connecting to plex from outside lan

Magnu420

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
ok guys i been messing around with plex and now tv box
got it working superb on my lan,but how do i access from outside
my lan,i just want to experiment in trying from a differant location ie at my dads house
i was thinking of taking the tv box down to his house,connecting it to his net

you will need plex running on your PC at home and other PC at his house with plex on and u would have to join plex on both and share to his plex login name to see your films . nothing will work at his house without connected to plex m8 on a PC

Sent from my iPhone 5

You'll need to port forward in your router the port that plex server is setup to use (32400 off memory) to the pc which plex is on. After that it depends on what client you are using.

Consider security as well - you should get a strong password in place

If it's what I think you'll need to:

1 - set up dyndns to point to Dad's public address
2 - give the TV box a static IP address on Dad's network
3 - forward port 32400 TCP/UDP on Dad's router to the static IP on the TV box

If I'm off on a tangent then some more details please :)

cheers for the replies,i should have made it a bit clearer
i got plex server running 24/7 on my pc,i was gonna take tv box down to dads house
get it connected to his net,then figure out on how to connect to plex server (my house)
then watch tv box if you understand ??

but it sounds like i need to do what HH says or simaler

forgot to add do you need to register at plex site

Last edited:
cheers for the replies,i should have made it a bit clearer
i got plex server running 24/7 on my pc,i was gonna take tv box down to dads house
get it connected to his net,then figure out on how to connect to plex server (my house)
then watch tv box if you understand ??

but it sounds like i need to do what HH says or simaler

forgot to add do you need to register at plex site

Just follow what hoponbaby said but consider using a DNS account for your own IP address as it will change from time to time,

Bear in mind your upload speed will have an effect on the quality of the connection between the now TV box and your home PC :)

Just follow what hoponbaby said but consider using a DNS account for your own IP address as it will change from time to time,

Bear in mind your upload speed will have an effect on the quality of the connection between the now TV box and your home PC :)

i got a no-ip host at servebeer.com will that do

as for quality connection im not bothered atm as its just a experiment to see
if its works and to see if its viable

i got a no-ip host at servebeer.com will that do

as for quality connection im not bothered atm as its just a experiment to see
if its works and to see if its viable

Yes that's fine,so port forward the plex port to your servers IP,then you should be able to connect from outside like so:

Magnu420.servebeer.com:port number

ive been running a plex server for over a year now, i use a 2012 ivybridge mini mac attached to my 12tb mirrored nas (running 24-7).
if you like the software i strongly advise that you get the lifelong membership plan, they are talking about stopping it soon.
The premium allows you to sync to other devices. i have currently 3 google tvs at home (along with various android phones and tabs), and another google tv around my inlaws house. When they try to stream now from my server it always fails - this started to happen when virmin put in the data caps, beforehand it was fine. so now they sync what they want to watch and then watch it later once it finished transcoding and uploaded.

just been looking in to this and for the life of me ,i can not work out how to put a password and user name on to plex

fine not having one on my home network but was thinking of letting my sister use it from outside my home network ,has to be a way just need to read more

my daughter uses hers in another house from mine . she made her own log in and l added her to my shares simples .

Sent from my iPhone 5

my daughter uses hers in another house from mine . she made her own log in and l added her to my shares simples .

Sent from my iPhone 5

i take it you have yours installed on a windows pc ? as i am unsure how you would do that with a ubuntu server

Yes that's fine,so port forward the plex port to your servers IP,then you should be able to connect from outside like so:

Magnu420.servebeer.com:port number

I have been trying to do this all weekend with no luck.

Have got a DNS account with Dyndns, plex is set up on my Zyxel NSA221 nas drive on 24/7, have port forward the right ports & they are open, have set up a plex account but still no go.

How would I set up DNS, calisto100.dyndns.info:32400?

If yes how do I get DNS to look at port number on Super Hub?

Thanks

Last edited:
I have been trying to do this all weekend with no luck.

Have got a DNS account with Dyndns, plex is set up on my Zyxel NSA221 nas drive on 24/7, have port forward the right ports & they are open, have set up a plex account but still no go.

How would I set up DNS, calisto100.dyndns.info:32400?

If yes how do I get DNS to look at port number on Super Hub?

Thanks

If you dns account is setup and port number 32400 points to your plex server correctly then it should work m8 tbh

If you dns account is setup and port number 32400 points to your plex server correctly then it should work m8 tbh

Thanks all working now, it does help in MyPlex to say connect to server, DOH!!!

Further on now.

Have now got myself a HP Micro-server now with 2gb ram, trying to share stuff with a few friends outside of LAN, sd works fine but 720hd buffers, am on virmin 60mb down but only 3mb up, would this be reason why or could it be because only 2gb of ram?

Thanks
Calisto

I would say it is the upload speed m8 tbh

Sent from my 1080P-N003 using Tapatalk

Back