Dell Inspiron LCD Vertical Lines Issue

Seedy_r0m

Elite Member
Reaction score
Let's move before they raise the parking rate.
Guys,

This problem affects Inspiron 9200, 9300, & XPS Gen II Notebooks.

Over a period of time, vertical, pixel-wide lines start to form on the screen.
These can be various colours, and can manifest themselves in either solid, or flickering lines.

This affects 17" LCD panels shipped between November 2004 through to October 2006.

My 17" WUXGA LCD had 27 vertical lines. I though I was bang out of luck as my warranty had expired a year ago.
I found the Direct2Dell site which highlights the problem & explains how to get the faulty panel replaced.

I wrote to Dell and left it a week, but received bog all reply. So I decided to call The Indian helpdesk.

To be fair, the guys went through the standard troubleshooting steps.
I explained that I used to work with Dell & that I'm a DCSE and had already been through the steps prior to calling.

Was asked to uninstall & reinstall drivers as it could be a corrupt driver.
No point, as the vertical lines were showing outwith the operating system and can be seen in the BIOS.

Had I removed & reseated the LCD ribbon cable?
Of course I had.

When an external monitor is used what happens?
The fault stays with the Notebook screen & external monitor is OK.

After going through all this, I was then informed that due to the 9300 being out of warranty, they would take it away & send me a quote for a replacement.
I let them know that this is a known issue affecting models shipped between Nov 94 & Oct 96 and seemed to happen to 17" displays on the Inspiron 9200, 9300 & XPS Gen II's

After waiting for 5 minutes while he consulted his manager, he cam back and said that they would perform a one-time replacement outwith the warranty as a goodwill gesture.

RESULT!!!

The only fly in the ointment was that the notebook would be couriered to Dell, have the LCD panel replaced & the shipped back.

I said that I would be happy to fit the unit myself, as I used to strip them down in the lab when I worked for Dell, this would save the expense and time involved with sending the unit over for one of their techs to do the same as what I would do.

Another 5 minutes speaking to his supervisor and it was agreed that they would give me a WUD (Whole Unit Dispatch).

Within 2 days, the panel was swapped out & fitted, and now I have a perfect screen again.

If any of you guys have a dodgy display on any of the above models, it might be worth calling Dell to have it swapped out.

You may not get away with stripping it right down to the panel, but you do stand a chance of getting a new screen.

If you need any help in stripping it down gimme a shout.

Cheers.

(Admin/Mods
I posted this in the General chat section for max visibility, if you feel it's better in the PC section, feel free to move it)

Back