Cinavia Fix?

Smok3y666

Inactive User
Reaction score
Is there any fix for the Cinavia audio copy protection on PS3? Just started to watch Battle For LA and the audio went off. I've only had a PS3 for a few days and it's starting to get on my nerves. Glad I haven't got rid of my 360 yet, looks like the PS3 will be going back up for sale.

Watched it last night on km3.55 with MultiMan with 5.1

The file was an .mkv 5.1dts played fine. This is the only reason that keeps me from updating to 3.61 its a fantastic stand alone video player no streaming because all the HD films are kept on a 1Tb internal drive. Have given up on the Ps3 has a games machine,will use jtag 360 for the latest games and if the 360 gets a mkv player as good has this then the Ps3's going for sure.

I'm on 3.61. I ended plugging the usb drive in the back of my TV, problem solved. I was just curious of the PS3's multimedia facilities as i've only had it a few days. The file I have is a HD Xvid 720p with AC3 5.1 apparently Sony are adding this Cinavia thing into most of their movies to stop piracy.

I'm on 3.61. I ended plugging the usb drive in the back of my TV, problem solved. I was just curious of the PS3's multimedia facilities as i've only had it a few days. The file I have is a HD Xvid 720p with AC3 5.1 apparently Sony are adding this Cinavia thing into most of their movies to stop piracy.

Cinavia is on the PS3 itself. It checks for an audio watermark. Eg, if the video is from blu-ray, and its playing on a dvd, then the watermark dont match, so it stops. There are no ways around it sadly.

This has just started happening to me too? never had a problem before i updated to ofw 3.61 now some downloaded films work & some dont?? seems to be the most recent downloaded films that dont work, ie last couple of weeks.

this is a bummer as i only use this perticular ps3 for playing films from externall usb hdd on my tv.

is this a new feature in 3.61??

will hook up a ofw 3.10 console tommorow & see if the same films work or not on an earlier firmware. will let you know.

cheers

steve.....

just tried it with my ofw 3.10 & does not work, still get the error after about 1 minute..... 8-(

It dotn matter what fw you try it on. It dont work on any of them. lol The audio watermark is wrong, so it wont play.

Only way around this is to get a 360 and play everything on that.

shame....... 8-(

i have an old 360 arcade that i could use (running out of space though on my tv unit lol)

before i do this i have just started a thread in the LG hacks forum, im hoping that my LG freesat tv can be usb hacked, that would be just fab.....

cheers

Steve......

There is a new media player for ps3 soon that by passes it i think.

Showtime
h*tp://psgroove.com/content.php?895-Showtime-PS3-Homebrew-Home-Theater-System-Released-%28PS3-Mediaplayer%29&

install CFW (Custom FirmWare) eg Kmeaw, very easy to do.
(usb memory stick required)

install showtime (which is as a pkg which will add it as if it were a downloadable content game.

and here is more abuot the protection

ht*p://forum.doom9.org/showthread.php?t=155777

cheers mate, this ps3 is on ofw 3.61 (security sticker intact) so no custom firmware atm. Was thinking of jailbreaking the 3.10 but then thinking i might sell that one as i think 3.10 is a desirable firmware (still has install other operating system) I have another one on 3.50 i think so might have a switch around & use that one. Then theres the 80gb other one i have but that doesnt have a bluray board or drive with it.....

think i will have to get rid of some of theese consoles lol.......

If you run the MKV file through MKV2VOB it takes off the Cinavia watermark, then you can stream the file using ps3mediaserver or put the film on a USB flash or hard drive.

Just enable "Always Transcode DTS" and it removes the watermark.

It keep the HD resolution and surroundsound.

It's very fast too.

Have now got it working...... here is what i had to do.

1. download the file as .mkv
2. download & install on laptop MKVMERGE - version GUI v3.3.0 (language)
3. use mkvmerge to remux the .MKV file
4. download & install on laptop mkv2vob
5. use mkv2vob with newly created movie file
6. copy file created by mkv2vob to usb hdd
7. play on ps3 with no cinavia problems.

## only do steps 2 & 3 if step 5 shows txmuxer stopped working errors ##

i didnt fully understand what i was doing & its a bit long winded but it did work.

Just hope it was all wouth it, file was "just go with it" lol (some one else wanted to watch it, not me heheh)

hope this helps others....

steve

God. Took me far to long to register just to post that all you have to do is change the year on your ps3to 2012.

This sorts it, if you use playtv etc, switch it back after playing with the year at 2012 for 2 mins where you would normally get the code 3 error.

Im sure sony will plug this eventually but works for now.

i didnt fully understand what i was doing & its a bit long winded but it did work.

Just hope it was all wouth it, file was "just go with it" lol (some one else wanted to watch it, not me heheh)

steve

You dont need steps 2 & 3 the Cinavia protection only seems to affect DTS sound. To get rid of it run the MKV files through MKV2VOB and select the option to decode DTS. This takes around 30 seconds. It will turn the DTS audio into Dolby Digital, it keeps the full picture quality and keeps the full 5.1 surroundsound, just stops the Cinavia.

It also makes the file an MPG instead of MKV which means it will play on the PS3 natively, unlike MKV.

Also the latest rebug CFW is supposed to disable Cinavia too, but cannot confirm.

Last edited:
Quote Originally Posted by stevecuns View Post

steve

Also found this out the hard way, by using MKVMERGE to remux avi and mp4 files to an mkv file then muxing it to an mpg file with mkv2vob worked like a dream, just make sure always transcode to DTS is checked.

Works with Friends with Benefits and Girl With The Dragon Tattoo (2011)

Back