Driveway help

fatspanner

Inactive User
Reaction score
Starting to dig out the front garden to place a driveway for the car. At the minute its just going to be hardcore with a stone top. Can someone advise me on how deep you should have the hardcore base? At the minute i've gone down around 9 inches but is this sufficient?

9 inches should be fine mate.
Father in law does this for a living and did mine.
That's about how deep we went.
We filled it with 3/4 inch "crush and run" which is stone hardcore.
You could always top off with gritsand and flag it or blockpave it in the future if you want.

No more diggin lol

Curly

9 inches is fine m8 just make sure you compact properly,and dont forget to put a layer of terram underneath Hardcore to prevent weeds..............

what sort of drive you going for?????

its my trade m8 depends on what the ground is like 6 to 9 " is well enough i would put a membraine down as well for weed control and this also acts to separate bad ground if its wet clay make sure you compact with a heavy duty whacker 2" of grit sand compacted then your block which is normaly 50mm =2" what blocks you going for anyway m8 : spook :

just remenber to warn your mates not to wheel-spin when they leave your house,
a friend had a gravel-topped drive and every few days he had to sweep the mound of stones that had collected against the wall back aross the driveway.

Still undecided on what top i'm using for it. What other options are there from slate and gravel?
I may go for green slate.

I will eventually get it block paved but the funds dont stretch to that as yet.

Back