ECM WARNING - Ambit 250 modems - Remote brickage!

Dont know whether this is connected but I had to remove the feed from my 250 today to reroute a cable and when i reconnected it wouldnt lock - i checked 192.168 etc and the downstream frequency had changed - i just changed it back to usual ntl 402750000 and alls good - just wondered if even though ive changed the uid/pwd they have been able to change this ? Obviously Im not too worried as its not bricked (thanks again for the early warning) but seemed a little strange?

I completely agree with Hideki here. Had it not been for his warnings then I am sure the modem bricking percentage would have gone up by at 1000%, and that's not a joke! I know for a fact, a friend of mine who had his modem bricked would've done another 250 with default user/pass.

Thanks again Hideki!

i concure.

it seems the mac's i have been using from different ubr's in my area are being flagged up on my UBR as sort of alien addresses and then having some sort of limit put on them hence the web content is so damn slow.

Hihi
You can still communicate with it
Hence it is not bricked, hence the user/pass chagne worked.

Some people only have themselves to blame, the original instructions for flashing your own modem tell you to change the username and password to stop the ISP's from bricking them, jeez it takes 2 minutes to do and still so many people havent bothered.

I feel sorry for the members who have discovered their 3 or 4 modems have been bricked - maybe their behaviour is the actual reason for Virgin actually starting to do something about clones?

Some people only have themselves to blame, the original instructions for flashing your own modem tell you to change the username and password to stop the ISP's from bricking them, jeez it takes 2 minutes to do and still so many people havent bothered.
I feel sorry for the members who have discovered their 3 or 4 modems have been bricked - maybe their behaviour is the actual reason for Virgin actually starting to do something about clones?

Im pretty sure we all are a little gutted that we never changed the login details - I guess most of us were happy to see the modem connected and working and just never really thought much more than that!!

I would also guess that most people with more than 1 modem dont actually have them all running at the same property - perhaps some have them linked for downloading from newsgroups but most will probably have done a modem for a couple of mates.

More than likely its the fact that infinite flashed 250's were being openly sold on ebay that was the turning point. Its one thing a few hobbyists cloning a modem or two but when people start being blatantly commercial selling on public auction sites then its a different kettle of fish!!!

i could not belive people was selling on ebay and listing saying this modem offers free internet all software will be included with everything you need and also giving links out to other sites where the info on modems is available

i could not belive people was selling on ebay and listing saying this modem offers free internet all software will be included with everything you need and also giving links out to other sites where the info on modems is available
well said mate !
there are some idiots around hell bent on making money and wrecking it for everyone

i am in the process of talking to ambit direct however they are trying to tell me they cannot give me any info as i am not a cable company perhaps i will try contacting an american cable company and see if they can give me some tech advice on the modems but i am working on it

well said mate, the instructions are quite clear, i change the user/pass on mine all the time, only reason 1 of mine bricked it was coz i was fooking about with the flash commands and accidently hit the power lead out LOL

yeah ive lost a few that the pass wasnt changed on...wish there was a way of fixing them.
lets look on the bright side tho at least we can learn from this and move on it is only a minor glitch.
if any one finds a way of reviving these bricked 250s please send me a pm i would be most grateful.

i am in the process of talking to a number of us cable companys and hope to find the way of doing this soon hopefuly i will be sucessful in this however i am not promiseing anything

Just got knocked aff again - this time without touching any cables etc.. Went into 192... and my down stream frequency has been changed yet again? Something new is happening here!!

looks like we are going to have to change the http passwords to something they cannot get into i suppose http is easier to bruteforce aswell so it could be possible they could use a dictionary attack on the http page even if we change apsswords anyone know how to change the http password

if it is the http passwords then we must be able to change and only have a few members do it so we can see if this works but my modems with tftp havent gone off yet and i have not had any problems atall and im in the south of hants if that helps maybe they havent tried doing it in my area yet

ok thanks if you read you would have seen everyone has tried it and i am unable to find anything out it seems they will be dead the only people who know at the moment is ambit thereselfs however they do not wish to share info but i will keep hassling them

i am in the process of talking to a number of us cable companys and hope to find the way of doing this soon hopefuly i will be sucessful in this however i am not promiseing anything

cant we lift the chip and reflash or replace? (im not an engineer so excuse my ignorance ;))

Back