Dreambox Picture breakup hints thread

Is picture breakup indicative of too much or too little signal? I don't think we've sussed that yet.

My dreambox failed to find about 10 out of 250 channels that were found by my Dbox2 so I guess I'll also be experimenting with attenuators and/or boosters.

Ive my cable going into the back of my dreambox no splitters but each channel freezes after a couple of mins do you think this is a image problem or a signal problem, the channels are nice and clear,

Thanks

The only way i got decent signal is to boost just before i plugged feed into dreambox.Since i did that no porbs whatsoever.Hope you get ok
cheers chrono1967

Stue1975 said:
Ive my cable going into the back of my dreambox no splitters but each channel freezes after a couple of mins do you think this is a image problem or a signal problem, the channels are nice and clear,

Thanks

Stue1975,

I had a similar problem with my subby box a year or so back, the lovely guys from *Hell came out and installed an attenuator and that seemed to sort the problem out.

You can pick up a pack of attenuators of flea bay for a couple of quid, a worthwhile investment if you ask me.

:)

I've stuck a 6db actuator on my Dreambox (form e-bay 99p for 2) and my picture breakup problems seem to be cured

Thanks for the tips!

I dont get it with that Argos booster? a Cable wire wouldnt even fit in that booster, would need some adaptors/converters no doubt from maplins ?

Typing in actuator lol think thats the wrong spelling doing quick search on ebay see these

eBay.co.uk: sky tv/cable/ntl two in to one splitter and attenuators (item 140030074227 end time 26-Sep-06 18:28:03 BST)

eBay.co.uk: VIRTUAL VARIABLE ATTENUATOR KIT, F TO COAX PLUG ADAPTOR (item 250028093094 end time 21-Sep-06 08:07:30 BST)

DIFFERENT ATTENUATION VALUES

3dB, 6dB, 10dB, 20dB

IDEAL FOR REDUCING SIGNAL STRENGTH WHERE IT IS TOO HIGH AND IS CAUSING LINES ON TV PICTURES, USUALLY LIKE A HERRINGBONE PATTERN, ALSO GOOD FOR REDUCING FREEVIEW SIGNALS IF THEY ARE TOO STRONG.(NOTE FREEVIEW PICTURES CAN FREEZE IF THE SIGNAL IS TOO LOW OR EXCESSIVELY HIGH SO PLEASE CHECK FIRST).

hope that helps.... proberly pick up a booster/adaptors and that ATTENUATOR from maplins ;)

I'm using Wiggys Enigma image on my dreambox and just lately I'm experiencing pixelating and tinny sound but usually only when watching Sky Sports ,I've been reading through this thread and I'm slightly confused, do I need to try a booster then an attenuator if that doesnt work or should I try an attenuator first , or is it just pot luck

Buy a attenuator off flea bay, if you can get a, 4db, 6db and 10db as a mix then do it, then try each one.

If that makes it worst with any of the above in line then buy a booster from argos, and try that way.

i've just installed a variable booster from argos, and i`m still getting pixelation and the speach is very slow, when the booster is turned down it gets noticably worse, tried different images, changed camds and tried attenuators its the same whatever i do
I have read elsewhere that it could be the box that is the problem and should be sent back, which may be the case as when neutrino is installed, the speach is very slow when the box is booting up

has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

Last edited:
sounds like a box fault to me. speech usually breaks up rather than going slow with a signal problem.

So my guess is send it back but maybe try it at someone else's house because it could be a weak signal into your house.

An amplifier only amplifies what's there and if there is alot of noise on the cable you get that as well.... amplified!

have you tried another image mate, ive been using flubber the last week and ive noticed that im also getting some pic break ups and audio out of sync on some chnls. I reflashed with 2.7 and the sync prob was gone, but ive gone back to flubber and gona try some other cams to see if that solve the prob. Give another cam a shot and another image, wiggies is excellent if you dont need recording

have you tried another image mate, ive been using flubber the last week and ive noticed that im also getting some pic break ups and audio out of sync on some chnls. I reflashed with 2.7 and the sync prob was gone, but ive gone back to flubber and gona try some other cams to see if that solve the prob. Give another cam a shot and another image, wiggies is excellent if you dont need recording

Yes
Tried gemini 3.10, 2.9, neutrino and wiggys enigma, like i say its not just on the channels its also happening when i boot up the box with the neutrino img and it tries to give some information

i've just installed a variable booster from argos, and i`m still getting pixelation and the speach is very slow, when the booster is turned down it gets noticably worse, tried different images, changed camds and tried attenuators its the same whatever i do
I have read elsewhere that it could be the box that is the problem and should be sent back, which may be the case as when neutrino is installed, the speach is very slow when the box is booting up

has anyone else experienced this kind of problem?

ok guys, for futue ref. from what i`ve found it seems that its a box problem, my box is going back

Oh Boll*** !

Got a nice booster from Argos for 9 quid and plugged it all in and then went to put it back to the Dreambox and well its a female not a male output !

wtf lol

Everyones mentioned on this board to get a Booster from Argos yet no ones mentioned you still need to buy another adaptor to convert from female co-axial to male co-axial so it can actually connect to the Dreambox ! :Chainsaw:

You guys are terrible ;) :Cheers:

Need to check now if Maplins got a female to female co-axial cable or some female to female adaptor!

The booster that everyone recommends is the £3.99 one, not one at £9. Maybe that's why it's different. If it is the same it does seem strange that someone hasn't mentioned it before.

Just like to update all, its true if a booster dont help u out and you still experience blankscreens/picture breakups and pixelation then ebay got some attenuators for sale for £3-5 quid.

Worked for me, tried the 6db along with my argos booster (7.99 one made by slipex, but yeah u can get the £3.99 one posted above.

My channels appear instead of seeing blank screens and just the EPG/programm info... and theres no picture freezing/breakups/pixels.

Bit of a shame the Dreambox requires the booster/attenuator but small price to pay really.

Just like to update all, its true if a booster dont help u out and you still experience blankscreens/picture breakups and pixelation then ebay got some attenuators for sale for £3-5 quid.

Worked for me, tried the 6db along with my argos booster (7.99 one made by slipex, but yeah u can get the £3.99 one posted above.

My channels appear instead of seeing blank screens and just the EPG/programm info... and theres no picture freezing/breakups/pixels.

Bit of a shame the Dreambox requires the booster/attenuator but small price to pay really.

The one you bought has a variable gain so not sure why you need a 20db booster then a -6db attenuator you may as well turn the 20db gain down to 14db and be done with it ?. but if it works for you and your getting a picture now then it has to be good.

@devilfish yes boosters do need a double male but it is an industry standard which is why I don't think it has been mentioned before.

On a side note I don't have a dreambox, just poked my head in from the dbox section to have a read as I am considering one.

Have Fun

Back