ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

Would updating my firmware to ambit250_upgrade_stealth_edition make a difference even though iv'e already changed the serial username & pass on the modem or is it not worth while?

hi

just a quick question my motorloa surfboard has just died i think the pc sync light keeps going on and off when i try to connect my pc to it the limited or no network caution light comes up on to little televisions the connectivity icons does this sound like my modem has been bricked just a question sorry and can it be sorted cheers can u let me know thanks

just a quick question my motorloa surfboard has just died i think the pc sync light keeps going on and off when i try to connect my pc to it the limited or no network caution light comes up on to little televisions the connectivity icons does this sound like my modem has been bricked just a question sorry and can it be sorted cheers can u let me know thanks
I think gentlex said that you can reflash the moto modems via blackcat cable (i think, correct me if im wrong) so i think you would just need to reflash it

is anyone willing to reflash it for me as i dont know how to as someone did it for me many thanks understand if you dont want to but worth a try

Would updating my firmware to ambit250_upgrade_stealth_edition make a difference even though iv'e already changed the serial username & pass on the modem or is it not worth while?

all the stealth does is stop access to snmp, which i think is where the serial can be found, but dont quote me on that.

so if u changed it, its pointless.

i have not changed my usb mac i have just changed to 00112233445566 and changed the serials and passwords all are ok at moment i only lost 3 with standard logins hopefully its just the logins the other thing is surely it is still illegal for virgin to be hacking the modems even if they are cloned as the software does not belong to them as it is not there own and somehow they must be liable to comebacks if the right people was to find out about this

i have not changed my usb mac i have just changed to 00112233445566 and changed the serials and passwords all are ok at moment i only lost 3 with standard logins hopefully its just the logins the other thing is surely it is still illegal for virgin to be hacking the modems even if they are cloned as the software does not belong to them as it is not there own and somehow they must be liable to comebacks if the right people was to find out about this

it is illegal, but who would go to the police and complain that vm are hacking your illegal cloned modem that your using to access vm's services illegally in the first place?

yes this is what im saying but there must be authorites to anonimously report what they are doing to as they should not be able to get away with this if they left us alone we would leave them alone but they dont learn so i think its time to start causing some trouble what is the most they can do if u did report em you would get done for theft of internet service not exactally a major crime is it i will possibly report this to the onbudsman or someone as i aint bothered and if anonoymus they will have to look into it and with all the stuff accross the net it wont be hard to prove

hmm my one 250 has been ok for a few days now no change of password or log-in also im in stoke.
what i did do with my modem was years ago i had a blue usb dongle thing as my Internet ran through a stb so i dug it out and plugged the ethernet cable in to that then in to my usb port found the old n*l set up disk and ran that for the drivers but what i did notice was the dongle thing has a mac on it
i don't know if this is of any relevance but hay im still up and running touchwood

i have just found alot of modems for sale and are all american ambits i take it these are the same to clone and also not virmins property so if i was to get one of these and leave as standard logins then they would be causeing criminal damage to my modem if they was to attack it this way they are easily open to prosecution

i have just found alot of modems for sale and are all american ambits i take it these are the same to clone and also not virmins property so if i was to get one of these and leave as standard logins then they would be causeing criminal damage to my modem if they was to attack it this way they are easily open to prosecution
yes and no
they would be causeing criminal damsge but on the other hand if your connecting a modem to there network or cables then you do so at your own risk as you havent subscribed for the service with the property your using....

i have found a link who virmin is registered to as part of the trading laws so they must be in breach of there contract now here is the link to the complaints page but if anyone does use this link and would like to complain about virmin then i would suggest using a proxy server to send the complaint so you dont have any comebacks yourselves http://www.ispa.org.uk/complaints/page_40.html hope its ok to post that link here many thanks mr d

yes and no
they would be causeing criminal damsge but on the other hand if your connecting a modem to there network or cables then you do so at your own risk as you havent subscribed for the service with the property your using....
so how would the law stand if you paid no subscription to virgin but its their wires are coming in to your property dose that not give you grounds to recuperate rental costs for there equipment been on your property i always wondered how that would stand up in court if it became a legal matter?

mmm that would be a good one perhaps i will call virgin tomorrow and ask them to come and unconnect there line from my house as it is no longer needed if they refuse or try and charge me would that mean i would be within my right to put what ever i like on that line as i have asked for it to be removed and they wont if so then maybe i will ask them for a monthly charge to keep there line installed in my property good idea like your thinking

they call it theft of service,you are not under any contract with the cc as you shoulnt have any service,its more likely that the case would be investigated and delt with case by case.
its just a matter of different services at each property,if you dont pay say the gas bill they could disconnect the meter say not make it so that it couldnt be reconnected.

but who is causeing the biggest crime at the moment does theft of internet come above illegally hacking and also causeing criminal damage if i was to buy an ambit from us and connect it to the line and they damage my modem they are causeing criminal damage

they call it theft of service,you are not under any contract with the cc as you shoulnt have any service,its more likely that the case would be investigated and delt with case by case.
its just a matter of different services at each property,if you dont pay say the gas bill they could disconnect the meter say not make it so that it couldnt be reconnected.
so doesn't that make it the fault of virgin for not disconnecting you an error on there behalf that would be oops sorry judge i for got to disconnect it hmmm

so how would the law stand if you paid no subscription to virgin but its their wires are coming in to your property dose that not give you grounds to recuperate rental costs for there equipment been on your property i always wondered how that would stand up in court if it became a legal matter?
isn't that like me having an all electric run house and me stealing gas because i have a meter in my house that the gas company installed ? ....it's all theft no matter which way you look at it

Last edited:
i got told that even if you use there aerial to pick up the 4 basic channels as you can without a box then you are breaking the law but say i moved to a new house and thought that was the normal aerial on the roof as you say if they havent disconnected me then would i still be breaking the law they are clearly acting on there own risks and havent thought this out properly and will surely end up in the s**t soon and will probably be sold on to another company just have they have for the last 10 years i think there on there 4th ownership now since they first came out wionder how much longer they will remain virmin

Back