choosing new 13" laptop

BIG-HOL

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
guys im looking to buy a new 13 inch screen laptop but struggling to find any good deals on them at the minute, my budget is at most £400 but ideally would be around £300 mark, would love 1 with around 4gb memory and an i5 processor but maybe im asking too much, can any recommend any or see any good deals on at the moment, been looking at the asus models and also love the look of the acer s3 but sadly its way over my budget, any help trying to find a good deal would be great!

if you wait until after xmas i could get you one of these puppies for £400
brand new like, same specs and stuff, could really do with it before christmas, lol! ill take it into consideration though!

Do you have more money than sense lol!

I'm sure by now you have enough kit to be able to support a small school, or indeed make a donation to a worthy cause...oh say for example the "Northern IT Association of the North West", just inside the borders of Liverpool, but not far enough in to be considered to far enough for a delivery.

We...I mean they accept all equipment donations over the value of £200 ;)

Last edited:
unfortunately dont have loadsa wonga mate, just sold my 2 laptops that i had advertised here, so im on the lookout for a new 1!

got a dell 14z with i5 ,4 gig ram ,640 gig drive for daughters christmas for £360 delivered from the dell outlet

14 inch screen but best i can think of for the money

unfortunately dont have loadsa wonga mate, just sold my 2 laptops that i had advertised here, so im on the lookout for a new 1!

I'm thinking about doing the same, I have two laptops I don't really use. One of them I've just repaired and it's now sitting on my shelf, the other has sat in it's bag for the best part of the last 8 months.....they are both core2duo, one has 4GB a blu-ray player and 3450HD ATI card (Acer Aspire 5920G) and a Compaq 610.

Then I'm thinking I want a mini server, or a mac or a new tablet.....

Just can't decide.

Last edited:
i love the look of the macs but there way overpriced in my eyes, tablets are good for messing about on but thats as far as id go on that, still find myself booting my laptop up if i need to do anything proper, and as for a server iv always questioned myself about getting 1, then thinking what would i actually do with it, lol!

I know I'm going off your topic, but the server is more for my development as well as some home based tinkering. I want to spend more time with virtualisation. I already use Citrix XenServer quite heavily in work, and I've touched VMWare/ESX 3.5, but also wanted to look more into it's progression with VSphere4/5, plus seemingly a lot of the solution architects I work with tend to have their own test environment, and that's where I'm ultimately moving into.

The Mac side is because in the new year I'm supposedly getting my Apple training and certification so the company I work for can become a solution partner.

Last edited:
the only pc i have ever used more than my desktop is the one i had fitted in my car
just not got a round to putting it in my new one

well im looking into this now as i absolutely love the look of it and good performance too.

http://www.comet.co.uk/p/Laptops/buy-ACER-ASPIRE-S3-Laptop/774570?cm_mmc=Google+Shopping-_-Feed-_-Laptops-_-774570_Acer__ASPIRE_S3&_$ja=tsid:8360%7Ccc:%7Cprd:ASPIRE+S3%7Ccat:Laptops&utm_source=google&utm_medium=base&utm_campaign=products

anyone find it anywhere else cheaper!

found it on john lewis for same price but with 2 year guarantee, i assume the other 1's are only 1 year from comet and pc world, bang goes my budget if i buy this 1 lol!

only think that puts me off that is its acer most of there lappys are not the best build quality

Had two acers and they have been superb.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

there revo and newer desktops are ok but there older lappys are shit and have 3 that need looking at here
all needing the same things hard drives , batterys and fans
all these on the acer laptops tend to go more often then the others i have delt with
ok the hard drives are not really the makers fault unless down to poor shock resist or placement

You can't really say it's bad build quality when the likes of batteries and fans go, they are replacement items and there are usage factors to consider, any model laptop can suffer the same, I buy and use HPs and IBM in the hundreds and even new I always have to return several DOA or with faults

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

yes all laptops fans batterys and bits go just quicker on the acer machine in my view as thats really about 50% of all the machines we sort
but maybe thats because there cheap to buy and flooding the market
just seem to be newer machine than say a dell with same fault

Back