epgfilter.xml

rodboy

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Hi,

I'm currently running Andromeda V2.

I set up an epgfilter.xml file and uploaded it to var/tuxbox/config/zapit. After rebooting the box all the channels included in the epgfilter.xml file were showing now and next only on the epg. So far so good.
I set the epg cache to 03 days, set long descriptions to 07 days and set the max events to 17500. I then tuned in to PVR_EPG channel for 5 minutes then turned back to Sly Sports but I'm only getting 7 hours epg !!!!! I was hoping for 2 - 3 days of epg info.
Have I missed a setting somewhere ???

Hi, Bob

I'm only a member of this site m8.

All the info I have so far on this subject is contained in threads on this site ( posts by Lincsat and PaphosAL to name but a few ) and also in PT-1s latest helpfile. The idea is that if you can save valuable dbox memory by limiting the epg on all the crap channels to now and next only you can then have extended epg info on all the channels you actually watch. As far as I'm concerned this is progress.

All the best.

UPDATE

I'm now getting 1 day on most channels and a little more on others !!

off to kip now

you also need the sectionsd by freedyfr0g to extend the amount of days epg you get

Also- how many channels total are there in your services.xml? How many in epgfilter.xml?

I have 256 total (all the dupes, DLs, ETS etc stripped out by manual edit). I have 135 channels in the filter, for Now 'n Next EPG only.

Leaving 121 channels for 7 Day EPG using FreddyFrog's sectionsd AND pzapit files.

I find that after a reboot and quarter of an hour in the stream, exactly 15 minutes on PVR_EPG collects the full 7 days. I achieve this on a daily basis, using a crafty set of timers during the wee hours.

I've found that not long enough in PVR_EPG only part loads the full load, but too long- and data for the 7th day starts to get truncated. Best bet is to experiment to find your optimal timing, in increments of 1 minute, rebooting between each test.

Oh, and the more channels you can get into the filter, the better!!

Cheers- AL :Cheers:

Thanks for the replies Renwich / AL.

To be honest I thought these files were already in the Andromeda V2 image, albeit experimental versions. Silly me !!

I have over 150 channels in my epgfilter.xml but, going by what AL says, I still need to strip down my services.xml. I'll do that next chance I get.

AL,

The stuff you mention about the time spent on the PVR_EPG channel seems a bit hit and miss, but you're obviously on a mission to find the optimum settings !! I look forward to you posting the results.

To conclude, where can I get the files necessary to give the longer epg ??

Thanks lads.

The default Andromeda files do give up to 3 days EPG, the experimental files will give you the full 7 days

Thanks for the reply lincsat.

I'll have a mess around later once the wife is out of sight. shes got the zapper at the moment and wont move 'till soccer saturday is finished !!!!!

cheers

@Rod- I've already established my optimum timing of 15 minutes a fortnight ago, LOL! What I'm saying, is that other peeps will probably find different works for them. It just depends on your individual ratio of Filtered / Non-Filtered, so testing is worthwhile.

If the upload works, I've attached the files you need. These include the Standby on/off files as FreddyFrog intended.

His modified sectionsd and pzapit are 141kb smaller than the originals, note- another benefit! You can overwrite pzapit ok via FTP, but sectionsd needs a Telnet session:

killall -9 sectionsd

Then exit from Telnet, overwrite the sectionsd file with the new one (both these files live in /bin)- then reboot.

I'll explain my cunning auto-Timer method of doing this seperately...

Cheers- AL

@AL - Thanks m8, you are a true gentleman !!

I've just trimmed my services.xml file down to 234 so this leaves me circa 80 channels that hopefully the extended epg will work on.

My only problem now is time ! I only have one box and her indoors is not for me meddling any more today ! ( I've kein systemed the box a few times already during my 'research and development' sessions, LOL ) I'm partying tonight anyway so might have a crack tomorrow evening.

Thanks again.

OK, m8. On the morro- try these settings in Miscellaneous:

EPG-Cache (Days) - 7
EPG Long Description (hours) - 8
EPG Remove after (hours) - 0
Max. Events - 24000

Once you find your best timing for PVR_EPG - let us know, then we look at automating the process.

Cheers- AL

OK, m8. On the morro- try these settings in Miscellaneous:

EPG-Cache (Days) - 7
EPG Long Description (hours) - 8
EPG Remove after (hours) - 0
Max. Events - 24000

Once you find your best timing for PVR_EPG - let us know, then we look at automating the process.

Cheers- AL

Thanks for the settings m8, I will keep you posted.

@AL - UPDATE.

Had a window of opportunity, so loaded up the files. After 9 minutes on the PVR_EPG channel I'm now getting 7 days epg on my unfiltered channels. WOW !!!

I'm signing off shortly but keep me posted on the timer automation.

Thanks again

OK- some more feedback from my extended testing of 7 Day EPG in 2 or 3 different images. It might provide some food for thought for any of you guys who are experimenting with this...

Firstly, I've found that using FreddyFrog's fiendishly clever method of auto switching to the PVR_EPG channel in Standby mode is too 'hit and miss' for me personally.

Reason: If you don't leave it in Standby long enough, it won't collect the full 7 days EPG for the channels NOT in your epgfilter file. Leave it in Standby too long, however- and data for the 7th day starts to get truncated for some unknown reason...

So I've disabled the FF sections in standby.off and standby.on so that my dbox no longer switches to PVR_EPG in Standby.

Instead, I'm now using a set of Daily Timers (set up under Blue > Yellow) - for this to load automatically. After a lot of trial and error, I found that 15 minutes was the optimal time for my setup to be in PVR_EPG.

Remember, I have 135 channels in the filter (for Now 'n Next EPG only), leaving me with a 110 channels for 7 Day EPG. So my settings in Miscellaneous are:
Days: 7
Hours: 8 (yes- 8 - not a typo!)
Keep: 0 (who needs to know what you've just missed?)
Events: 24000

If your filter/non-filter channel ratio is different to mine, you might need to fiddle with the 'Events' setting, AND try different durations in PVR_EPG to find your optimum timings. 15 mins might be too short or too long for you. Test in increments of 1 minute, but remember to reboot between each test, to clear the epg cache.

My Daily Timers:
T1- 05:00 Shutdown (This empties the current EPG Cache)
T2- 05:10 Zapto: bbc news 24 (See below)
T3- 05:15 Zapto: PVR_EPG (Full 7 Days EPG is loaded)
T4- 05:30 Zapto: SM Comedy (or any other channel)

What's the purpose of the T2 Timer, I hear you ask? Well, a Zapto out of Shutdown is not accurate, timing-wise. It seems to 'wake-up' to the zapto channel 2-3 minutes BEFORE the selected time for some reason. So if you try to wakeup directly to the PVR_EPG channel, it will overrun your desired time span.

Obviously, you can use whatever start time you like for this routine, to fit your lifestyle. Go for about half an hour before you normally climb out of your pit. (My lot actually starts at 07:00. LOL!)

All in all, I believe 7 Days EPG (in conjunction with epgfilter) to be the best delevopment on the dbox2 scene for a very long time. Especially when you consider that Freddy's sectionsd and pzapit are 141kb smaller than the originals too!!

Thanks again to FreddyFrog AND pt-1 !! Cheers- AL

AL,

Thanks for all your effort m8 and for sharing information. I'll have a go with the timers tonight.

All the best

nice work AL - serious testing there!!!

so, i'm guessing PVR_EPG is a usefull channel? i've dumped it into 'myservices' and set it to remove it. :( doesn't seem to do any harm - but i've not set 7 day epg stuff up yet - started work on a EPGFilter...

nice work AL - serious testing there!!!

so, i'm guessing PVR_EPG is a usefull channel? i've dumped it into 'myservices' and set it to remove it. :( doesn't seem to do any harm - but i've not set 7 day epg stuff up yet - started work on a EPGFilter...

Hi, MoS,

The easiest way to create your epgfilter.xml is to create a new bouquet using the remote control and the dbox functions, for the purpose of this exercise lets call the new bouquet 'crap'.
Dump all the crap channels in here then save on exit.
Open Metapad text editor then load in your bouquets.xml.
Delete everything exept the channels listed under 'crap'
Type <epgfilter is_whitelist="0" except_current_next="1"> at the start of your list.
type </epgfilter> at the end of your list.

Your file should look something like this :
<epgfilter is_whitelist="0" except_current_next="1">
<channel serviceID="03f5" name="The Biography Channel" tsid="0017" onid="f020"/>
<channel serviceID="0494" name="The Community Channel" tsid="0014" onid="f020"/>
<channel serviceID="04e1" name="The Hallmark Channel" tsid="0006" onid="f020"/>
<channel serviceID="0415" name="Trouble" tsid="0002" onid="f020"/>
</epgfilter>

Get as many files in here as possible !!!

Next thing to do is open your services.xml and strip it down to the bare bones, ie get rid of all the duplicates, dead channels, information channels, test channels, radio channels etc.

Reload your new services.xml and epgfilter.xml to var / tuxbox / config / zapit, reboot your box then follow the instructions decribed earlier by PaphosAL.

Cheers

To be perfectly honest AL, I'm not much of a radio ham !!

I'm working on the theory that less files in services.xml will mean less time on the PVR_EPG channel, however this is pure speculation on my part. You're on a 15 minute cycle with 135 channels needing the long epg while I am 8 / 9 minutes for around 80 channels.

Time to start testing the timers.

Cheers

Back