Cctv over cat5 or cat6 anyone feedback ?

Rs2k_Rider

DW's Resident Medic
Reaction score
Hi all.

Looking at using cat5 or cat6 to run cctv installs I do sometimes.
They are usually out of the box dvr systems like Maplins sell. 4-9 dvr cam kits.

Running the supplied cables is sometimes problematic ( just done one in house with no soffit or facia boards and was poured reinforced concrete walls so had trouble get trying big bnc plugs through the walls)

I would like to run cat5/6 cable for video and power over same cable run. As in two twisted pairs for power and two for video to bnc baluns.

Does anyone have any experience with this set up with how quality is etc.

Ty in advance.

Sent from my iPhone using Fingers and thumbs ...

No direct experience M8 but observations based on UTP cabling faults.

There's no reason why quality should be poor and most comes down to poor termination. It's very important with solid core UTP that the twists are maintained, keep the terminations as short as possible and minimise any stress on said terminations.

Simply put, use a decent quality Krone tool, maintain the twists and secure the cable(s) at the terminations with clips or clamps.

Most the bnc Baluns use screw clamps I think to hold cables in place ? Stripped ends of course.

Would it not be cheaper and easier to just solder the cam to the cable without any connectors. Or if you like having connectors cut them off and solder back to the cable? Cat5/6 can be quiet expensive and if you have a load of cable coming with a kit might as well use it?

Do you mean cut the power and bnc off the cable that comes as stock an re solder back ?

Yes bit of solder and the right size heat shrink and the jobs a good un.

I use Cat5e now on all installs its nice and thin and has everything you need to run Video,Power & audio if required even PTZ.

you can either use the strip screw baluns as suggested or use the pre-done ethernet baluns and terminate your ends as normal this way could always be used with IP in the future

So could terminate with Ethernet Baluns ? Got a link to quality ones as I've seen some shocking ones so far.

something like this is not bad
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

there are plenty of other similar brands from other cctv company's, but as you pointed out earlier screw type Video & Power baluns are slightly cheaper and you dont have to crimp on RJ45 on each end, personally though for the extra expense if you crimp its setup for a straight swap for IP if needed

something like this is not bad
Code:
You don't have permission to view the code content. Log in or register now.

there are plenty of other similar brands from other cctv company's, but as you pointed out earlier screw type Video & Power baluns are slightly cheaper and you dont have to crimp on RJ45 on each end, personally though for the extra expense if you crimp its setup for a straight swap for IP if needed

I'd give them a go if can find some bulk cheaper tbh.

Then need some external cat5e and terminals. Got a crimp here somewhere although might just buy a new kit tbh

I'd give them a go if can find some bulk cheaper tbh.

Then need some external cat5e and terminals. Got a crimp here somewhere although might just buy a new kit tbh

£25-£30 per 100 metres, avoid grey :)

i ran shielded cat5 all around an aircraft hanger (one run was 180M) with ethernet crimps on each end, one balun at the camera and one at the dvr. if a long cable run and youre using eternet connectors, ensure you get good quality cable, otherwise the voltage drop will stop the camera from working, but, you could then use 2 pairs and a screw terminal DC jack instead, with a stand alone crimp on video balun, which ive had to do in the past

im a swann approved installer via TSG, so if you buy a kit from maplins and pay them to install it in south wales, theres a high chance itll be me knocking your door (as TSG only have 2 engineers in south wales, and im their only CCTV one) and i igree, the cables they supply are terrible as you need to drill a huge hole, but, they work just as well if you cut then and splice them back together m8 ;) 3 cables through a 10mm hole then ;)

i ran shielded cat5 all around an aircraft hanger (one run was 180M) with ethernet crimps on each end, one balun at the camera and one at the dvr. if a long cable run and youre using eternet connectors, ensure you get good quality cable, otherwise the voltage drop will stop the camera from working, but, you could then use 2 pairs and a screw terminal DC jack instead, with a stand alone crimp on video balun, which ive had to do in the past

im a swann approved installer via TSG, so if you buy a kit from maplins and pay them to install it in south wales, theres a high chance itll be me knocking your door (as TSG only have 2 engineers in south wales, and im their only CCTV one) and i igree, the cables they supply are terrible as you need to drill a huge hole, but, they work just as well if you cut then and splice them back together m8 ;) 3 cables through a 10mm hole then ;)

Sister in laws grandad got a 960h Swan kit I think it was.
Pretty good kit tbh

How so you get approved as an installer ?

www.systemq.com
these are the baluns i use, i used the screw in type and there a pain in the arse, also baluns without pigtails sometimes don't fit together on the dvr as the bnc inputs are to close together.

i won't cut any thing on the camera end, if cam don't work you can't send it back.

The ones i linked to where just an example and the DVR end even on those baluns are the Pigtail ones i have yet to come across a set that dont fit no matter how close together the BNC connectors are.

On another note i started doing Kguard 960H and just vied a new model in the warehouse this week its IP so both ends are RJ45 so no baluns required, Again it all depends on Budget as with anything these days.

Grey sheathed cables are regarded as having higher degradation rates in UV light and are generally avoided.

That said, it's a bit picky of me :)

www.systemq.com
these are the baluns i use, i used the screw in type and there a pain in the arse, also baluns without pigtails sometimes don't fit together on the dvr as the bnc inputs are to close together.

i won't cut any thing on the camera end, if cam don't work you can't send it back.

How much do they work out bud ? Can't see the price not got account.

I'm going to be putting a mini done in at home soon and can't run bulky cable as it's next to front door. So gonna run cat5e with rj45s on as can just drop it through wall under floor :) into dvr above.

Grey sheathed cables are regarded as having higher degradation rates in UV light and are generally avoided.

That said, it's a bit picky of me :)

ok, i never use grey where uv light would affect the cable, i only use external black for that

How much do they work out bud ? Can't see the price not got account.

I'm going to be putting a mini done in at home soon and can't run bulky cable as it's next to front door. So gonna run cat5e with rj45s on as can just drop it through wall under floor :) into

i think about £25 for a pair, but i've never had a prob with these

Back