dm500 with motor

mine is ancient mesh dish m8
have you done any of the following?

Set Long and Lat for your area?
set elevation? - i adjusted that and thats how i got picture
or even
cut all the little bits of wire off the end of each piece of ariel so that co- axel is nice and neat??

(don't do the last 1!!) i did that and you end up with shit signal!!

yes i have set long & lat for my postcode
yes i have set the elevation
no not cut the wire off the coax i have done loads before i was into the cable tv thing for years
just cant get any type of signal at all and not sure what to do next

mine is ancient mesh dish m8
have you done any of the following?

Set Long and Lat for your area?
set elevation? - i adjusted that and thats how i got picture
or even
cut all the little bits of wire off the end of each piece of ariel so that co- axel is nice and neat??

(don't do the last 1!!) i did that and you end up with shit signal!!

No bother, was into cable before too but struggled along with my first dish with the help of JTH.

what about replacing the lnb on your old sky dish onto the new one,
i drilled the single lnb off the old dish and put a quad one on which works a treat

my elevation is also not quite where it should be, i had the wife at the tv while i tapped elevation up and down slightly till sig rocketed

No bother, was into cable before too but struggled along with my first dish with the help of JTH.

what about replacing the lnb on your old sky dish onto the new one,
i drilled the single lnb off the old dish and put a quad one on which works a treat

my elevation is also not quite where it should be, i had the wife at the tv while i tapped elevation up and down slightly till sig rocketed

i have put a brand new lnb on this dish i dont want to take the lnb off my old sky dish its the only tv we have! the mrs is all ready pi$$ed with me and my dish lol the only thing left to replace is the dish itself, i have taken the motor off to try and get a sig static but my sat finder does not find anything just one constant tone and the needle stays at no 5 where i set it

I don't think thats your problem mate you should be able to get 28 and 13 on an old dusbin lid, I think you need to go back to the draing board your dish would need to be really really beaten up to be missing a signal on those sats.

I don't think thats your problem mate you should be able to get 28 and 13 on an old dusbin lid, I think you need to go back to the draing board your dish would need to be really really beaten up to be missing a signal on those sats.

any suggestions on where to start would be welcome as i have renewed the cable and f plugs had brand new lnb i have a brand new motor but have taken that off to sort a signal first, when i connect my sat finder and set it to no 5 it does not move up of down however much i move the dish.
the satfinder went right up to 9 when i used it to setup my old sky dish on 28

Ok start with the basics get you dish on the pole pointing south, then a surprising amount of people miss this but first thing you do is drive the motor to 1 west obviously if you havent scanned channels in download one then re input your lattitude longitude. Example of my settings would be longitude 4.562 west by lattitude 54.923 north make sure it's west and north. Ok so we're on the pole lat and long are in and you've selected a channel from 1 west preferabley bbc news the dish should more or less be vertical for now straight up and down forget what the scale on the side says and your motor should be set to your lattitude. Now move the motor around the pole to see if you can peak a signal on 1 west once you have that everything should fall into place hope this helps at least a bit mate.

Ok start with the basics get you dish on the pole pointing south, then a surprising amount of people miss this but first thing you do is drive the motor to 1 west obviously if you havent scanned channels in download one then re input your lattitude longitude. Example of my settings would be longitude 4.562 west by lattitude 54.923 north make sure it's west and north. Ok so we're on the pole lat and long are in and you've selected a channel from 1 west preferabley bbc news the dish should more or less be vertical for now straight up and down forget what the scale on the side says and your motor should be set to your lattitude. Now move the motor around the pole to see if you can peak a signal on 1 west once you have that everything should fall into place hope this helps at least a bit mate.

hi mate thanks for the advise i have been all through this and it doesn't work i can not get a signal in fact i can not get a signal with the dish static.
i have been back to the begining with it so many times as i said the only thing not brand new is my old mesh dish.
Can anyone suggest where i might buy a new dish please!!!!!!!!!!!!

Last edited:
Ok mate fair play I got this one HERE Not the real triax dish but I can't see any differenct between it and my real triax dish so that's my recommendation ;)

ok quick update i have now got a brand new 80cm dish and still no signal pi$$ed off big time now!! i was told today that the dreambox 500s might have problems running my motor? the psu does get very hot when messing with the motor have i bought a bag of shite? this is makin fookin hard work of getting a few poxy FTA channels

it cant be your box if your getting a signal from a static sky dish mate...

i dont understand why i cant get a signal from this motor setup nothing not a peep :swearing:

i know what your saying but i have double checked everything and i dont get anything on my satfinder just one constant tone how ever i move the dish something is deffo wrong but i dont see it. just a thought does the lenth of my cable have any bearing on signal as the motor setup is twice as far away as my old sky dish

wouldnt stop you getting any signal... maybe weaken it at most... does the motor move when using the box to move it...

coax is ok then and motor is good... can only be alignment

just read through the post... you say you set elevation.. did you try adjusting this slightly while trying to align the dish... the scale on the side isnt always spot on and may need a little movement... leave the bolts slightly loose while trying to align, and move up and down as well as sideways...

Back