Desire HD

Penners

Inactive User
Reaction score
I received my Desire HD yesterday on pre-order. All goes well except after an hour the phone starts to randomly turn itself off this progressively gets worse as the night goes on to a stage where it just boots then turns off lol

Only apps I installed was adeo file manager & task manager oh and Angry Birds(very bloody addictive)

Thought it maybe the task manager software so I did a full software reset

holding down volume key and power button then selecting factory reset.

Did this 3 times as phone was still turning off after reset also removed mmc card and reset again.

This time it’s stayed on 20mins so far.

My question is should I contact phones 4u and request a replacement or do you think it was the software I installed and hopefully all will be fine ?

If I leave it today and problem starts again 2moro I'll have to send off for repair which is up to 2weeks. Whereas today I have the right to cancel and just get a new one.

What do you guys think?

Seeing as you've not installed much i'd get a new one, better than waiting 2 weeks for repair, If the same happens again then send it away.

I agree with you mate, the thing is tho its not turning off at all now after the 3rd master reset and has been on for over an hour now.

I really do think it was associated to the Task Manager app.

I'm going to play with it for another couple of hours and see if the problem re-occurs.

Fingers crossed it won't as I can't be bothered calling customer services lol

if it stays on mate then fine keep it, but if it goes off in the next few hours get it sent back no question.

if it stays on mate then fine keep it, but if it goes off in the next few hours get it sent back no question.

It turned off again last :-(

Called phones4u technical support line who advised me to do a factory reset rather than the software reset.

Did that last night at about 6pm and all is good so far. I have 28 days to get back to them if the problem re-occurs they will then send out a new replacement.

Hopefully phone will stay stable as I've started to customise it now.

Love the phone tho just hope it stays stable.

Well the thing has turned off again (twice today)

Going to ring them again tonight and arrange delivery of replacement.

It turned off in my pocket. Also crashed during a call, screen went blank load speaker turned off. I could still talk but when I finished the call screen was completely dead and wouldn't respond to any buttons including power button. I had to remove battery to reset.

I’m a bit miffed as really can't be bothered switching the phone especially after I've personalised the heck out of it today.

After researching a little I see that this problem of un-explained shutdowns was common with the original desire. Have they learned their lesson or is it me installing apps lol

Although this time I have specifically not installed any task manager/battery saving tools etc.. Just some games and Astro file manager.

But I've configured my screens shortcuts bookmarks everything.

Can I backup my profile so when the new phone comes I can just drop it back down etc.. or is it just contacts / messages etc.. ?

Its a real shame as I think the phone is absolutely fantastic (albeit I'm still in the honey moon period lol)

At first the size of the phone is a shock but its surprisingly non obtrusive in a trouser pocket where as my Sony Ericson Satio created a rather large bulge :)

I'll update once I've been back in contact with phones4u.

Called them this morning.

Phones4u have provided me with a reference number which I can use at any phones4u store to replace my handset.

I'd just like to say Phones4u support was surprisingly very good. Each time I have called I've been transferred to an operator straight away no long queues etc

The wife is shopping today which is handy as she's going to swap my phone. Shame I'm working but hey you can't have everything :)

I just hope that this is not the reason why Google delayed HTC from releasing the Desire HD.

I take it all back phones4u customer service is crap!!

As advised by the lady at phone4u. Yes sir no problem sir just take your phone to any of our stores provide the following reference and we'll swap it for a new one.

Wife goes to phones4u store only to be told since I purchased online, it has to be sent off and once in receipt they'll send a new one as the internet company is separate to stores.

Anyway cut a long story short I called phones4u played hell, told him to cancel the contract as my wife was now standing outside carephone warehouse as I'm not prepared to wait up to 2 weeks to have a new handset sent out as they have to have possession of the faulty one prior to release (what’s happened to the system where the posty dropped you a replacement and you handed over the faulty in ONE transaction) I told them their policies are farcical and I wished to cancel.

I got transferred to a manger who offered me a £90 check to compensate for my hardship of being without my beloved handset for a week or 2.

I swallowed my pride and accepted :proud: effectively its 2 months line rental for free or 1.5 if you take out the 2 weeks maximum I could be without my handset.

So back to the Sony Ericson Satio :-( for now anyway.

One thing I did manage to glean is that there have been a few instances of the HTC Desire HD already being replaced at stores due to the same fault.

Not the best mate but i hope they can resolve this as quickly as possible for you.

I know the £90 weakened the blow but to be honest I can see this as being a re-occurring issue with the HD version. Must admit I love call recording they use the excuse it’s for training purposes but aren’t too keen when you request a playback of the conversation that ended up sending my wife on a wild goose chase. Play them at their own game cheeky feckers.

Store owner told my wife they'd had 5 back in 2 days.

Would love to know if other manufacturers running 2.2, have similar issues. I.E is it the OS itself or is the problem hardware or firmware related.

Not enough info on the net at the moment to ascertain any real links.

did you get your replacement phone ok?
ive just got my desire hd a few days back and had to reset it twice, but the phone hasnt rebooted or had any problems you have explained here, infact ive also customised the hell out of it and the resets were not needed as i found out after the second time.
for anyone that gets a dhd DONT DO A SOFTWARE UPDATE OVER THE AIR.
do it only with wifi, it gives you the option to use wifi or 3g / hspda but always turns of the 3g radio for some strange reason - and wont turn it back on until its updated, as the radio is off it cant update - pretty stupid bug, as i was at work i had no access to wifi and had to reset.

all in all im am well over the moon with my new dhd, it knocks the socks off any ipod, the machine is fast and feels very well built, even with the massive 4.3" screen its not actually that big.
the only real downside is the battery life atm is poor, but this is suppose to improove in time.

Re :
audiobookman;.[/QUOTE said:
Hi Audiobookman

Yeah the new replacement arrived took 2 weeks in total :-(

Not had the problem since with the new handset installed loads of apps etc.. so hoping I was just unlucky with the first one.

Love the phone tho, live wallpapers are cool :)

In regards to the software update over 3g I did this the other day 18.4mb download :) when i pressed accept i thought hmmmm i wonder if that’s a silly thing to do over 3g/HSDPA lol but anyway downloaded it in the background only took maybe 5-6 mins and installed correctly (thank god) but your right it’s not advisable especially if your 3G/HSDPA connection is flaky (which my area usually is lol)

P.S my battery usually drops below 15% at about 10pm, So I just get a day out of each charge that’s with weatherbug also running constantly in the background :) I've noticed some live wallpapers that make use of the accelerometer (or whatever it’s called:) can really drain battery life.

Also if you use the SAT nav that’s a major drain on the old juice.

All in all a great phone (so far...)

if ur phone gets all rebooty again take the battery and sd card out give them a wipe and put them back in my desire my desire kept powering off once and it turned out the sd card wasnt quite in properly!

if ur phone gets all rebooty again take the battery and sd card out give them a wipe and put them back in my desire my desire kept powering off once and it turned out the sd card wasnt quite in properly!

Thanks for the tip, certainly worth a try if happens again. Beats waiting 2 weeks for a replacement :)

excellent pleased you got it back and it does sound like it was a dud one originally,
ive already removed a lot of the sense bits and bobs like friend feed, the weather ive left in place as its very nice.
im still unable to get that length of time playback, but i did noticed today after watching an episode of statgate universe that the battery had only dropped down to 89% so it looks like its nearly conditioned.
my main use for the machine is audible which the machine runs very well, infact its flawless on the dhd - i was using it on the milestone before hand and it was buggy as hell, but im sure that down to the software version on that phone.

live wallpapers really zap the power, i gave up on them on 2.1 as i noticed the amount they hog the battery, they may look nice but having a phone is a bit more important.

the htc sence hub is pretty impressive, having the ablity to lock the phone remotely, wipe, or receive a txt msg to another number if another sim is entered with gps location is something that i think is priceless.

im waiting for the mugen battery to become avalible - they are quoting 1800mha with no new battery door needed.

on anther note, does anyone know what the terminals do under the battery door and the simcard / sd card door, i cant see what the do and the phone still operates as normal with them removed.

cheers

I managed to bag myself an upgrade for the desire HD for £80 :)

any pointers or advice on what I should do when I get the phone tommorow apprecaited

Thanks

Skinz

Not really sure I guess I will write back once I start to use the phone and see it properly :)

Thanks anyways for the reply

turn on usb debugging, my phone has locked up a number of times - well not locked up as such but int. goes off on one and runs constantly at 72% heating the phone up and consuming the battery.
usb debugging seems to fix it

Back