Dboxes only showing FTA in Glasgow

Even with working keys, Ive been told the box's are only lasting 10mins then going off again! I think Virgin are using the same method as sky!

I dont think thats the case,
You see when Diamond Cable first setup the cable tv in the uk they actually brought the technology from Germany (thats why german boxes work on the same system) this included the encryption method which really cant be changed without replacing the infrastructure completely.
However SKY created their system from the ground up with all the updates being controlled via software (SKY can pinpoint individual subscribers using the system from what i have heard) the encryption as well as the keys can be changed on the fly with very little (if any) downtime.

I may be wrong but i think they have tweeked the encryption slightly to change the odd byte here and there..

As i was typing this my box went off again.. damn

lol. i have gone back to my Virgin box for now.

I will wait till the dust settles and one of the clever bods sorts a new image with keys.

lol. i have gone back to my Virgin box for now.

I will wait till the dust settles and one of the clever bods sorts a new image with keys.

Thats a thought i wonder if my old gerrold analogue box will still work for now ???
will try after work LOL
I gonna but me a starview 3 super box...they all unaffected )

Hi mate, was every single digit the same? On one of the ones I done there was a 5 instead of a 4 and on the other one for some reason there was a c instead of a 6. The third one was all over the place, I had to modify both keys on that one.

THANK YOU BLOCKHEAD after hours of fighting with the box i finally got the right keys in you were right the keys u gave did work
only 1 key was different from the ones u gave me to the ones that were on the box already

I think we've just had another keyroll in Leics, keys from 11.30am today are no longer working, 3hrs, blimey!

I have built up a rather large bookmark list of dbox2 forums, this is where im getting my keys from although i have tried several different keys before finding a working one.

Sadly there doesn't seem to be a more perminant fix in the pipeline at the moment.

The way i understand what is happening is this....

the way the boxes work is on emulating the subbed card that usually slot in the front of a normal subbed box.
These emulators are the many cams (i mentioned the top 4 above)
the cards have almost the same encryption code on them and the key is renewed when you pay your subscription, as the box's are usually connected to the phone line too the keys will be generated correctly providing your subscription is paid.
However the cams we use in the box's are perminantly validated (until recently that is) seems the encryption code has been tweeked slightly by the CC so the decryption algorythm is slightly wrong (seems to be one byte)
Although im no programmer im thinking what MAY lead to a possible solution is if people somehow post their UNTOUCHED box generated keys and then the keys that work for them and repeat this every time the keys roll (seems to be at least once a day so far) this way we can TRY and figure out what bytes are being changed and then try and create something to correct this on the fly)

As i said this is the way i see it, im NOT a programmer so i may be barking up the wrong tree but it seems logical.

Sounds logical to me, too. Unless it's far more complicated than we realise (the algo) it should be possible to calculate what a working key would be from a non-working update if we can find the constant(s) from the comparison you suggest. Problem is, are there ANY working keys now? The ones posted on ExtraCp don't work any longer (for me). We need a mathematician on the case............

sadly im not that good and reverse engineering but im glad someone else is thinking the same way.

anyone got the latest keys for nthell, seems like the keys have rolled again. ive tried the new 01 keys but that isnt working.

Thats a thought i wonder if my old gerrold analogue box will still work for now ???
will try after work LOL
I gonna but me a starview 3 super box...they all unaffected )

I would not be in a rush for a starview, they will be after them next week.

TBH it wont be long before whatever a starview is doing right is copied onto dbox's

Last edited:
Seems that dbox is back up and running in lanarkshire without any modification.

3:12pm wed 9th april

XDbox2

Did you change any keys or stop the auto update in any way?

Just lost the dboxin lanarkshire after 5hrs..

Hmm just been looking through the keys i have saved..

As an experiment as my box is off at the mo i decided to delete my keylist.txt completely, rebooted and flicked trough some channels, most FTA were working, some not.

Opened FlashFXP and i had a keylist file again... on checking it had generated a key that is the same as one i had YESTERDAY... strange.

I have tried all the others i have cataloged but none work yet...

I encourage everyone to backup the keylists they have and note when they were working it may lead to a solution in the future.

XDbox2

Did you change any keys or stop the auto update in any way?

Just lost the dboxin lanarkshire after 5hrs..

Nothing changed in the box at all, I was on my way home from work when a friend foned to say his box had suddenly came back on. I'l pop into his house this evening and see what image he's using.

Girlfriend also just foned to let me know her box has started working again too.

Copied an old keys folder back onto Dbox Back up and running in Bolton

Sorry guys, the both boxes came on for 10 minutes and are now off again :(

I altered my keys last night and again this morning to suit the new keychange..

I only had:-

N 5C01 01 **************** ;ROM7 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 00:15:22 2008
N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM11 AU Key Time Tue Apr 8 23:13:03 2008

In my keylist.txt file this morning...I have disabled the "write" properties on the file and enabled the "read" and "execute" as prompted earlier in the thread. But....

I now have:-

N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM10 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 15:31:17 2008
N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM10 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 15:31:05 2008
N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM7 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 15:30:57 2008
N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM7 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 15:30:45 2008
N 5C01 01 **************** ;ROM7 AU Key Time Wed Apr 9 00:15:22 2008
N 5C01 00 **************** ;ROM11 AU Key Time Tue Apr 8 23:13:03 2008

And its just gone of this second! (The B******s!)

Back