DW800 (Kryptview PVR HD)

robbob1980

Good selection for a box pal

Wot I have heard is they are very good boxes and well suported as well

I wud defo reccomend @ krypt 2 anyone pal

Yeah I was looking at getting the eurovox hd box but glad I found this site first as the KV menus look better IMHO

Rob.

No kryptview boxes have an ethernet port.. As for the F type connection when I first saw the box I wondered why but then realised that the dw800 is just a shell for all countries and types of connections so it kind of makes sense to make a general all type connector.

I've compared the signal with the dw800 and a 750 and there is absolutely no negative deviance between connection types.

The file type that's made from the dw800 is .TS which is a transport streaming file (basically a mpeg-2) this file can be converted to mpeg or burnt to dvd with lots of software .. I prefer dvdsanta cos it's free and does the whole lot in one program. Yes .TS files can be played directly.. I recall VLC only does SD .TS files and I know Gom media player plays dw800 HD .TS files and I'm pretty sure there's more software out there that does. Not tried renaming the .TS to .mpg to see if that works.

Media Player Classic with the proper codec installed works fine.Good HD codecs are CoreAVC or Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.X. And Haali Media Splitter is good for HD .TS files too.

You can convert hd files to .TS and play them back though its along winded affair and not worth the effort esp' if you have an upscaling dvd/ps3 for files streamed or direct.

The site is just basically a front and contact link, it's there to say what the box is and not what it does.. It has no links or connections to anything considered shady or illegal and I gather that opening the site up more would invite unwanted attention as the whole site would just be about the scrambled side of the box.

I've been messing with this box now for a bit and I've had every other box on the market.. Taking into account that the firmware available is only 50% ready I've gotta say for a plug and play end user this box is the dogs bollocks. It's a no brainer box and for a trader it's sales without the hassle. There are a few basic ways of messing with it to add TP's ect' but this box is not for the tinkerers... Sadly it's just there for watching LOL. And this I can easily say without comeback that the SD PQ is great. I have a panny TX-42V10B and just allow the dw800 to de-interlace directly.. It's so good I don't have to switch on the upscaling on the panny!! The HD PQ is as good as VM transmit.. To be honest this has nothing to do with the box as the HD is as good if not better than other HD boxes on the market.. But VM are really dissapointing when it comes to HD.. The PQ is not a patch on freesat HD... That said it's still flippin great to watch espn HD on a decent hd tv.. In fact it's more than flippin great it's jaw dropping LOL.

I'm not going to go on about the bugs in the box as they're all down to the beta firmware and not the box.. I don't have any worries on this score because of the support kryptview have time and time again proved.. That they continue to work and develop on ALL boxes they provide firmware too. So I know for a fact that in a few more updates this firmware will rock!!

And now no more travelling back to your supplier or messing around with null modem cables... If you can dump a file onto a usb stick you can update your box as they say SIMPLES!!!

@ Rob

There are some people who wait thinking all this pleasure is going to end and it may not be worth it.. I still know people who thought that 5yr ago lol and are kicking themselves for the 5yrs of pleasure they've missed. My reckoning is if it lasts 6 months it's paid for itself.. SIMPLES!! If you had got one a year ago you would have had your moneys worth by now 4 times over... I'm informed there is not going to be a problem with supply and regular shipments will be arriving well before xmas.. It's more a problem of getting the firmware right in time for the public release of the box.. As these boxes are going to sell via word and mouth much more than any site can...

Regards.

Last edited:
No kryptview boxes have an ethernet port.. As for the F type connection when I first saw the box I wondered why but then realised that the dw800 is just a shell for all countries and types of connections so it kind of makes sense to make a general all type connector.

I've compared the signal with the dw800 and a 750 and there is absolutely no negative deviance between connection types.

The file type that's made from the dw800 is .TS which is a transport streaming file (basically a mpeg-2) this file can be converted to mpeg or burnt to dvd with lots of software .. I prefer dvdsanta cos it's free and does the whole lot in one program. Yes .TS files can be played directly.. I recall VLC only does SD .TS files and I know Gom media player plays dw800 HD .TS files and I'm pretty sure there's more software out there that does. Not tried renaming the .TS to .mpg to see if that works.

Media Player Classic with the proper codec installed works fine.Good HD codecs are CoreAVC or Cyberlink Powerdvd 7.X. And Haali Media Splitter is good for HD .TS files too.

You can convert hd files to .TS and play them back though its along winded affair and not worth the effort esp' if you have an upscaling dvd/ps3 for files streamed or direct.

The site is just basically a front and contact link, it's there to say what the box is and not what it does.. It has no links or connections to anything considered shady or illegal and I gather that opening the site up more would invite unwanted attention as the whole site would just be about the scrambled side of the box.

I've been messing with this box now for a bit and I've had every other box on the market.. Taking into account that the firmware available is only 50% ready I've gotta say for a plug and play end user this box is the dogs bollocks. It's a no brainer box and for a trader it's sales without the hassle. There are a few basic ways of messing with it to add TP's ect' but this box is not for the tinkerers... Sadly it's just there for watching LOL. And this I can easily say without comeback that the SD PQ is great. I have a panny TX-42V10B and just allow the dw800 to de-interlace directly.. It's so good I don't have to switch on the upscaling on the panny!! The HD PQ is as good as VM transmit.. To be honest this has nothing to do with the box as the HD is as good if not better than other HD boxes on the market.. But VM are really dissapointing when it comes to HD.. The PQ is not a patch on freesat HD... That said it's still flippin great to watch espn HD on a decent hd tv.. In fact it's more than flippin great it's jaw dropping LOL.

I'm not going to go on about the bugs in the box as they're all down to the beta firmware and not the box.. I don't have any worries on this score because of the support kryptview have time and time again proved.. That they continue to work and develop on ALL boxes they provide firmware too. So I know for a fact that in a few more updates this firmware will rock!!

And now no more travelling back to your supplier or messing around with null modem cables... If you can dump a file onto a usb stick you can update your box as they say SIMPLES!!!

@ Rob

There are some people who wait thinking all this pleasure is going to end and it may not be worth it.. I still know people who thought that 5yr ago lol and are kicking themselves for the 5yrs of pleasure they've missed. My reckoning is if it lasts 6 months it's paid for itself.. SIMPLES!! If you had got one a year ago you would have had your moneys worth by now 4 times over... I'm informed there is not going to be a problem with supply and regular shipments will be arriving well before xmas.. It's more a problem of getting the firmware right in time for the public release of the box.. As these boxes are going to sell via word and mouth much more than any site can...

Regards.

brilliant m8. i cant look anywhere else for my friends and family for an easier box. they should rename the KV boxes ronseal.

Great thread, def made my mind up to get a DW800 rather than the Eurovox 7000.

Now to find some stock..........

new_bi

I was planning on getting the EurovoxHD but this thread has sold me on the Kryptview!!

A few months on, is this still the box of choice for you guys? Just about to invest in one myself.

I personally like the box a lot! Although the dreambox has great skins the DW800HD records on fat32 formatted drives meaning I can transfer files quickly to my PC which is very handy... Tried doing the same on my dreambox but I cant get ext3 formatted drives to work on my XP machine.

EPG has been improved so thanks for that update... Also other small improvements to sleep timer etc... I am very happy with my box...

A few months on, is this still the box of choice for you guys? Just about to invest in one myself.
I've been reading a lot regards the Nagra 3 thing and not sure now - aren't you worried you're wasting your hard earned?

How likely (and soon) is that going to affect London?

I've been reading a lot regards the Nagra 3 thing and not sure now - aren't you worried you're wasting your hard earned?

Well from what I can gather and what I know to be possible although there is a lack of ethernet port the ability to turn the Com/Serial port into a ethernet port is an option and a good one at that (I would presume it's just like the Cisco console input which also ran ethernet to serial).

So whilst it may not defeat Nagra 3 it does however provide us with a solution (which I'm sure is on alot of peoples minds right now - more so if you live in leeds)

Are kryptview still supporting this box?

Well from what I can gather and what I know to be possible although there is a lack of ethernet port the ability to turn the Com/Serial port into a ethernet port is an option and a good one at that (I would presume it's just like the Cisco console input which also ran ethernet to serial).

So whilst it may not defeat Nagra 3 it does however provide us with a solution (which I'm sure is on alot of peoples minds right now - more so if you live in leeds)

Serial to ethernet is a rubbish option compared to "real ethernet", do you know how slow the baudrate on serial is ? It's definitely nowhere near 100meg Full Duplex that ethernet offers....not even anywhere near 10Meg half duplex...

" The standard 9-pin serial port can use many different transfer rates. It depends mainly on the hardware, usually a chip called a Uart (universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter.) The speeds start usually at 60 bps and can go to a maximum of 768000 bps. On older PCs the max was 9600 bps, and newer ones average 230,400 bps. "

For Cisco Serial input all that is for is to allow access to the terminal for text output input....

If you want CS, buy a box with a proper ethernet port...a better possibility if ethernet is not available is USB to ethernet adaptors, if the box has USB and driver support...

Serial to ethernet is a rubbish option compared to "real ethernet", do you know how slow the baudrate on serial is ? It's definitely nowhere near 100meg Full Duplex that ethernet offers....not even anywhere near 10Meg half duplex...

" The standard 9-pin serial port can use many different transfer rates. It depends mainly on the hardware, usually a chip called a Uart (universal asynchronous receiver/transmitter.) The speeds start usually at 60 bps and can go to a maximum of 768000 bps. On older PCs the max was 9600 bps, and newer ones average 230,400 bps. "

For Cisco Serial input all that is for is to allow access to the terminal for text output input....

If you want CS, buy a box with a proper ethernet port...a better possibility if ethernet is not available is USB to ethernet adaptors, if the box has USB and driver support...

I would actually disagree.

What protocol are you considering that would make a difference? C/S should not require much bandwidth at all. Considering size of the ECM (about 100 bytes) and the size of the reply (2 sets of control words are 16 bytes), and only changes every ~8 to 10 seconds.

So call it 150bytes, 6 times a minute = 900 bytes, less than 1kb a minute.

The protocol would need to have such massive overheads to be noticable on serial, usb or internal ethernet.

If you wanted to talk about something like streaming video then I would agree built in ethernet would be best.

Last edited:
Suppose for CS bandwidth wouldnt make a difference, be intresting to see how the ethernet - serial conversion is done though..
In Ciscos, theres no actual conversion taking place, the console port is not actually ethernet it's still serial presented on a RJ45 socket, using cisco propietary cable "rollover"...
I havent physically seen seen any actual conversion between 9 pin serial and ethernet...although a google does bring up devices for such a purpose.

Last edited:
Suppose for CS bandwidth wouldnt make a difference, be intresting to see how the ethernet - serial conversion is done though..
In Ciscos, theres no actual conversion taking place, the console port is not actually ethernet it's still serial presented on a RJ45 socket, using cisco propietary cable "rollover"...
I havent seen any actual conversion between 9 pin serial and ethernet...

I've seen it on the american market.

At a guess I would presume it be a simple wrapper to place the serial data into ethernet/ip data... and extract the data from the reply.

I've never seen the inside of one but I would guess some low end processor that simple acts as a converter, a LAN controller and maybe also something like a MAX232?

Other option is the processor handles all the ethernet related stuff and possibly a protocol simalar to a DreamBox one (CCCam, NewcamD, etc.) and there could be an entierly different protocol for the stb<->serial port comms to only exchange the required data (new ECM or new control words) when needed.

It would be interesting to see the american dongles.

Last edited:
So kryptview team might need to look into supporting such a dongle ...will they be intrested or would thay rather release a new box with onboard ethernet...

Back