Cyclists I Hate You!!!!!

Dont think there is a law against undertaking specifically, unless you can point me to a new one? perhaps you might get done for dangerous driving if your speeding doing it or were in the outside lane and pulled in but otherwise it's fair game, the OP was saying he was being illegally undertaken by bikes when he was at traffic lights, meaning they should be staying wherever they end up in the queue cos he dont want to overtake them again.

undertaking is illegal unless someone is turning off right

if i have to queue behind traffic i damnwell think a bike should, they are just being impatient

No it isnt, if i am in the inside lane doing the speed limit of 70 mph on a dual carriageway and some tool is doing 60 in the outside lane no way do i have to slow down for him or pull out and harass him to move in, as for them just being impatient well what are you being, how hard is it to move out in a car and overtake them, uses about 4 muscles.

think you need to read your highway code, what you explained is technically undertaking but isnt policed

if both of you where in far outside lane and he was going 60 and you where going 70, YOU ARE NOT allowed to undertake him, you can be pulled over and done for this

@g3o I dont care about the main arguement, but feel it right to point out that Plexo is correct in a way.
Undertaking is against the law and is included in the highway code. Its not a new law, certainly 25 years+ its been illegal to undertake on uk roads (likely longer than that).
----however, it IS legal to undertake in slow or stopped traffic conditions. Bikes undertake when vehicles are stationary/slow, therefore totally legal.

From Highway code:

Overtaking

Do not overtake unless you are sure it is safe and legal to do so. Overtake only on the right. You should

* check your mirrors
* take time to judge the speeds correctly
* make sure that the lane you will be joining is sufficiently clear ahead and behind
* take a quick sideways glance into the blind spot area to verify the position of a vehicle that may have disappeared from your view in the mirror
* remember that traffic may be coming up behind you very quickly. Check all your mirrors carefully. Look out for motorcyclists. When it is safe to do so, signal in plenty of time, then move out
* ensure you do not cut in on the vehicle you have overtaken
* be especially careful at night and in poor visibility when it is harder to judge speed and distance

Do not overtake on the left or move to a lane on your left to overtake. In congested conditions, where adjacent lanes of traffic are moving at similar speeds, traffic in left-hand lanes may sometimes be moving faster than traffic to the right. In these conditions you may keep up with the traffic in your lane even if this means passing traffic in the lane to your right. Do not weave in and out of lanes to overtake.

think you need to read your highway code, what you explained is technically undertaking but isnt policed

if both of you where in far outside lane and he was going 60 and you where going 70, YOU ARE NOT allowed to undertake him, you can be pulled over and done for this

Cant you read?? i said if i was in the inside lane and they were in the outside lane

Plexo said he was overtaking cyclists as close as he could cos he was being illegally undertaken, i said that's a load of crap, if he overtakes them then they catch up cos he is stuck in traffic or at lights it aint illegal to go to the front, i wont even call it undertaking now cos it plainly isn't.
As i said in my last post you cant be in the outside lane and pull in or speed to undertake as this is dangerous driving and this is what you will likely be prosecuted for.
There is plenty of google info on this, plenty of folks who have talked to coppers about it, there isn't a law and it's down to interpretation of who sees you doing whatever, jm aware it's in the highway code, just like allowing cyclists plenty of room to pass.
Just to be clear again, Plexo thinks bikes going past him on the left when he is stopped is illegal i say it's not, simple.

Undertaking isn't illegal in a car so i'm guessing it's the same for a bike.
I think everyone here can read, no matter how angry you get.
...there isn't a law and it's down to interpretation of who sees you doing whatever...

Its a shame g3o because you are correct that it is not illegal to undertake traffic whilst on a bike, I just wanted to correct you about your view on our road law before you gain points on your licence (or someone you wrongly educate). Either way, I'll let you guys get on with your arguing in here.

where did i said i was overtaking them as close as i could? surely that is dangerous?

no matter how many times you say it, pink helmets already said i was wrong, and i stand corrected.

all in all majority of people hates cyclists, you cant deny that

I cycle to work everyday, and on my way back home is always very busy traffic. So I go by the path so I don't hold the traffic up, but the police stopped me a couple of times and asked me to get off the path, and I asked them "so you rather me hold up the traffic than go peacefully by the path" and the answer was "yes" ... I don't get that.

That is one of my pet hates, adults cycling on the footpath. You can understand little kids doing it and that's grand, but the path is meant for pedestrians!

That is one of my pet hates, adults cycling on the footpath. You can understand little kids doing it and that's grand, but the path is meant for pedestrians!

its not like I am going nuts down the path m8...its just this 1 mile or so where I don't want to hold up the traffic...it has been suggested to the council before to have a cycle lane there as it is dangerous for bikes there.

I appreciate that, but the fact is the path is for pedestrians, you have old people, blind people, people with small children, people with impaired mobility, why should they have to look out for bikes on the footpath?

What doesn't seem fast to you can seem very fast to someone that's walking.

I appreciate that, but the fact is the path is for pedestrians, you have old people, blind people, people with small children, people with impaired mobility, why should they have to look out for bikes on the footpath?

What doesn't seem fast to you can seem very fast to someone that's walking.

fair enough...

I think everyone here can read, no matter how angry you get.

Its a shame g3o because you are correct that it is not illegal to undertake traffic whilst on a bike, I just wanted to correct you about your view on our road law before you gain points on your licence (or someone you wrongly educate). Either way, I'll let you guys get on with your arguing in here.

Im not angry, just amazed is all.
look undertaking isn't illegal, if you are behind a car in 2 lanes of traffic and you pull out to overtake on the inside above the speed limit this is DANGEROUS DRIVING and will be treated as such, if you are in 2 lanes of traffic and the guy in front is doing 60 and it's a 70 you are well within your right to pull in, advance to the speed limit and give that tool the finger, there is no undertaking law to break, when i said undertaking in a car wasn't illegal i was using plex0's situation where bikes on the left lane are passing static on the right (even tho his car and the bikes are in the same lane) so again i will say this isn't illegal i do it regularly and i have no need to worry about points on my license for it, should i feel the need to speed past on the inside lane at 90 on the motorway i'm well aware it's dangerous driving or no due care and attention, so show me the undertaking is illegal law a link so i can read it will be fine, highway code is not law.

where did i said i was overtaking them as close as i could? surely that is dangerous?

no matter how many times you say it, pink helmets already said i was wrong, and i stand corrected.

all in all majority of people hates cyclists, you cant deny that

Apologies i misread it as you passing them close not staying close to the pavement to stop them repassing you (dont know what stops them going on the outside tho)

I dont have a problem with most cyclists as most of them know they are the ones likely to die so behave as they should, living in the city you deal with them daily and 90% of the time they are as quick or quicker than me anyway, my GF cycles every day and i hear plenty of stories of idiots who are only going to be happy when they knock her or someone else over all so they can turn left 1.2 secs earlier or get to the traffic lights only so she can make people like you irate by undertaking them and sitting at the front, we have bike bays at the lights at the front giving them priority and you can imagine not so many people like this.

I've heard, mate-of-a-mate style, of a cyclist being given 3 points for doing over 30mph. I've also read 3rd hand accounts of people being banned from driving for "cycling under the influence".

Haven't rode for about 8 years. However, being older and (slightly) wiser, if I was to give the bike a service and take it out on the road I would fully expect to a fine and receive points on my driving licence if found to have riden in a manor falling foul of the law, e.g. ignoring red lights, cycling without bell/lights at night.

Currently, vehicles that don't legally require a licence plate (i.e. bicycles, mobility scooters etc) do not need to pay "road tax" nor have insurance. (I know the previous Labour government said they were going to look into legislating mobility scooters after one rider killed a pedestrian.) As previously mentioned they would fall into the zero VED rate under the current system anyway. However, from what I'm aware of, it's council tax that pays for the bulk of the local road maintainance these days. VED instead goes into the big pot of "general taxation" that, in part, pays for the highways agency, DVLA etc.

Obviously feel free to correct me on any of this...

Last edited:
if you are on the motorway, on far outside lane, someone is doing 60 infront, its illegal for you to go into the inside lane to undertake him, you seem to think this is illegal, i have heard of people getting a good bollocking for it and google says on tv traffic cops gave someone a nice prize for it, im sure if i looked further i would see people getting points for it.

if you are on the motorway, on far outside lane, someone is doing 60 infront, its illegal for you to go into the inside lane to undertake him...

It's illegal "by proxy". In that it could be used as evidence for a careless or dangerous driving case but isn't mentioned as a specific offence, or at least this was the case in 2004:

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, overtaking on the inside is against the law. Significant stretches of our motorways are under surveillance. The driver of a vehicle who deliberately comes up behind another vehicle in a middle or outside lane and then swerves inside to overtake could easily be charged with careless driving.

Lord Elton: My Lords, will the noble Lord kindly write to me—he will not have the information at his fingertips—to say when it was made illegal to overtake on the inside? Many of us have been saying that it should be made illegal but were told that it would not be done.

Lord Davies of Oldham: My Lords, the actual manoeuvre of one vehicle going past another in the inside lane because there might be a slow-down in the outside lane, and the inside lane is continuing to move, is not illegal. Deliberately setting out to pass a vehicle by moving from one lane to another to go inside it and to go past leaves open the possibility that such a manoeuvre appears to be careless driving, and it could be subject to such a charge.​
Source: Lords Hansard text for 9 Feb 2004 (240209-03)

Last edited:
there is a club round here that thinks if it puts a piece of A4 paper in a hedge they can close the road for there own litle race,where they can cheerfully lide 4 abrest on both sides of the road.last week i nearly hit a group that suddenly turned right in front of me,no signal of intent,when i pulled them up about it i only got a mouthful of abuse,also on there little race the use a dual carrigeway ,do you think they use the newly laid cycle track that cost many thousands of pounds,no they cycle on the carigeway yes in both lanes.
one day soon i can see the headlines maniac car driver mows down twenty cylists, me i will go out and have a pint and a chuckle. one up for our side

Back