Dreambox Picture breakup hints thread

sijones

Inactive User
Reaction score
As i posted in the feedback of liam's uk02, i thought i would start this thread which people can give input on...

Just a hint for people getting picture break up.

I found the signal was too strong, i hve to drop my signal by 10db for every channel to work perfect.

I currently use 2 splitters (-3db) and a 4db signal attenuator to get things ok...

Yet a dbox on the same cable doesn't need any signal drop.

So have a play with dropping the strenght first.... dreambox's seem more sensitive.

Interesting.....the cables companies use them, so it makes sense......i think also we need to get an idea of what channels people are getting...am i right to say that if you get telewest in england you recieve the same channells, disregarding obvious regional differences, ie, channels like discovery will be universal throughout the uk, we should be able to build up a picture of hard to get channels.

Hi guys am back after trying a few things...am running out of what to do with the missing channels..sorry being a asian the family cant go with out the dramas lol.. anyway this is what i done so far and not worked..

I have a 3 way splitter that takes a dbox, eurovox2 and modem all works perfect but after removing the eurovox2 for the dreambox I get pixelating picture on ARY and no channels just blank screen on Zee Tv & Zee Cinema. This also affects a few others Sentanta 2. Using UK02 by da way. did a scan the same issue but Zee channels not picked up at all. Tried the Gemini image with brute force same problem.

Converted my dbox service same issue. Then took box to another house with just direct feed got ARY working which was pixelating before and Zee TV came on but pixelating slightly no Zee cinema though...so I guess that concludes its a signal issue that does not affect any other box but does the dreambox...do you think this mean I need booster for it to run on the splitter or an antenuator to decrease signal not sure..

If you get a booster from argos (theyre about £7) then you can test it out - if it doesnt work then you can take it back for a full refund under their 14 day money back guarantee plan ;)

If after trying the booster you find that it doesnt work, then go for an attenuator... a signal that is too strong is just as bad as a signal that is too weak :)

DBOX2 and Eurovox seem to be a bit more tolerant of signal levels.
Liam

Would like to add additional input to this thread.

The camd thats being used can also affect picture breakups.
If you experience picture breakups or stuttering/channel errors then trying changing the camd to something else, i.e. Newcamd, Evocamd, MGCamd.
Some work better than others for picture quality; some are just faster than others.

Liam
P.S I will make this thread a sticky :)

i have split mine three way one for the broadband , one for the dbox2 and one for the dream box but its does not affect any my my picture quality and all my channels seems to be working fine. by the way i am using uk02 and evocam.

Cheers liam will be trying to change cams if no look then will invest in a booster i think that will be the issue more then a atenuator..will feed back if i manage to resolve the issue.

Kyser143 said:
Cheers liam will be trying to change cams if no look then will invest in a booster i think that will be the issue more then a atenuator..will feed back if i manage to resolve the issue.

booster works with transponder 19
i had a same problem and i just add a booster from argos £7.99 (single tv booster).
cut and past your old dbox service file into dreambox file. or rescan all.
:Cheers: : mr ed :

cheers for the info tosh..so that answers the problem I have with the same transponder...I am still puzzelled about the Zee channels..anyway went to argos and they run out of the boosters lol bet its all those guys going to dreambox who got there before me..will try again in a few days.

tosh2004 said:
cut and past your old dbox service file into dreambox file. or rescan all.

Or just put your dbox service file onto the dreambox and watch it without doing anything (only applies to Neutrino.DREAM UK02) ;)
Liam

Guys got the signal booster and still not a happy chappy. I have Zee cinema which was a black screen before but its very pixelated and so are a couple of other channels all in all very dissapointed with the dreambox and going to try one last thing...at the my other house I have a 3 way splitter am going to disconnect and use the main feed if that dont work then expect a dreambox for sale on ebay lol

Just a couple of quick questions; it could be something really simple!

1. Where on the feed have you placed the booster?
2. Do you subscribe to a Digital TV package or just broadband? (or neither??)
and 3, what image are you using?

Liam

Liam

I have to cable connection points must be splitter at box on side of house i guess..the booster is connected on the feed that i am using downstairs the other feed is not used at the same time.
I subscribe to all 3 packages eg phone, broadband and basic package.
am using the uk02 image by the way seems fine on most channels just a couple that I have a problem with. Might check outside see if i can see any splitters being used..unless you can suggest anything else.

Liam

I have to cable connection points must be splitter at box on side of house i guess..the booster is connected on the feed that i am using downstairs the other feed is not used at the same time.
I subscribe to all 3 packages eg phone, broadband and basic package.
am using the uk02 image by the way seems fine on most channels just a couple that I have a problem with. Might check outside see if i can see any splitters being used..unless you can suggest anything else.

It may help if we knew what signal level is best to use. There's a page in the cable modem config that says your current signal to noise ratio which could be a good indicator, I guess the level going to the dreambox would be the same as to the modem

There will be a box on the front of your house where the cable comes in from the street and enters your home... If you open up this box then you'll probably find a 6db attenuator inside; simply remove that and join the wires up as normal. This solves alot of problems. Best to do it at night tho as if somebody spots you doing it during the day they'll think you're up to something.
Liam

well back when i used the pace boxes (not modified)
the box would often freeze at long time
so we called the cable man they fitted a ACTUATOR
this has happed so many time iv got a couple
and they come with different resistance
-5Db -10Db -16Db... etc
i dug them up from an old box and the seemed to fix it!

BTW i dont know actuators ,but im preety sure they reduce the signal strength
or similar

and for people whos never seen one theyre small similar to a two way splitter (without the extra output)

did this work for any one...........?

There will be a box on the front of your house where the cable comes in from the street and enters your home... If you open up this box then you'll probably find a 6db attenuator inside; simply remove that and join the wires up as normal. This solves alot of problems. Best to do it at night tho as if somebody spots you doing it during the day they'll think you're up to something. ... did this work for any one...........? ok ilooked heres what i saw looked inside my outside box it has a 3 way 3.5 dbs attenuatar splitter connecting the feed to the house, this goes to my tv in the bedroom and into the cable in the front room, the one i was adviced to get wat the Triax 348003 5-2 400 mhz 3 way splitter, that is the one i am using inside the house, would it be worth while me taking the splitter off in the box outside the house and replacing it with the 2nd one mentioned

Last edited:
hi guys
reading this thread i,ve got a little confused(not hard).
Having problems with picture breakup/freezing with dream (dbox perfect) ,at the top of thread it says by using attenuators to drop signal by 10 db to get working picture yet you are talking about removing attenuators from feed.
Is there a way to check signal strength and what is perfect signal (if there is) for dreambox.
cheers chrono1967

Back