Dell Laptop Issue

yehnoon

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hi

I wonder if someone can help me. I have a Dell Laptop which was used for work so it had all sorts of security installed like McAfee Encryption etc.

I got a new one so I can use the old one for personal. I wanted to give it to my nephew but I was unable to remove encryption. I took the HDD out and using another laptop, formatted it and installed Windows 7 on it. It is working perfect if I use it with that laptop. However, when I connect it back to the Dell Laptop, it does not work.

My guess is I need some kind of BIOS Password (I am not sure),what am i missing here? Any ideas/help will be highly appreciated.

Thanks

It should have a permissions setting if you try to access the HDD, is it powering up when you plug it in, perhaps it is a hardware issue?

The reason you cannot use the old HDD is because its encrypted using mcafee encryption. There is a reason for that, because there is sensitive data on it. You need to contact your works local IT. If they were happy to give it out, im sure they would be happy to remove encryption for you and make sure any sensitive data has been deleted.

EDIT: just re-re read your post. is it asking for a mcafee password or a dell bios password?

The reason you cannot use the old HDD is because its encrypted using mcafee encryption. There is a reason for that, because there is sensitive data on it. You need to contact your works local IT. If they were happy to give it out, im sure they would be happy to remove encryption for you and make sure any sensitive data has been deleted.

EDIT: just re-re read your post. is it asking for a mcafee password or a dell bios password?

No I even tried the other HDD with Win XP installed to check if that works or not but it does not go forward after initial boot.

The old HDD is formatted so it has no data on it, McAfee Encryption removed as well as it does not ask any password any more.

It boots and message is shown as Windows Loading Files and then it opens up Startup Repair Window and message says "It can not repair the computer automatically" and it restarts and comes back to same window.

If I try a Win7 bootable cd in the drive it asks me if I want

Windows Setup (EMS Enabled) or
X64 Recovery Mode (EMS Enabled).

Tried both options but no luck.

Any idea what should I do?

Thanks

The reason it fails to boot is because you need to install windows from the laptop as the correct files/drivers for chipset an things are not installed so fails to boot format
Try reinstall from DVD format had and fresh install what is error your getting for not installing from that laptop

The reason it fails to boot is because you need to install windows from the laptop as the correct files/drivers for chipset an things are not installed so fails to boot format
Try reinstall from DVD format had and fresh install what is error your getting for not installing from that laptop

I thought same mate but it is not allowing me to install when I use Win7 DVD in that laptop. I guess I just need to take it to a shop and they will fix it for me.

Thanks

before you go spending your hard earned cash, What error do you get mate?

Here is the detail. the HDD is formatted. I boot the PC using Win 7 DVD and it gets in to the setup. I tried to install Win7 Home Premium, it does start installation well.

Copying Windows File 100% All goes well within a second.
Expanding Windows File, it stops there after couple of minutes with progress bar at 0% and gives the error message as below:

Windows can not install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Error Code: 0x80070017

I understand that this may be due to the DVD missing some files but if I use the same DVD on other PC with same HDD, it does install fine.

Any idea what can be wrong here?

Why won't it let you install it what does it say where does it fail on installing

Copying Windows File 100% All goes well within a second.
Expanding Windows File, it stops there after couple of minutes with progress bar at 0% and gives the error message as below:

Windows can not install required files. The file may be corrupt or missing. Error Code: 0x80070017

I understand that this may be due to the DVD missing some files but if I use the same DVD on other PC with same HDD, it does install fine.

Any idea what can be wrong?

This could be a memory problem, take out your memory sticks and replace one by one, if it happens again you know what you have to do, replace the memory stick that is faulty. :)

if this disk worked fine on anther pc then my 1st guess would be the dvd is on it way out

if this is a home copy of a disk try and make a new one as some dvd drive just do not like some types of media

will this laptop boot from usb if so ,USB Windows 7 Installation Key Drive - Create - Windows 7 Help Forums

if not get a cheap external dvd drive ,2.0 EXTERNAL USB DVD CD R-RW COMBO DRIVE (DVD READER CD WRITER/BURNER/COPIER) | eBay

Hi

I got it working somehow so its all good now, I can use Win7 on it.

However, another problem is there now, I did make a partition so I kept Win7 on C Drive and kept D for anything else like movies, pictures etc. When I am in My Computer, I can only see C Drive but no D Drive.

How do I get my D Drive back ?

Thanks

Hi

I got it working somehow so its all good now, I can use Win7 on it.

However, another problem is there now, I did make a partition so I kept Win7 on C Drive and kept D for anything else like movies, pictures etc. When I am in My Computer, I can only see C Drive but no D Drive.

How do I get my D Drive back ?

Thanks

Ignore my Question, I sorted that out as well. Thanks

You should of made a partition when you setup the drive, however you can use Disk Management :)

I found this on another site as it was quite allot to type out:

################
To create a new partition on your hard drive:
  1. Click the Start button.
  2. Select Control Panel.
  3. View your system options:
    • In XP, click the Performance and Maintenance link.
    • In Vista, click the System and Maintenance link.
    • In 7, click the System and Security link.
  4. Click the Administrative Tools link.
  5. Double-click the Computer Management icon.Note: In Windows Vista, click the Continue button.
  6. In the left pane, if not already expanded, double-click Storage.
  7. In the left pane, select Disk Management.
  8. In the lower right pane, to the right of the disk on which you want to allocate space, right-click the unlabeled black bar.
  9. Create a partition.Note: In XP, follow these additional steps:
    • In XP, from the drop-down list, select New Partition....
    • In Vista/7, from the drop-down list, select New Simple Volume....
    1. Click Next.
    2. Select the type of partition you want to create.
  10. Click Next.
  11. Specify the size of the partition you want to create.
    • In XP, in the Partition Size in MB: spin box, type the size you want for the partition you are creating.
    • In Vista/7, in the Simple Volume Size in MB: spin box, type the size you want for the partition you are creating.
  12. Click Next.
  13. Select the appropriate radio button for the option you want for assigning a drive letter to the partition.
  14. Click Next.
  15. Select the appropriate radio button for the option to format or to not format your partition.
  16. Click Next.
  17. Click Finish.
################

Good Luck :)

Last edited:
Back