CCTV over Cat5e / Cat6

Bally12345

VIP Member
VIP Member
Reaction score
Just installed a normal CCTV system using Cat6 cable works brilliantly and future proofing for when IP cameras and NVRs come down in price.

Used cat6 and twisted blue pair for video and twister orange pair for power. For longer runs you can double your pairs to get more bandwidth and power but I didn't find it necessary.

Anyway anyone have any questions feel free to ask im no expert but will try to help where I can. I used all QVIS equipment but other generic brands should work just the same.

From the post sounds like just the twisted pairs used with no baluns, Power and Video baluns are only a few quid now so running Cat5E/6 seems to be the prefered method although Cat5E is good enough for up to 100m

I wired an entire aircraft hangar using good quality cat5 (one run was 205M from DVR to camera) and baluns, all with no problems

I didn't think NVR's were any dearer than conventional ones TBH, though the cameras are still somewhat more expensive. A couple of years ago I bought two recorders, it wasn't until I got to playing with them that I discovered they are hybrids. They weren't expensive and, with a couple of 500GB drives from redundant Sky+HD boxes, they're still going strong (touch wood!).

Sorry for late reply I used a single orange pair for power and blue pair for video using passive baluns on both ends. Works really well.

Images are from internet but for even longer runs you can double up the pairs.

Attachments

• 51M1N1KsRhL__SX466_.jpg
    51M1N1KsRhL__SX466_.jpg
    30.5 KB · Views: 23
  • 20130926_132000.jpg
    20130926_132000.jpg
    1.3 MB · Views: 5
Back