ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

i got told that even if you use there aerial to pick up the 4 basic channels as you can without a box then you are breaking the law but say i moved to a new house and thought that was the normal aerial on the roof as you say if they havent disconnected me then would i still be breaking the law they are clearly acting on there own risks and havent thought this out properly and will surely end up in the s**t soon and will probably be sold on to another company just have they have for the last 10 years i think there on there 4th ownership now since they first came out wionder how much longer they will remain virmin

Ignorance of the law is no defence mate , say I didnt know I was doing something illegal it doesn't mean I cant get nicked and charged for it and me saying I didn't know I was doing wrong isnt gonna get me off

but we are off the point here virmin is still breaking the law aswell they think coz we are breaking the law they can do it and get away with it coz they wont get reported like i said whats higher a company illegally hacking or a individual obatianing internet by theft

isn't that like me having an all electric run house and me stealing gas because i have a meter ? ....it's all theft no matter which way you look at it
if your not paying for it why should you be given an electric or gas feed but that's another matter as that's an infringement of your human rights tv phone and Internet is a luxury small fry compared to virgin

i have had the problem of electric i had a person come out to exchange the meter he said it was another key meter i said i thought i was having a quarrterly meter so he said well ill put it in then i since have had it installed over 8 months and still not had a bill i have had someone out to read meter and informed them of this he said the serial number didnt match and he would get it sorted still 1 monh has gone and nothing does this mean i will be liable for theft of my electric service then

i have had the problem of electric i had a person come out to exchange the meter he said it was another key meter i said i thought i was having a quarrterly meter so he said well ill put it in then i since have had it installed over 8 months and still not had a bill i have had someone out to read meter and informed them of this he said the serial number didnt match and he would get it sorted still 1 monh has gone and nothing does this mean i will be liable for theft of my electric service then
lol m8 as much as we all want to view are points and get em across we are going a bit off the issue in question lol lets knock it on the head and maybe start a new thread for this lol ;)

let me clear this up

your both right in one way or another let me explain

If the modem want the property of virmin

then yes the have committed criminal damage
but there is a defence to criminal damage
called lawfull excuse and virmin will be able to say they had lawfull excuse

but what you have all missed is they have all so breach the computer misuse act, by loginginto the modem

and as far as i remember there no lawful excuse defence to that.

but you can bet the cps ain't going to charge no one but you for cloneing

and wont touch vermin

let me clear this up

your both right in one way or another let me explain

If the modem want the property of virmin

then yes the have committed criminal damage
but there is a defence to criminal damage
called lawfull excuse and virmin will be able to say they had lawfull excuse

but what you have all missed is they have all so breach the computer misuse act, by loginginto the modem

and as far as i remember there no lawful excuse defence to that.

but you can bet the cps ain't going to charge no one but you for cloneing

and wont touch vermin
that's it then you not a lawyer or studding law by any chance lol

yes this is what i was trying to say hopefully someone will report virmin through the link i posted as this is the point i been trying to make however noone kept to the subject but i think that if they was found out by the ispa who regulates them and they are registered with them they will surely fine them or possibly prosecute em as this is a well known and meant to be professional company however it seems that mr pickle is just trying to show us he can hack things like us and that they havent fully thought things throught before doing so and if they had then i would like to think they wouldnt of done it but anyway were see what happens hopefully they will take action on him and give him a nice big fine as im starting to hate the bloke more and more as each day passes hope this clears this subject up

and did u also set the usb mac to be the nic mac + 1? was u using the normal firmware or stealth?

I did not change the USB mac and I was using normal firmware. I am now using my Ambit 200 modem, flashed with the 1.28 fw and upgraded to 13.5 stealth fw, which has come up with the Generic Host errors again which I kept getting Wednesday. I have not tried connecting the 250 to Hyperterminal but it would not connect to the network after a reboot of the PC or the modem. My 200 however is doing what it did before, when it gets disconnected from the network, it reconnects and carries on.

i am using a 200 at moment with 128 sigma on and have had no problems what so ever have you tried changing the password on it i know there isnt one but if you use the same command as the 250

cd \cm_hal
scan_stop
cd \non
cd msg
user_name *********
password *********
write

i done this last night and have been using all day on my 200 and have not had ne proba and also have been getting a better speed than the 250 aswell

I work in the utility industry and I can categorically tell you, you will get a bill! And it'll be high!
It's not theft, as you will receive a bill AND [importantly] you are authorised to use the service.

With VM, the cables may well be in your property, but you are not authorised to use the services without paying for them. If you did, that would be theft. Of course, if you called VM, told them you'd hooked up a modem and was using their services, they would have 2 choices -
1) Send the feds round
2) Start sending you bills
If they chose to do neither you could theoritically use their services [so long as you could prove you had informed VM of your use in a court of law], but they would still have the right to bill you at any time for any services used or send the feds if they chose!
Incidentally, it is illegal to connect equipment to cable or telecom network and not pay for that service, regardless of where you bought the equipment.
(eg If I buy phone from Japan, connect it to BT network and use service to make phone calls without paying for service...thats illegal)
Nuff said. :Kickassro
Oh, FWIW, if you are on a cloned modem and dumb enough to go that site and log a complaint - good luck to ya!

Last edited:
usb serial and usernam pass swapped on 2 modems after 1st day of hits. still got zapped.

i dont think they need to login atall. there sending data down there cable not via ethernet.

sounds like they finally found a way to distinguish betweeen 2 macs wich is real and which is aclone. if so its the end simple.

as for all these legal arguments its just silly your stealing end of story.
and there basically sending data down a cable they own.
if your ilegaly connected to that cable that aint there fault.
its not even an argument it a complete non starter. and is breaking up the thread for what its meant to be.

also contacting ambit is just down rite stupid sure they will give you info to undo what they have probably working on with virgin who i might add spend how many millions??

time to grow up i think and stop wasting peeps time reading this shite

usb serial and usernam pass swapped on 2 modems after 1st day of hits. still got zapped.
i dont think they need to login atall. there sending data down there cable not via ethernet.
sounds like they finally found a way to distinguish betweeen 2 macs wich is real and which is aclone. if so its the end simple.
as for all these legal arguments its just silly your stealing end of story.
and there basically sending data down a cable they own.
if your ilegaly connected to that cable that aint there fault.
its not even an argument it a complete non starter. and is breaking up the thread for what its meant to be.
also contacting ambit is just down rite stupid sure they will give you info to undo what they have probably working on with virgin who i might add spend how many millions??
time to grow up i think and stop wasting peeps time reading this shite

well i re-done tsop and slung stealth on and changed serial login/pass and usb mac and even took off the cm at the front of the serial and now its been on since without any probs what so ever 10mb full on 24/7

@ Hideki..

Hats off to you mate, it seems that your info is holding water, you were the first to bring this to our attention and you laid down some pretty decent ideas as to how it could be happening (some of them I've not 100% bought into, but good info none the less). My earlier posts were not intended as an attack at you directly, they were intended as more of a general 'yet another scaremongerer' type post, thankfully the info that you provided was pretty damn accurate and your warnings have helped many people prevent their 250's getting bricked, good on ye mate, great work.

I suppose I've been around too long and I'm getting jaded with all the people coming on and making claims, there's not a week goes by that we don't have a crackpot on here making these types of claim :)

Anyway, good info from a good bloke, I'm glad we've got someone like u on our side :)

@ Hideki..
Hats off to you mate, it seems that your info is holding water, you were the first to bring this to our attention and you laid down some pretty decent ideas as to how it could be happening (some of them I've not 100% bought into, but good info none the less). My earlier posts were not intended as an attack at you directly, they were intended as more of a general 'yet another scaremongerer' type post, thankfully the info that you provided was pretty damn accurate and your warnings have helped many people prevent their 250's getting bricked, good on ye mate, great work.
I suppose I've been around too long and I'm getting jaded with all the people coming on and making claims, there's not a week goes by that we don't have a crackpot on here making these types of claim :)
Anyway, good info from a good bloke, I'm glad we've got someone like u on our side :)
well said what can i say...

Hihi
@ Hideki..
[Snip!]
Aye, apologies for my somewhat over the top response too -.-

Wasn't in the best of moods anyway being 3 modems down etc. and tend to get a bit uptight when I think people are accusing me of bad research / lying -.-

Should follow the old fidonet rule of waiting 10 minutes before responding I guess, lol

Hihi
Aye, apologies for my somewhat over the top response too -.-
Wasn't in the best of moods anyway being 3 modems down etc. and tend to get a bit uptight when I think people are accusing me of bad research / lying -.-
Should follow the old fidonet rule of waiting 10 minutes before responding I guess, lol
a without you and alot of peeps on here and other forums have donea..
most would be lost or have nothing.
so chin up and remember we are all here to help like you have done 10 fold.
cheers.....

did any one who cloned there own mac suffer?

also.......

would it be better if we say all had 2mb... cloned it to 10mb etc......????

as would they not be so obvious bar to the fact the speed they were downloading?

just a thought......

my modem was fine, never turned it off..... or changed user name or password or serial.

but have done all that now :) but always have the 2mb in emergencies :) lol

however every one down the road sufferd :p lol

did any one who cloned there own mac suffer?
also.......
would it be better if we say all had 2mb... cloned it to 10mb etc......????
as would they not be so obvious bar to the fact the speed they were downloading?
just a thought......
my modem was fine, never turned it off..... or changed user name or password or serial.
but have done all that now :) but always have the 2mb in emergencies :) lol
however every one down the road sufferd :p lol

i am beginging to beleive that forcing a config is the top of the hit list and not firmware or stuff.

Hihi

I don't think the download speed is an issue

I lost three and although I had 80Mb that was more of a because I can thing, it's rare I used even a small fraction of that

I download perhaps 2GB/week, not much really, mostly it's just for the ims, irc, my mmorpgs (which use very little) and general web use yet three out of four went down

I'd guess they're just going through all the ips on each node and trying the techniques only hacked modems will be vulnerable to

Back