connection there but now I want the homeplug to plug into a 2nd router (Cisco EPC 2425) out there. I would like the 2nd router to emit the same dhcp as the original router but I do not know if that is possible. I read something about using it as a bridge? Any help would be appreciated

You can disable the DHCP on second router. Make sure you use the IP address for the second one from same range. Also, you would need to plug in the LAN cable to the LAN ports instead of Wan port on second router.

Shani

I have a netgear wireless N router in my house. It's ip addy is 10.0.01. I am trying to extend my wifi to my garage so I have used some home plugs to get connection there but now I want the homeplug to plug into a 2nd router (Cisco EPC 2425) out there. I would like the 2nd router to emit the same dhcp as the original router but I do not know if that is possible. I read something about using it as a bridge? Any help would be appreciated

Not that familiar with that router M8 but even if it can do DHCP Relay (and it doesn't look like it) it's a little hard to explain. It might be easier to check the Netgear DHCP to find out how many addresses it hands out (they usually set a limit - like 10.0.0.10 to 10.0.0.99) which leaves addresses from 10.0.0.100 available for use. Then you can configure the Cisco to hand out DHCP addresses from 10.0.0.100 to (say) 10.0.0.199 and they'll both work independently of each other with no conflicts.

If the Netgear hands out the whole range just it reduce it a bit to accommodate your Cisco :)

May as well through something into the pot... You can get (probably a little late now but maybe you can take the homeplugs back) homeplugs which have the wireless repeater functionality built in. Might be worth considering these instead of having a homeplug which then plugs into a router to act as a wireless AP?

If both routers support wirelss bridging or WDS you can in effect configure one of them as a wireless repeater so in effect it's just a range extender. dont even need the homeplugs then, the 2 routers will communicate wirelessly with no cabling between them required.
If yuor routers dont support this feature as standard check if they can be upgraded to DD-WRT fimware or Tomato USB which may give you this functionality.

Back