Cat6 outside advice

Mick

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
Reaction score
I actually had no choice lol, I needed to get 6 x cat6 cables from my upstairs cupboard to my living room cupboard, and the only way I could do it was running them on a wall outside. I know there is outside cat6 but I could not get any, and the time of this installation was the last two days as free time came up and it was something I wanted doing.

So I run it down the wall that gets the least sun and when it does get the sun its when its coming down, evening temp.

But this is the question, is there a paint I can buy that will protect it a little more, I do not think it will just crumble as I know it cannot be installed in temps below -5 but once installed it should be fine to -40

If there was some paint that would help with UV and weather properties without corroding the cable that might be very helpful.

I read allot on the net about some people having cat5 there for years so I guess it might be fine ?

Cheers all.

Mick

think i heard it would need replacing in 10 years to be safe.

I've had 3 grey cat 5e cables down my outside wall for 3 years and no problems yet! They run my Xbox media centres in 3 rooms and all are used daily! You'll be fine I'd say

Have a half a dozen shielded cat5e drops that I put in 7 or 8 years ago and they seem fine. Just ran them along side the sat cable.

Sorry I never got back to this, I run the cable down the building, if anything goes wrong I will change them at alter date to cat6 outside cable.

But I think it will be fine :)

Thanks for all the replies.

Regards
Mick

What colour is your cat6 cable mines purple lol so cant run it as it is lol

grey mate.

I was just wondering if there was a uv paint that wouldu not destroy the cable

U need what is called duct grade cat 5 or cat 6 for out door use it cost a bit more if it's not a big run I'm sure I could sort u out with some as I use it in work all the time

Last edited:
As previous posters have said put it in conduit mine is covered in a plastic D shaped cover with a flange,same stuff the cable companies use to cover cables.

Looks neater as well instead of all those cables running up the wall.
:Clap:

Probably already done it but just in case
I bought a roll of cat 5 duct quality outdoor cable (black) 300 metres for €116 including vat, (that was in rip of Ireland) so it cant be that much more expensive than normal cat cable
regards DLB

Back