CARLOS HELP!! How do you install Tomtom on N96?

imranrasool

Inactive User
Reaction score
Hello guys,

Finally got my N96 today and want to install Tomtom on it. I've done installation on N95 and N95 8GB with the internal fix file and the tom tom.sisx files but the tomtom doesnt want to install on the N96. I already know the internal gps fix wont work as advised by Carlos, so have a seperate bluetooth receiver but am having problems getting it to start up.

I have got it to install, but when I click the TomTom icon nothing happens at all. Could someone please advise.

Thanks

Imran

where did you copy the tom tom files to ? SD card or internal memory

where did you copy the tom tom files to ? SD card or internal memory

I copied everything to the root memory of mass memory mate, I used the same files I used on the N95. I used the tomtom installation file from the internal gps fix attachment in this thread, along with the tom tom folder from the folder which says copy this to the root of the memory.

I also had the zip file and the 6.75 maps which I copied to the root of the mass memory. When i ran the application through the file browser on my pc i continued the installation on the phone. It installed everything okay, when i try to launch the tomtom icon in the applications folder, it just does nothing doesnt try to start or get spinning globe or anything like that.

try going into applications manager and see if theres a tom tom .sis file. if there is just click on it and it should install.

try going into applications manager and see if theres a tom tom .sis file. if there is just click on it and it should install.

I've just tried that mate, it is there and when i run install it installs fine and says installation complete. In applications when i go to the icon and click open nothing happens it just sits there does nothing and doesnt try to run. I know it works as installed in on my n95 and my brother n95 8gb few days ago.

Any idea what i'm doing wrong?

did you copy the actual tom tom folder to the mass memory ?

If you did try opening the tom tom folder on your PC, goto edit, select all, copy. now paste these onto the mass storage instead of the actual tom tom folder. see if that works

did you copy the actual tom tom folder to the mass memory ?

If you did try opening the tom tom folder on your PC, goto edit, select all, copy. now paste these onto the mass storage instead of the actual tom tom folder. see if that works

the tomtom folder is full of .chk files which i assume are voices, do i have to have a different .sis tomtom file other than the one used by the internal gps receiver?

no m8, wont have thought so as the internal gps is manipulated with the gpsd and bt.sis files.

you could try installing a different version 6 from here m8 to see if that one will work

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/112878/

I thought as well mate, Give me about half hour I'm going to try everything and report back. As megaupload is running a little slow at the moment.

Thanks so much for your time bud.

Last edited by a moderator:
no m8, wont have thought so as the internal gps is manipulated with the gpsd and bt.sis files.

you could try installing a different version 6 from here m8 to see if that one will work

https://www.digitalworldz.co.uk/index.php?threads/112878/

your suspicions were right mate, it had to be a different tom tom 6 installer as the gps internal receiver one had been altered to work with bt and gpsd.

For anyone who wishes to try this heres how I did it.

1. Use the link in this reply to download tomtom mobile 6 and the maps if you dont already have them.

2. Extract all the files and put all the files in the root of the mass memory. There should be four folders, ZIP, raster, tomtom and voices. Also a sis file called TomTom.Mobile.v6.01.S60v3.SymbianOS9.1.sis. PLEASE note the ZIP folder is contained within the postcode folder you have extracted, please make sure you copy the zip folder over, take it out of the postcode folder before doing so else the postcode search facility wont work.

3. Then run the TomTom.Mobile.v6.01.S60v3.SymbianOS9.1.sis file that you have just extracted. I used Nokia PC suite to explore my device and double clicked the sis to start the installation, you will be asked are you sure say yes, then it will tell you to continue the installation on the phone. Just look at your phone and follow the simple instructions. NOTE, YOU MAY HAVE PROBLEMS RUNNING SIS FILES THROUGH VISTA SO IF YOU DO IT THIS WAY DO IT THROUGH XP.

3.1 If you don't have xp, after copying the files, run the sis file through your phone by going to Tools>File mgr go to your mass memory and at the bottom you will find the TomTom.Mobile.v6.01.S60v3.SymbianOS9.1.sis file.

4. Once completed simply setup as per usual tomtom options. When asked about gps receiver, you will not be able to use the internal gps receiver until the patch is released, but can use an external bluetooth gps receiver. Choose the other bluetooth gps receiver and switch bluetooth on if not on already and get a connection and thats it you're done.

POSSIBLE PROBLEMS AND HOW TO RESOLVE.

Certificate has expired - if you get this problem don't worry, all you need to do is two things. Firstly change the date on your phone, I used 08/07/2007, as long as it tracked back by at least a year you'll be fine. Also go to Settings>Applications>App Manager and make sure software installation is showing "ALL" and online certificate check is "OFF".

Also you will notice when inputting addresses especially postcodes you will have a noticeable lag, this is completely normal having researched the net and is being put down to the slower processor in the N96 but the navigation side of it runs almost the same as before.

Thats it you're good to go, any other issues report back here and I will try my best and if I can't I'm sure Carlos will have the answer.

THIS IS JUST MY WAY OF SAYING THANK YOU, ESPECIALLY TO YOU CARLOS.

ENJOY!!!

Last edited by a moderator:
All working here as well mate...Seems a little slow though...No worries.
Just need a tweak to use the internal receiver now....

Cheers boys..

All working here as well mate...Seems a little slow though...No worries.
Just need a tweak to use the internal receiver now....

Cheers boys..

Hiya bud, yeah it when typing in the destination either via address or postcode there is alot of lag, but having used it all day today the navigation itself is spot on and runs as well as n95.

I hear tomtom 7 is being released with a view to be compatible with n95/n96 and will run alot smoother as it will be built with a symbian infrastructure in mind but will wait and see.

Yeah looking forward to a patch for the internal gps receiver.

I have tried both versions of Tomtom 6 as instructions given but still get an "unable to install" message when trying to install. Tried installing on mass storage and microsd card, both error.
No problems installing either versions on the N95 i have ???
Perhaps i have different firmware on my N96 as i am the only one so far with this error ?

I will keep trying .....................

never new you could get tom tom on n96 until reading this lol, its all up and running on mine now thanks to this, nice one cheers

Back