Car diagnostic software

Munkey

Inactive User
Reaction score
Gent's,
Diagnostic noob here and I need some help. Is there any such thing as generic software which can be installed on a laptop and then connected to any car? I'm particularly interested in Land Rover and BMW software if that helps.

I think Fes had some stuff like this... I might be completely wrong though lol.... 100% someone a little while back had the diagnostic software for cars ?

I wonder if they are like motorola jobbies where you need special adaptors to program / read the buggers ?

I would suspect that you need to be in the trade to buy a bus unit or something.

Mickie

Depends what you want to do and the age of the cars. petrol models from 2000 on will be eobd compliant (european onboard diagnostic) and the main engine data can be read with any obd2 code reader and the codes cleared. You can spend anything from £20 for one of these up to £3000 for some really serious kit. Have a look on eb*y and you'll see tons of cloned equip from china. Like this
h**p://cgi.ebay.co.uk/BMW-GT1-DIS-SSS-COMPLETE-SYSTEM-Scanner-diagnostic-tool_W0QQitemZ280412551608QQcmdZViewItemQQptZUK_Diagnostic_Tools_Equipment?hash=item4149e3f9b8

Air bags and abs systems are all manufaturer specific there are some tools that will interface with a range of manufacturers, but you'll be looking at the higher end tools for that.

thebigman

Hmm haven't seen Fes in ages, I'll drop him a PM though. Thanks for the info Mickie.

Had a quick looksy and it looks promising, there's quite a lot of talk on this subject on the internet. I've already some free suspension error message reset software which I don't need.

Hmm haven't seen Fes in ages, I'll drop him a PM though. Thanks for the info Mickie.

Had a quick looksy and it looks promising, there's quite a lot of talk on this subject on the internet. I've already some free suspension error message reset software which I don't need.

hi

what exactly do u need to do

and how in depth u want to go

as the kit i got costs £2500 upwards each
i have got multiple bits of kit .etc

let me know what u would like to to
and if its just for landrover and bmw or u would like to go into more cars .etc

Depends what you want to do and the age of the cars. petrol models from 2000 on will be eobd compliant (european onboard diagnostic) and the main engine data can be read with any obd2 code reader and the codes cleared. You can spend anything from £20 for one of these up to £3000 for some really serious kit. Have a look on eb*y and you'll see tons of cloned equip from china. Like this

Air bags and abs systems are all manufaturer specific there are some tools that will interface with a range of manufacturers, but you'll be looking at the higher end tools for that.

thebigman

Ouch that's far too expensive lol, I'd need a DW whip around to fund that. I guess I'm willing to spend £200 odd on interface tools. Thanks for your input though, I'll check ebay out. :Cheers:

hi

what exactly do u need to do

and how in depth u want to go

as the kit i got costs £2500 upwards each
i have got multiple bits of kit .etc

let me know what u would like to to
and if its just for landrover and bmw or u would like to go into more cars .etc

Frackin heck Fes, I know what you spent your student loan on ;)

I'm looking for something which can read error codes on a Mk III RR and BMW 1 series. The RR is more important as that costs a fortune to get fixed. I was thinking along the lines of, if I know what's wrong I can change the part myself, assuming I can get a service manual.

Thanks for your input.

OBD2 BMW ...

Try searching it on ebay you muppet.

:)

Maybe we should have a car section, few rooms for software and interface diagrams etc (make your own) and a car chat ?

Mickie

ucables have shed loads..........you'd need to know what to look for
also
canBusobd

Maybe we should have a car section, few rooms for software and interface diagrams etc (make your own) and a car chat ?

Mickie

didnt we have a car section???

but yes would be nice to have 1 here

were we could upload software, tips, tricks .etc

I've emailed the seller of that ebay OBD2 system regarding compatability. Shucks thanks V14

Bod & Fes :Cheers:

Something like this
h**p://www.dealextreme.com/details.dx/sku.16925]DealExtreme: $93.99 U581 CAN OBDII/EOBDII Memo Scanner with Live Data
would do the average DIYer. Knowing the fault codes is only part of it though. Contrary to popular belief mechanics dont just plug the diag tool in and it tells them what to fix. 99% of the time it tells us everthing is fine, it's all about knowing how to interpet what you see.

Car section wouldn't be a bad idea

thebigman

I've emailed the seller of that ebay OBD2 system regarding compatability. Shucks thanks V14

Bod & Fes :Cheers:

Awwww fanx.

Something like this would do the average DIYer. Knowing the fault codes is only part of it though. Contrary to popular belief mechanics dont just plug the diag tool in and it tells them what to fix. 99% of the time it tells us everthing is fine, it's all about knowing how to interpet what you see.

Car section wouldn't be a bad idea

thebigman

done a bit of detailing........would like to see a section also

DW had a car section and Smirnof gave excellent advice, but it was so hard to find it died on it's arse.

Back