Sensible Topic Computers face global slowdown due to chip flaw

ohh crap just got a second one,think i might cover it in tin foil to keep hidden:(

It does do something for me..shows a Big Fanny Head..Pointing straight at you...HNY

having only used xp it was a big jump and not having a clue and still finding my way around,on the + side i now have my sound system with twin sub and 5-1 sounds playing cds and playing you tube video without stuttering .

Detection tool told me my system is vulnerable.

Detection tool told me my system is not vulnerable :)

detection tool said mine was vulnerable, but now it says it is NOT Vulnerable after i just up dated the update from Asus for my motherboard, which was issued in November last year ;)

patched.jpg

Detection tool told me my system is not vulnerable :)
Same here though I felt mine would be vulnerable. (4.00 gigahertz Intel Core i7-4790K)
I think this tool is intended for some other use and not the kernel flaw

Ive got rizen cpu so does that mean were not affected 🤔

Unless you're running win 10 and have today updated to Windows 10 Build 16299.192 (KB4056892) then you aren't secure.

I am running Windows 10 pro version 1709 16299.125 Microsoft recommended
Windows updater said my system is fully up to date.
What version is yours.

Downloaded the update from windows catalog and installed manually. Thanks @chookey

Last edited:
I am running Windows 10 pro version 1709 16299.125 Microsoft recommended
Windows updater said my system is fully up to date.
What version is yours.
Same as yours avid. The update to 16299.192 is available as an offline installer but I'm not at all worried about it yet, if ever. May be nagged to install it in the future but could have an adverse effect speedwise whilst gaming.
Like most I chose carefully when building my system and chose an unlocked cpu which could easily be overclocked to increase speed. To now install an update to curb my speed goes against the grain. A few class action suits and hopefully there will be some type of reduced price to upgrade.

Problem is almost all are affected anyway :rolleyes:

Same as yours avid. The update to 16299.192 is available as an offline installer but I'm not at all worried about it yet, if ever. May be nagged to install it in the future but could have an adverse effect speedwise whilst gaming.
Like most I chose carefully when building my system and chose an unlocked cpu which could easily be overclocked to increase speed. To now install an update to curb my speed goes against the grain. A few class action suits and hopefully there will be some type of reduced price to upgrade.

Problem is almost all are affected anyway :rolleyes:

I have installed it anyway. I don't really use power hungry application so I probably will not really notice.

This is quite a complex fix, as mutliple vendors need to releases fix at same time.

Firsty you need to install a Windows patch, but also a CPU microcode patch will need to be installed, which will either come from CPU manufacturer or hardware vendor, now if you patch Windows, you AV will not work as the patch changes some kernel stuff, which your AV needs access to, so I would wait till all 3 patches have been released.

On top of this, with the patch expect performance of your server/desktop to go down by as much as 30% - the vulnerability is based on CPU prediction on what next code to run, if they disable this, then you will get performance issues

And US Cert - the american security body recommend replacing the CPU

And US Cert - the american security body recommend replacing the CPU
That'll work :rolleyes: replace it with another flawed cpu or find one not using x86 architecture and probably need to change your mobo while you're at it. Before you do, check that your ram will be compatible with the new mobo else replace that while you're at it as well.

That would be a nice combo to test Win 10 revalidation :)

That would be a nice combo to test Win 10 revalidation :)

Re validation works aslong as your microsoft account is linked to the pc. I know I changed motherboard and cpu earlier last month and all i had to do was run the validation troubleshooter.

Back