Clone boxes destroyed by gemini

Emmm... thought DMM is doing right, but a bit changed by your idea.

Yes, I think DMM should not punish the user. they should not be put in the situation that to identify the clone. They are not the expert. They should fight the source of clone - the factory they trained.

Maybe take a computer (dreambox is a computer) for instance, somebody cloned IBBM notebook, The user don't know and bought and maybe store very valuable data in it. But some day, IBBM release a time bomb to delete all his data. that will be a crime. (deleting of the bootloader results in all data lost)

maybe not good example, but start to understand what you are saying.

I don't think we are condoning cloned boxes, but DMM have not acted correctly ALL the software is covered under the GNU agreement, which ALLOWS the cloning companies to use it, they (the cloning companies) have done nothing wrong by using it. As to the hardware from what I have read is reference so also nothing wrong. In fact the only legal issue against some of the cloning companies is using the DMM name and that does not apply to them all.

Basically the cloning companies that do not use the DMM name, may be morally wrong but not legally.

DMM may be morally right in their reaction, but not legally.

Anyway thats how I see it, if I,m wrong please explain how.

At the very least, they need to release a definitive tester - something quick and easy that a novice could use to test their box.

Still dont under stand this argument, i must be missing something are you condoning cloned boxes and expecting dream to support them, Do you really want to loose the major player in the dvb linux market in favour of cloned manufactures who will quickly abandon the market and move to the next product for a quick buck.

No one is condoning clones,or stealing or altering someones intellectual product but thats exactly what dream multimedia have done!
you have seen the evidence as posted above.Dream Multimedia illegally altered code to destroy someones property.they stole the bootloader and then had the cheek to alter it to destoy people who were using cloned bersions of their hardware.A very ironic situation!
they dont have a leg to stand on and you are just avoiding admitting they have done wrong.

Are clones wrong-yes
Are dream multimedia wrong-yes

Last edited:
I am quite sure DMM consulted someone before they (or whoever as we do not have confirmation of DMM that they actually did this) released this "Bomb" into the community.

All we can do here is speculate about "their" legal rights but as said above we have no proof neither are we legally trained / experienced in the Law.

Again,

the cloned Boxes are not dead. You can get them back working but it is a bit more hassle and 95% of the users here won't be able to do so.

DMM had to consult a more or less illegal forum fo spread the killer virus.
The official cvs server doesn't offer the head.ko with killer virus.
The reason they did it that way is its simply not allowed to code and spread viruses in Germany. If the killer virus reach the cvs the police is in the house the next day.

Source: http://developer.elitedvb.net/listprojects.php?curr_dir=64

sourcecodes
Kernel patches, ...

As a rule of thumb, everything contained in images for the dreambox is licensed as an open-source license, like GPL. One exception is our binary only kernel driver (head.ko, dream.o or xilleon.ko), which for multiple (unnamed) reasons can't be licensed as GPL (or similiar). We believe that it's *not* a derived-work of the kernel and thus, this licensing scheme is ok. In case you want to discuss this, email me with strong arguments, if possible with some which I haven't heard already.

If you have special questions about the licensing of a specific part (be it an executable or whatever) of the firmware, feel free to email me.

In case you aren't able to download any of the sources you need, contact me as well. We can send you a CD with all sources for the costs of production and handling.

Kernelpatches are available here:
ftp://ftp.de.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/v2.6/linux-2.6.9.tar.bz2
http://sources.dreamboxupdate.com/download/kernel-patches/linuxppc-2.6.9-r1.diff.bz2
http://sources.dreamboxupdate.com/download/kernel-patches/linuxppc-2.6.9-dream-s3.diff.bz2

DM7000:
All userspace applications and utilities should be included in the tuxbox-cvs. Instructions for "checking out" files (aka. downloading them) are here:
http://cvs.tuxbox.org/.
You can also browse the repository. We do not provide snapshots - a cvs checkout is the only source for these files, as this reduces bandwidth (you can always update your local files).

Note that the most convenient way to compile these files is using Linux. It might be possible with cygwin or other Unix-styled OS, but most developers are using Linux, so you're on your own if you're not using Linux.

DM7020/DM7025:
All our changes reside in a branch in the OpenEmbedded repository (branchname is org.openembedded.dreambox). For detailed instructions on how to get them, please look at http://developer.elitedvb.net/listprojects.php?curr_dir=81. In case you *really* want a large single .tar.gz, get this (contains as well GPL as non-GPL stuff, individual licenses apply). It's a snapshot of everything used to build a recent image. I highly recommend using monotone to access the meta data instead.

config-2.6.5 .config for 2.6.x
config_2_4_20_PPPOE .config for 2.4.20
COPYING All stuff here is of course covered by the GPL, the GNU General Public License.
dm7k_newIIC_48bit_fix_pppoe.diff patch against linuxppc_2_4_devel
dr_img_rel108_enigma.diff Diff for enigma in 1.0.8
linux-2.6.5.dm7000.diff patch against plain linuxppc-2.5, 2.6.5
back

Are you kidding?
The theme is DM500 and clones, not DM 7000/7020/7025.
Beside that if you find the head.ko with killer virus at the cvs say it and I will report an offence to the german police

More to that im more interested in the 'unnamed' reasons?

Is it because DMM did actually rip off proprietary DBOX code?

mgb how do you always get the answers i take it you have been aroung the scene for a few years your like a dbox/dreambox manual :proud:

The dbox linux code is open source and gpl.

I was talking specifically about head.ko

It seems that the argument is that DMM have a right to protect their copyrighted bootloader.

If the bootloader code was ripped from DBOX then this argument would fail.

If all code is under the gpl, then they cannot complain about clone code, just clones of hardware design.

Still, it is imho not the correct way to protect copyright, by specifically writing code to break clones.

Are we near longest thread ever yet? ;)

Can someone show me where the bootloader is copywrited and not under a GPL?

I was talking specifically about head.ko

It seems that the argument is that DMM have a right to protect their copyrighted bootloader.

If the bootloader code was ripped from DBOX then this argument would fail.

If all code is under the gpl, then they cannot complain about clone code, just clones of hardware design.

Still, it is imho not the correct way to protect copyright, by specifically writing code to break clones.

Are we near longest thread ever yet? ;)

Copyright is only a excuse from a virus coder. The whole thing was a none official action based at a more or less illegal forum.
DMM was maybe involved, maybe not. There is no proof of any participation from DMM.
If such a action would had been done officially the police would have visited DMM.

Back