Car Ownership Legal Question

Kris

DW Member ++
Reaction score
My girlfriend bought an old Fiesta in September and sold it a couple of weeks later.

She handed over the V5 and everything but the guy she sold it to never sent away to get it updated. Weeks later she gets a parking ticket sent to her house. That all gets sorted.

She then gets a letter about the tax running out and thought he'd surely sort it then to be able to tax it. Contacted the DVLA and told them she didn't own the car anymore and thought it would be the end of it.

Few weeks ago she gets a fine through the mail though demanding money for not taxing it! Rang up the guy she sold it to and he said he'd scrapped it! But he offered to pay it but haven't been able to get in touch with him since! DVLA don't want to know and say it's her problem and she has to pay the fine.

What can she do about this?

My girlfriend bought an old Fiesta in September and sold it a couple of weeks later.

She handed over the V5 and everything but the guy she sold it to never sent away to get it updated. Weeks later she gets a parking ticket sent to her house. That all gets sorted.

She then gets a letter about the tax running out and thought he'd surely sort it then to be able to tax it. Contacted the DVLA and told them she didn't own the car anymore and thought it would be the end of it.

Few weeks ago she gets a fine through the mail though demanding money for not taxing it! Rang up the guy she sold it to and he said he'd scrapped it! But he offered to pay it but haven't been able to get in touch with him since! DVLA don't want to know and say it's her problem and she has to pay the fine.

What can she do about this?

nothing she can do except pay up, though she may have some luck with the parking tickets, it was her responsibility to send off the form, not the purchaser. its a common trick car buying low lives do, to avoid both paying tax and parking/speeding tickets. but the fact remains, if you read the log paper carefully, it clearly states that the current keeper is to send off the slip. sorry but that's how it goes.

next time do a written receipt with both you and buyer signing confirming date and registration

next time do a written receipt with both you and buyer signing confirming date and registration

that wont make any difference, car would still be registered to you as far as the dvla are concerned...the seller has to return the tear off part of the V5 and send it to the dvla like boboboy said

it is a bad situation and no doubt. beleive me, i took no pleasure in passing on the information. however its hard to find a better way of ensuring this does not happen, than the system in use now. you should though try and contest the parking tickets, or at least look at the fesability of doing so.

that wont make any difference, car would still be registered to you as far as the dvla are concerned...the seller has to return the tear off part of the V5 and send it to the dvla like boboboy said

yes it does mate, the dvla then note the car down as no reg keeper... which in turn flags it on ANPR systems to be pulled in.

She would of needed to send proof of the receipt to dvla then they would of scrapped the fines etc.... now if she had said shes sent the slip but it must of got lost in the post.... but she has a receipt... :p which im sure you have, and it did get lost in the post didnt it.... :p

you might just swing it

yes it does mate, the dvla then note the car down as no reg keeper... which in turn flags it on ANPR systems to be pulled in.

She would of needed to send proof of the receipt to dvla then they would of scrapped the fines etc.... now if she had said shes sent the slip but it must of got lost in the post.... but she has a receipt... :p which im sure you have, and it did get lost in the post didnt it.... :p

you might just swing it

very interesting, first time i have heard of anyone getting the fines lifted. and dvla clearly state you will be responsible for any costs relating to the vehicle, if you do not forward the slip. not sure its on the slip, it might be in the gumph that comes with it. worth a try though

Parking ticket was sorted fine. Sent the form back with the details of the new owner. Heard nothing more about it. I was hoping this would help pass proof on to the DVLA though that she no longer owned the car. DVLA said it wasn't good enough but police recognised it fine! Even called the DVLA when she had this parking ticket and they told her there'd be no more problems with the car.

Unfortunately, I wasn't there when she sold the car and thought she'd sorted the DVLA form! Just hope this bloke will bloody pay up! He's not answering her calls now anyway.

Fortunately it is someone she knows from university though so hopefully get hold of him come September!

very interesting, first time i have heard of anyone getting the fines lifted. and dvla clearly state you will be responsible for any costs relating to the vehicle, if you do not forward the slip. not sure its on the slip, it might be in the gumph that comes with it.

But as I say.... you "did" forward the slip... but nothing you can do if they didnt get it :p

you see... loophole... :)

you might just swing it

Worth a shot :proud:

Last time I suggested doing something like that though (can't remember what it was!), she wasn't interested! DVLA sound cold though :p

l had to write a quick letter to here and it was sorted in a few days

Vehicle Customer Services
(VCS)
DVLA Swansea SA99 1AR

l had to write a quick letter to here and it was sorted in a few days

Vehicle Customer Services
(VCS)
DVLA Swansea SA99 1AR

Awesome. I take it you've been in the same position?

l got stung for tax on a car l traded in .. if u dont send the yellow or blue slip in u have to pay

I had the same problem. I received a fine for not paying tax on a car i had sold. I phoned DVLA told them I'd sold the car months before and they let me off no questions asked.

I was shocked!!!

u were lucky then because theres only one phone line into there now and thats there payment line and your not allowed to argue the fine .. it all has to be gone by letter

if it was resent post the number and wot department u asked for or got to talk too . will help aothers

Last edited:
u were lucky then because theres only one phone line into there now and thats there payment line and your not allowed to argue the fine .. it all has to be gone by letter

if it was resent post the number and wot department u asked for or got to talk too . will help aothers

What I was thinking. People on the phone weren't much help. Just kept telling my girlfriend she'd have to pay the fine. They even recognised over the phone in December that the car was no longer in her possession yet they still seem to think it is now when she called?!

i thought also its the seller who posts the return slip? i know i needed to when selling my car

i thought also its the seller who posts the return slip? i know i needed to when selling my car

Well my girlfriend didn't realise this! She just sold the car while I was out and that was the first I heard of it. Came back to find myself locked out of the house and her car gone! Was a bit late then.

Well my girlfriend didn't realise this! She just sold the car while I was out and that was the first I heard of it. Came back to find myself locked out of the house and her car gone! Was a bit late then.

how the fu*k can they fine you for no tax, {for all they know a car might be off the road in someones back garden}-------surely they would have to prove the car was on the road when it wasnt taxed ???????????? is this a new law ?? or i should say, a new scam by labour

how the fu*k can they fine you for no tax, {for all they know a car might be off the road in someones back garden}-------surely they would have to prove the car was on the road when it wasnt taxed ???????????? is this a new law ?? or i should say, a new scam by labour

When you dont tax a car you have to fill in a SORN certificate to state it is off the road but because Kris gf sold the car and did what she should by filling in her part of the form for selling it then she wouldnt have filled in a SORN because the car wasn't hers anymore, besides that...the car got a parking ticket which would have proved to them it wasn't in the back garden.

Back